Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Map Shift FX On to the DDJ-1000
Hi, I'm adding some custom functions to the DDJ-1000 mapping. I also wanted to map "Shift FX On" but there seems to be some problem despite it being in the mappable button list. If I assign an action, for example 'play', just press the Shift key and the deck will go into play even if FX On is not pressed.
It almost seems like Shift FX On is the same as regular Shift. Is this a hardware limitation or could there be some other problem? Someone who owns the DDJ-1000 can give it a try and write the result. Thank you

Posted Thu 06 Jul 23 @ 10:18 pm
There is some firmware weirdness around FX in DDJ-1000.
I don't remember if it involves SHIFT_FX_ON though.
However keep in mind that this button is "deckless" i.e. it doesn't belong on a specific deck. So, it works against the last selected deck.
Finally there's a small chance (for that particular button) that turning it's led on, also makes it to send out the button MIDI message.

So: First, try to use an action like "deck 1 play"
Also try to map the SHIFT_LED_FX_ON (or LED_SHIFT_FX_ON) to "nothing"

I will try to check it out on our unit as well.

Posted Thu 06 Jul 23 @ 10:56 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
There is some firmware weirdness around FX in DDJ-1000.
I don't remember if it involves SHIFT_FX_ON though.
However keep in mind that this button is "deckless" i.e. it doesn't belong on a specific deck. So, it works against the last selected deck.
Finally there's a small chance (for that particular button) that turning it's led on, also makes it to send out the button MIDI message.

So: First, try to use an action like "deck 1 play"
Also try to map the SHIFT_LED_FX_ON (or LED_SHIFT_FX_ON) to "nothing"

I will try to check it out on our unit as well.

Thanks for the advice George, I will try and let you know, I wrote a generic command like "play" to simplify the explanation, actually I would like to assign this:

Deck Master effect_active 'slipbrake8'

the strange thing is that if i assign any command, the action will occur as soon as i press the shift button, basically it is as if i assigned the action to the shift button and not to shift fx on

Posted Thu 06 Jul 23 @ 11:07 pm
I don't remember by heart what's going on. However I do know/remember that this button is a toggle switch. Which means that the hardware itself preserves the on/off status.
Anyway, I'll check it myself later today and let you know.

Posted Fri 07 Jul 23 @ 11:56 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
I don't remember by heart what's going on. However I do know/remember that this button is a toggle switch. Which means that the hardware itself preserves the on/off status.
Anyway, I'll check it myself later today and let you know.

Thanks George you are always available!
I'm making a new topic because maybe there is something wrong with the SP1 mapping I hope you want to check that too thanks always.

Posted Fri 07 Jul 23 @ 4:15 pm
George, have you had the opportunity and time to check what is happening?

Thank you

Posted Mon 17 Jul 23 @ 9:49 am
Hi. It seems that either Pioneer documentation was wrong in the first place, or that they changed the MIDI codes at some point with a firmware update.
Anyway, we were able to find the correct MIDI messages that should be used for the button and it should work as expected on the next update.

Posted Mon 17 Jul 23 @ 8:19 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Hi. It seems that either Pioneer documentation was wrong in the first place, or that they changed the MIDI codes at some point with a firmware update.
Anyway, we were able to find the correct MIDI messages that should be used for the button and it should work as expected on the next update.

Hi, i had no doubts that you would have solved the problem.
Thanks for the good news, best regards

Posted Mon 17 Jul 23 @ 8:36 pm