Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Is CDJ intended for professional use (multiple DJs)
jamez3dPRO SubscriberMember since 2019
Or is it intended for single person use and/or bedroom DJing?

Why I ask is, it seems no easy way for me to take my external HD and have my virtual folders / filters / hot cues / lists etc on someone else's VDJ installation.

So if there is an event on and the host is using VDJ, how can other DJs come along and have their stuff in VDJ format to play easily?
Doesn't seem possible without completely changing someone else's VDJ setup (e.g., by syncing fodlers to import all your VDJ stuff).

Posted Sun 28 May 23 @ 5:40 pm
your correct use your own laptop :-)

Posted Sun 28 May 23 @ 7:16 pm
One hack you can do is set a script to change the VDJ home folder to say D drive (by copying the VDJ folder to the root of the drive) then the PC it is plugged in to will only use the external drive and ignore the current installation.

Posted Sun 28 May 23 @ 8:14 pm
Nobody does that with any DJ software :)
You either play on hardware players like CDJs and export to USBs from your software. Either using Rekordbox, Engine or VDJ
Or you use hardware to control your software. In that case you can use shared hardware, like players in a club, but you always bring your own laptop. In that case you usually use Rekordbox Serato, Traktor or VDJ
Those 2 ways are the common "pro" ways
Some bars still have a DJ laptop just sitting in the booth, and all recident DJs then simply play from a shared collection. Like an oldschool record collection in the booth. But that's rare these days

Posted Sun 28 May 23 @ 9:56 pm
SepatroPRO InfinityMember since 2019
How easy is it to work with different hardware? Suppose I come in a club with my laptop but another controller, will most functions (e.g. the pad pages, stems fx, the stutter/play settings...) be unchanged? I would assume so as it is set in the software.

Posted Mon 29 May 23 @ 5:53 am
Sepatro wrote :
How easy is it to work with different hardware? Suppose I come in a club with my laptop but another controller, will most functions (e.g. the pad pages, stems fx, the stutter/play settings...) be unchanged? I would assume so as it is set in the software.

For the most part it's plug and play

The "problem" will most likely the small changes you may make to a mapping to get easy access to less commonly mapped features. What I've done is collecting all those on a single pad page, which is of course already on my laptop. So if I bump into new controller I usually just have to:
1. Adjust my audio config to match the controller (that sometimes involves installing a driver, and maybe adjusting the zeroDB setting)
2. Assign one of the pads selector buttons to my Master pad page (often the one that is for Slicer)
... of course this works best if the controller has a pads section - but most do these days

Here is a video on my Master pad page if you are interested:

Posted Mon 29 May 23 @ 1:36 pm
SepatroPRO InfinityMember since 2019
Thanks Klaus!

Posted Mon 29 May 23 @ 4:03 pm
jamez3dPRO SubscriberMember since 2019
Thanks fore the replies.
So how to connect a different laptop when say the XDJ-XZ / RX whatever is in use with current DJ playing and we want to mix seamlessly from one DJ to the next?

I want to connect my laptop but there is only 1 USB-B socket on the controllers to connect laptops to. He is playing from his VDJ installation and I want to play from mine.
(not confusing with 2 x type-A USB sockets for dongles/HD etc)

Is it simply a case of, stick a tune on USB stick and play that while swapping laptops?

Thanks again

Posted Tue 30 May 23 @ 10:12 am
jamez3d wrote :
Thanks fore the replies.
So how to connect a different laptop when say the XDJ-XZ / RX whatever is in use with current DJ playing and we want to mix seamlessly from one DJ to the next?

I want to connect my laptop but there is only 1 USB-B socket on the controllers to connect laptops to. He is playing from his VDJ installation and I want to play from mine.
(not confusing with 2 x type-A USB sockets for dongles/HD etc)

Is it simply a case of, stick a tune on USB stick and play that while swapping laptops?
Thanks again

On some controllers/CDJ's, yes
Many modern highend controllers has 2 USB ports for this exact scenario
Other than that it's like in the old days when switching DJ,s an you knew it tok 5 min befor the new guy was settled in with his tons of CDs/Vinyls - you use an extra CD player/turntable and put on a 7 min track which doing the changeover. These days it's often just a phone
And then you make sure that the controller doesn't go straight to the PA. You put a small mixer in between. That can also be used for Room EQ, so that the channel EQ's are for mixing, better mix inputs and so on. And it will be a backup if the laptop or software crashes, to avoid dead air. Often I have an old mix playing on an extra channel on the mixer, so i can simply turn that up if something goes wrong with the main rig, and that buys me a few minutes to get the main rig running again, maybe after a laptop reboot

Posted Tue 30 May 23 @ 12:48 pm