Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Stems file deleted and Cached Song missing in VirtualDJ
nullcaseControlleristMember since 2022
I am experiencing an issue with VirtualDJ. I use Soundcloud's DJPool with VirtualDJ and recently noticed that a stems file was deleted, and the cached song it belonged to is now missing. I only discovered the deleted stem file by chance while browsing through my recycle bin.

I spent a lot of time prepping each track, and now I am concerned that songs will be deleted randomly without any notification.

How do I prevent this from happening again? And if there is a way, how do I turn on notifications or otherwise keep track of which songs are lost? Thanks for your help.

Posted Tue 02 May 23 @ 12:18 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006

Posted Tue 02 May 23 @ 12:49 pm
If I had deleted the Cache file it would also have been in the Recycle folder with the deleted stems file.

If only the stems had been deleted then the Cache file would still be in VirtualDJ.

It is reassuring to learn that VirtualDJ doesn't automatically remove Cache files. As for the above, I can't explain what happened.

Posted Tue 02 May 23 @ 4:31 pm
Found another case of this today. Stem file gets sent to the bin, and no cache file. And in both cases I cannot even find the song on SoundCloud anymore.

If Cache files are deleted, are the stem files always deleted with the cache file? And if not, does VirtualDJ periodically check and then remove stems without song files?

Because that might explain how an otherwise empty recycle folder can have a stem file and the cache file is missing. But it doesn't explain this coincidence where the song is no longer available on SoundCloud.

Posted Fri 05 May 23 @ 6:36 am
Only time stems file would be deleted by itself would be when selecting 'Delete Stems' from the context menu.

I did indeed forgot about the case where the song is no longer available on SoundCloud though.
In that case both the file and the stems will be deleted, and both were supposed to be deleted without going to recycle bin in that case, but looks like the stems indeed did end up in the recycle bin currently.

Posted Fri 05 May 23 @ 7:11 am
Adion wrote :
Only time stems file would be deleted by itself would be when selecting 'Delete Stems' from the context menu.

I did indeed forgot about the case where the song is no longer available on SoundCloud though.
In that case both the file and the stems will be deleted, and both were supposed to be deleted without going to recycle bin in that case, but looks like the stems indeed did end up in the recycle bin currently.

I don't know if you work on dev. In either case, thank you for clarifying this.

Losing songs without a notification is a major pain point. I have to have some kind of log folder, anything so that I know a song is unavailable.

Posted Mon 08 May 23 @ 11:58 am
nullcase wrote :
I don't know if you work on dev

He's the main dev - hence the initials CTO below his username.

It makes perfect sense for the files to no longer be available if the track has been removed from the online service.

Either the artist has removed it, or it's been deleted for copyright reasons. As the service is a rental/streaming service, obviously you cannot keep a copy of the file once it's been removed.

Posted Mon 08 May 23 @ 1:25 pm
Apple do this as well. I have several songs and videos purchased from them that have since been removed from the store. If you didn't keep a physical copy of the file it's now gone despite having paid for it.

Posted Mon 08 May 23 @ 1:47 pm
To make sure you don't miss important information, you could use regular playlists or Virtual Folders in virtualdj to store your soundcloud playlists though.
The file will of course still not play if it was deleted, but at least you will still have the title of the track so you can purchase it elsewhere if needed.

Posted Mon 08 May 23 @ 3:07 pm
groovindj wrote :
nullcase wrote :
I don't know if you work on dev

He's the main dev - hence the initials CTO below his username.

It makes perfect sense for the files to no longer be available if the track has been removed from the online service.

Either the artist has removed it, or it's been deleted for copyright reasons. As the service is a rental/streaming service, obviously you cannot keep a copy of the file once it's been removed.

It seems like you're used to "i don't know if etc.." being a statement of skepticism.

I genuinely wanted to say thanks to someone who helped and, with what i knew in that moment, may not even work here.

Posted Mon 08 May 23 @ 4:01 pm
Adion wrote :
To make sure you don't miss important information, you could use regular playlists or Virtual Folders in virtualdj to store your soundcloud playlists though.
The file will of course still not play if it was deleted, but at least you will still have the title of the track so you can purchase it elsewhere if needed.

Yeah, after this started I created a virtual folder and plan to dump the whole list of cached songs in there once in a while. As you say, the song won't play but the track information is retained.

Posted Mon 08 May 23 @ 4:08 pm