Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Virtual DJ gets stuck (memory leak or something else) on all versions after 7183) - Page: 1
StwielaPRO InfinityMember since 2014
Dear all,
I have a problem with all versions of Virtual DJ after build 7183 (so all builts after VDJ 2021). I tested it on 2 computers - problem occurs on both - stems are disabled.

I'm using Windows 10 Pro (all updates installed), 16 GB RAM, Core i5 or Core i7, no separate graphic card.

Until VDJ 2021 I never had problems my computers - and suddenly the problems appear.

Problem: When using Virtual DJ, after a while it completely hangs (complete system, also windows isn't usable at all - even mouse cursor didn't move anymore) or Virtual DJ closes itself without notice.

I did a lot of tests - in the moment just before it will crash - I have sound-dropouts and the system will slow down extremely.

I had a look at the task-manager - VDJ seems to use the complete memory (before VDJ 2023 I never saw such a behavior).

I can reproduce this very easy - just let VDJ analyse tags and bpm of my collection and it will stuck after some minutes or sometimes 1-2 hours. But it never ends analyzing my collection.

Same collection (same external HDD) with VDJ 2021 - there is no problem.

Support doesn't answer me anymore.

Posted Sat 22 Jul 23 @ 4:34 pm
you appear to be scanning 63k files while this is happening.

maybe something is overheating?

Posted Sat 22 Jul 23 @ 5:06 pm
I will rule out an hardware error

downgrade to build prior 7183 - everything seems to work
upgrade to build after 7183 - problem exists

(Nothing will overheat, other very CPU-Consuming tasks never did any errors.)

63k files should not be that problem?

Posted Sat 22 Jul 23 @ 6:55 pm
As you can see - it seems that VDJ is using too much RAM

Posted Sat 22 Jul 23 @ 6:55 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
At the moment you stop seeing progress and memory increasing you can check the tooltip of the status message to see which track it is stuck on

Posted Sat 22 Jul 23 @ 6:57 pm
I think it doesn't get stuck at the same track because sometimes it works 1-2 hours or even more and sometimes it only works some minutes.

Also it didn't stop at a special track because it's getting slower and slower until it stucks (while it analyzes some further tracks).

I think it isn't caused by a bad track because the old version runs with exactly the same mp3s without issues. I will retest it today and give a feedback.

Posted Sun 23 Jul 23 @ 9:17 am
Stwiela wrote :
As you can see - it seems that VDJ is using too much RAM

There is really no such thing as using too much ram if it's available. You paid for all of it so why not use it if it helps speed up processes

Anyway - I tested it myself, with a build prior to stems 2.0 being implemented, and the latest release
Both startup with around 250 mb ram use
I then analyzed 200 tracks with each build (I don't have that many unanalyzed tracks, so 200+200 was it) , and the old public build peaked around 380 mb ram use, whereas the latest public build peaked at around 750 mb ram use. But the 750 mb was not at the end of analyzing, so it doesn't indicate memory leaks
And both fell to around 250mb ram use after the analyze had finished, which again doesn't indicate memory leaks

So the new build certainly took advantage of the more ram - but I found no errors/bugs, and (like I said ) it didn't "get worse and worse" in the latest build

So I'm not saying there is no problem - just that I can't find any indications of it

Posted Sun 23 Jul 23 @ 9:38 am
I just can confirm with build 7183 - there seems to be no error (on memory usage) as you can see in the attachment.

Using more memory is in fact a good thing - but it should know it's own borders so nothing should be instable because of using too much of it. And as I can see my windows and VDJ gets instable as soon as memory usage for VDJ grows - I think when reaching a critical amount the system crashes.

Posted Sun 23 Jul 23 @ 5:50 pm
klausmogensen wrote :

There is really no such thing as using too much ram if it's available.

I think exactly this is the problem - it's using more than available (especially when analyzing tags and bpms) - I tested it on 2 machines (I can even test on a third machine) and both had exactly the same error.

If someone else will try to do the same test - just move VirtualDJ directory to another location (with its database and so on) so you can start from scratch. After test you can copy your original VirtualDJ directory back and have your old database and settings back again.

Posted Sun 23 Jul 23 @ 5:54 pm
Just to make it clear:
If it hits a point that it suddenly needs to analyze a folder that contains 100 6-hour long mixes, then it's absolutely normal to see it consume all that RAM. (Yes, I have a folder that I keep various recorded sessions of mine, and I know it can be heavy to analyze/reanalyze all that.)

Also keep in mind that VirtualDJ 2023 also "caches" waveforms of tracks while scanning.
Which means large files consume more memory until they finish scanning.

Posted Sun 23 Jul 23 @ 11:19 pm
Dear all,

I also want to make it clear:
1) I don't have mp3s with long duration (neither long duration nor a big amount of these) - the most tracks are normal music (2-10 minutes)
2) Build 7183 and prior works like a charme
3) builds after 7183 crashes the complete machine. I hope the highest priority of Atomix is to play music as save as possible - all other actions like analyzes and so on should only be done if enough ressoruces are available - exactly this isn't true for builds after 7183.

I have no problem when some tasks (for example analyze ...) aren't performed in case there are not enough ressources as long as the most important basic functions works perfectly (means play songs, search in database, mix songs). But it is impossible to have an instable VirtualDJ with complete systemcrash which is reproducible on more than one machine with exactly the same task done.

Please Atomix - have a look in this case and make VirtualDJ stable again.

Since I never know exactly when the crash will happen, I would like to paint the following horror scenario:

I play for money at a small event. During the evening I load a track that is analyzed on the fly, because I want to play it and it has not been analyzed yet. In this moment the complete PC hangs up and I stand with absolute silence and stopping light show - this must not happen!

Posted Mon 24 Jul 23 @ 7:01 pm
And as you can see in the first picture - VirtualDJ didn't even started analyzing the first track and hangs up - in this test.

(sometimes it analyzes for half an hour or far more - I don't know when it will happen I only know it will happen - it makes a big jump in memory usage and some seconds or minutes after this jump it will crash)

I notice this jump in RAM usage exclusively when I have the task manager open and watch it. Without this, you don't notice anything during use until suddenly the system becomes almost unusable and then stops responding within SECONDS. Until then, nothing stands out.

Posted Mon 24 Jul 23 @ 7:06 pm
i know you dont want to hear this but i really think you should do a memtest just as a precaution

Posted Mon 24 Jul 23 @ 7:13 pm
I will do the memtest but how likely is it that 2 independent computers have defective RAM, which causes an error only in VirtualDJ built later than 7183, but causes no problems in all other things (using virtual machines, video editing, image editing ...).

Posted Mon 24 Jul 23 @ 7:18 pm
Dear all,
following my further tests:
1) memtest of machine A was without any issues - as expected

2) I tried the same procedure on a third machine (Lenovo Core i7 11th Generation, 16 GB RAM, SSD, Windows 11 Pro actual patch level)
2a) installed latest Virtual DJ
2b) detached external HDD (music) from machine A and connected to Lenovo, deleted Virtual DJ directory
2c) Batch-> renew tags (german "tags neu laden") - wait till finished
2d) Batch -> BPM and tags ermitteln
2e) same behavior on this machine - excessive RAM usage, Virtual DJ stops responding after some minutes. GUI isn't operable, Virtual DJ completely stuck (in this case windows was usable, I could shoutdown Windows normally)

So there are 3 different machines which shows the same problems with Virtual DJ after built 7183.

Please help - I lost trust in stability of actual Virtual DJ versions.

Posted Tue 25 Jul 23 @ 6:51 pm
... anyone else who can help? I know it's frustrating but I have an error which is reproducible on all of my machines.

It would be great if atomix would have a look at these problem or even contact me to further investigate this issue.

Thanks

Posted Wed 26 Jul 23 @ 6:45 pm
Dear Support,

how can you help me - I have a reproducable problem but it seems that I don't get support.

Please let me know how we can proceed.

Thanks a lot.

Posted Sun 30 Jul 23 @ 5:02 pm
Did you try my suggestion?
In your first screenshot it seems that the 9GB of memory use happens even though the scanning is still at the first file (0/x)
So it seems likely that it is related to this file.

Posted Sun 30 Jul 23 @ 5:06 pm
Hello,

thanks for asking - since it is highly sporadic, I have not yet been able to look closely at the possible MP3. It is a bit different for each run, whether it occurs right at the beginning (0/65xxx) or after a few minutes or hours. The only thing that always remains the same is that VirtualDJ always hangs up and never works stably until the end.

But to come back to your question I just tried it again with the current version (built 7607) and shot a video of my monitor to get as close as possible to the time of the crash.

Unfortunately, due to lack of RAM, the recording also stopped, but immediately before that I was able to recreate the phase in which the RAM usage went up unabated.

Normally VirtualDJ always analyzes 5 files at the same time - but at some point it analyzes countless MP3s at the same time (the list then no longer fits on my monitor) - at this moment the RAM usage grows rapidly and a little later the system stops (or VirtualDJ closes - it's different every time).

Posted Tue 01 Aug 23 @ 6:53 pm
Which CPU model do you have exactly?

Posted Wed 02 Aug 23 @ 7:52 am
80%