Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Ducking echo has audio gap
Machine: M1 MacBook Pro (16B Ram)
Controller: Pioneer DJM S9 with VirtualDJ timecode
VirtualDJ build: v2023-m b7482

When I initially enable the Ducking Echo effect on a track (using one of the Software FX slots on the DJM S9 + the paddle for that deck) there is a momentary glitch in the audio (probably a few hundred ms, as it is noticeable), before the song plays again with the effect activated.

The song is already analyzed for BPM, etc, stems are set to be v2 on the fly.

Posted Mon 24 Apr 23 @ 1:12 am
I can't make mine do that.
Neither when arming it, or when triggering it using a fader or for instance a cue button

Is it if you use it on a stem?

I'm on Win10, though

Posted Mon 24 Apr 23 @ 7:00 am
Do you get that only with Duck Echo, or with all effects ?

Posted Mon 24 Apr 23 @ 8:59 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
could it be FX on and calling for the results before the buffer is filled?

If say your length is 1bt then you have to have the fx on for 1 beat before closing the fader [up or cross] or you'll just get a silence until the buffer loops round.

Posted Mon 24 Apr 23 @ 9:46 am
Quote :
Is it if you use it on a stem?

AFAIK I've definitely tried it with some stems deactivated (only vocals active) and noticed the problem, but then I had tried it with a new song (all stems active and got the same problem)

Quote :
Does it happen for all other effects

I've not tried that honestly, but I do know problem never occurred with the DDJ 1000, which (I'm of the impression) uses the software effects

Quote :
could it be FX on and calling for the results before the buffer is filled?

So I am enabling the effect with all the volume levels up, the crossfader effectly allowing the maximum volume with that deck (adjusted to sharp but towards the deck), and I'm not adjusting any of those positions - I'm just leaving the deck playing.

So I do have to at least try other effects and double check that it happens regardless of stem isolation.
Let me confirm everything here later ( when I return from work), and I'll post a video + updated comment with my findings.

Posted Mon 24 Apr 23 @ 2:25 pm
DJM-S9 uses effect send/return logic (sounds familiar ? :P )
All units that use send/return (Doesn't matter the brand or the software) have a tiny audio gap when they switch from direct audio to "send/return" channels.
Typically this gap is so tiny that you can notice it only if you use the paddles (without any effect armed) repeatedly.

So, I asked if you get that "gap" on all effects in order to undersstand if it's that gap you're hearing/refering to, or something else.

DDJ-1000 does not use FX send/return, so it's immune from that behavior.

Posted Mon 24 Apr 23 @ 5:07 pm
So an update, in terms of this:

Quote :
Does it happen for all other effects

I tried it with the regular software echo.... the gap exists for that as well. There is no gap for the hardware based effects. Is this expected then? What would be recommended to reduce/eliminate the problem (e.g latency)?

Posted Tue 25 Apr 23 @ 8:12 pm
I don't have a S9 to try, so I can't really help.
However from my experience with Rane units and DDJ-REV7, you can't completely eliminate the tiny gap when engaging the send/return channels.
That's with Serato as well, so it's not a software thing.

Posted Tue 25 Apr 23 @ 11:13 pm
You are right...I just tested Serato's software echo and there is a gap every time I enable it (that's actually really bad). I've never really noticed because I always use hardware effects, but I wanted to get familiar with ducking echo and iy's only available as a software effect for the S9.

Posted Thu 27 Apr 23 @ 1:00 am
Get a Rane Four :P
It has hardware "Duck Echo" and "Echo Out" :P

(Just kidding)

Posted Thu 27 Apr 23 @ 9:35 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Get a Rane Four :P
It has hardware "Duck Echo" and "Echo Out" :P

(Just kidding)

I wish lol (not easy to just hop on new gear just for a minor thing). I'm probably gonna save for an S11 as it has the separate hardware smooth echo option. The rane four is a really nice controller though.

Posted Thu 27 Apr 23 @ 4:26 pm