Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Stems 2.0 Pad Page StemsFX Bug
I'm not sure if this is only specific to using the DJM S11 or not, but I did notice this while using the the Stems 2.0 pad page with the DJM S11 with the latest build (2023-m b7544):

The StemsFX button seems to change from selecting which part of the stems that FX apply, to actually selecting parts of stems (e.g. vocals, melody drums)
I seem to be able to make this happen by doing the following while a track is playing:

• Go to the Stems 2.0 pad page, and use the StemsFX button to select Vocals as the part to apply effects to
  • Toggle an effect (e.g. Echo) using the paddles to trigger the effect on the stem
  • Switch off the effect
  • Use the StemsFX button to switch off effects application to stems (and go back to the default of the entire audio)

Once a new track is loaded and the process above is repeated, the StemFX button seems to change to an isolation mode, where it isolates the stem instead of selecting it for FX application. The behaviour seems to persist until VirtualDJ is restarted.

Posted Fri 05 May 23 @ 3:05 am
Is there any word on this? It still happens on v2023-m b7555.

Posted Tue 30 May 23 @ 1:41 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Does the audio come back when using the paddles to turn effects on again?

Posted Tue 30 May 23 @ 6:28 am
Adion wrote :
Does the audio come back when using the paddles to turn effects on again?

No it doesn't, it plays the isolate stem with the effect. The deck itself stays in isolation mode for the Stem FX button for the entire session.

It's not as easily reproducible as I first thought - I consciously tried the steps again and it didn't reproduce, but it seems that I am always reproducing it by doing the first sequence (switch Stem FX to a particular part, perhaps removing some stem parts (melody and bass), activate the effect, switch Stem FX back to full song), optionally applying another effect on that deck, optionally switching to another pad mode (like Sampler to play a sample), then loading + bringing in a new song on another deck (this new deck is the one affected).
I also realize that the new deck a lot of the time has the Stem FX state on some random state (like applied to Vocal only or Melody only), that is different from the default (Effects applied to the entire track)

Perhaps relevant information: I have resetStemsOnLoad = Pads

Posted Wed 31 May 23 @ 3:00 am
Any follow up on this?

Posted Sat 17 Jun 23 @ 7:21 pm
So I'm almost guaranteed to get into this weird state for the stems 2.0 pad page every time I play (it happened last Friday when i accidentally hit the stems FX mode button (changing ot to vocals) then changing it back to full track FX mode with the same button, as it is a toggle switch for the different states.
Not trying to be annoying or anything but has anyone confirmed/reproduced this?

Posted Sat 24 Jun 23 @ 3:23 pm
Sorry for the delay, managed to test it out and found the issue.

The problem is the way effects are processed on the S11
-First of all, it won't be possible to use the hardware effects, since when hardware effects are used, the fx send/return channels are bypassed by the firmware. Because they are bypassed, VirtualDJ can't properly add the other stems back to the mix, and this is why you hear only the selected fx stem.

-Using software effects on stems currently works partially, however the fx send/return channels volume is different, so it doesn't exactly match up the sound correctly either, so you'll get a boost of the non-stems channels instead

-For the next update, it will work with software effects, but only when fxProcessing is set to pre-fader.
I'll have a look to see if software effects could work post-fader as well, but that might not be possible due to the mentioned volume difference
(Note that the hardware effects would still be post-fader, so that might be an acceptable trade-off (use the hardware effects for regular fx and the software fx for stems fx)

Posted Sat 24 Jun 23 @ 4:50 pm
@Adion thank for confirming the issue and this explanation. I guess I'll steer clear of stem fx with that mixer. Is this only specific to the S11 or is it a general external mixer problem?

Posted Sun 25 Jun 23 @ 1:41 pm
It's likely a problem with any mixer that uses fx send/return channels, although I'm not sure how common it is that the levels are different for the send/return channels.
The dynamic turning on/off of the fx send/return channels further complicates the problem, but not sure either how common that is.
I think it's the same for the S9. The DJM-900NXS2 uses a single send/return channel, so that might be even more random depending on the selected channel.

For the FLX10 Pioneer decided to finally go back to master/headphones output from the computer, which gives full control to the software and would not suffer from these issues.
Although it is a controller, it would be nice if they did the same for future mixers too.

Posted Sun 25 Jun 23 @ 2:28 pm