Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Denon Prime 2 Right Deck Issues!
BizzleJPRO InfinityMember since 2016
Hi there,

I have a Denon prime 2 and i have only used it twice and on the 2nd time there seem to be an issue when playing music on vinyl mode on the right side deck via virtual dj?

I have never experienced this kind of problem before with previous controllers but it seems like whenever there is upgrade in devices or software it messes up with the performance, features and functionality of the controllers when really it should only get better??

Can someone from Virtual DJ or the community let me know if this is also a problem because its really frustrating! Maybe denon needs to do another update or something?!!

Thanks

Ash

Posted Tue 04 Apr 23 @ 8:32 am
BizzleJ wrote :
I have a Denon prime 2 and i have only used it twice and on the 2nd time there seem to be an issue when playing music on vinyl mode on the right side deck via virtual dj?

I am sure someone can you resolve the issue.
But for someone to assist, you need to explain what the issue is in more detail.

Note: Its not helpful to double post (just pick one or the other). as also here:
https://www.virtualdj.com/forums/251872/General_Discussion/Denon_Prime_2_Right_Deck_Issues_.html

Posted Tue 04 Apr 23 @ 8:58 am
when I load a track on the right hand deck of the controller and press play whist vinyl mode is activated.
The track playing on the right deck then experiences glitches and stutters randomly ad the track is playing.
The counter display on the jog stops every so often as the track stops without me even touching the jogwheel.

Posted Tue 04 Apr 23 @ 9:06 am
I assume this only happens when the controller is connected.

First step:
Test the controller touch sensor:
Open the Setting > Mapping > Denon Prime 2 mapping you are using, and check that (with Vinyl mode ON) the JOG_TOUCH is not switching ON at times, without you touching it.
If working correctly it should remain OFF, unless touched)

Then repeat, playing deck 2, (again with vinyl mode on) watching JOG_TOUCH.

Above to test that the touch sensor are working as expected.

Posted Tue 04 Apr 23 @ 9:22 am
I will check that when I get home. But I've had this with the last controller (mixars primo too. The same right deck issues.. But now I have the denon prime 2 it's the same thing. Hopefully your suggest solve it, I really appreciate it.

Has virtual dj done an update for the prime 2 controller? If you by any chance

Posted Tue 04 Apr 23 @ 12:23 pm
I've read of lots of people having right deck issues on the Prime 2. It happens in Engine mode too and appears to be a hardware fault.

Posted Tue 04 Apr 23 @ 12:29 pm
Yeah but it seems to be expedited when there's an update. Are the updates causing the hardware issues? Because once you spend all that money to get it serviced etc how will we know that when another update comes in that it may not cause hardware issues again?

Posted Tue 04 Apr 23 @ 12:36 pm
Well that's the problem. Denon ain't what they used to be.

But this issue is the controller itself rather than updates. Hardware and software are two different things.

Posted Tue 04 Apr 23 @ 1:45 pm
He's posted the same thing on the Denon forum but sounds like he's sorted it now with a firmware update.

Posted Tue 04 Apr 23 @ 9:39 pm
Issue still remains guys! :-( @DEEJAY I tried the jog_touch under the mapping option... and it keeps flicking on and off, so I am assuming this is probably a hardware issue?!
If so, I'm gonna have to send it back!

Posted Wed 05 Apr 23 @ 7:32 pm
Lots of others have had the same issue and had to return theirs

Posted Wed 05 Apr 23 @ 7:37 pm
Happy you were able to diagnose the issue, hopefully before the return deadline at the place of purchase.

I always felt Denon created quality items. (current user of a MC7000) but
kradcliffe wrote :
Lots of others have had the same issue and had to return theirs

Final Test:
When using the Denon Prime 2 in Standalone mode, do you experience the same issue on Deck 2? (you should if it is indeed a sensor issue).

I am sure you have installed the latest firmware update and driver (if windows) from Denon.
(would expect, if it was a firmware or driver issue, there would be a much different way that it would not function as expected)
https://www.denondj.com/downloads
https://enginedj.com/downloads
https://enginedj.com/news/articles/how-to-update-engine-dj-os

FYI the 3.0.1 Engine update was just released yesterday, 4-4-23
https://enginedj.com/news/articles/engine-dj-3-0-1-update
https://enginedj.com/news/categories/faq

Summary:
Looks like you may need to return it.

Posted Wed 05 Apr 23 @ 10:45 pm
Yeah I am going to arrange for it to be sent back very soon! I don't know if virtual dj has an update for this as it would he helpful so I can rule out its not a software bug.

Because I've literally switched it on now, play a track through virtual dj and it's not causing the problem so it's very weird that sometimes it works and sometimes it don't?!

Posted Thu 06 Apr 23 @ 6:44 pm
There is no issue with VDJ. You're best to test it in standalone mode (Engine) to see if the same thing happens.

Posted Thu 06 Apr 23 @ 7:04 pm
BizzleJ wrote :
Issue still remains guys! :-( @DEEJAY I tried the jog_touch under the mapping option... and it keeps flicking on and off, so I am assuming this is probably a hardware issue?!
If so, I'm gonna have to send it back!

The fact that the JOG_TOUCH is switching ON at times, without you touching it, can only be a hardware or firmware issue.

Not something caused by the software.

You can see the same, from watching the midi signals being sent from the hardware, with either Midi-Ox or Pocket Midi. The software is only doing something with the signals sent from the hardware. And only the hardware or the firmware control what midi is being sent.

Your test proves there is an issue, at the source.

BizzleJ wrote :
Because I've literally switched it on now, play a track through virtual dj and it's not causing the problem so it's very weird that sometimes it works and sometimes it don't?!

Was Vinyl mode ON?
You will only experience the issue when vinyl mode is ON.

The test, is to repeat your original test, looking at the signals/midi indicated by the JOG_TOUCH, with vinyl mode enabled.

And as suggested, to see if you can reproduce the issue in standalone mode.
And one should be able reproduce it in standalone mode.

Posted Thu 06 Apr 23 @ 7:20 pm
I've tried it in standalone mode and it's seem to be working fine. There are a few default tracks that are preloaded on the prime 2 and I've just used those to mix. I've initated the vinyl mode whilst the track is playing on deck 2 and there has been no changes and runs normally.

I honestly believe its a firmware bug which is causing this problem because on the denon forum another person is going through the same thing as me

Posted Thu 06 Apr 23 @ 7:41 pm
Thanks for the update.

Do all Prime 2 controllers have the issue, or just a few... Prime 2's ?

And guess you need to decide: to return or NOT to return

Is Denon working on the issue?

Its not great to have have an intermittent issue, that may never be resolved.

Posted Fri 07 Apr 23 @ 6:38 am
Well I'm not sure if all has that issue but I've come across a few people who is having the same issue and it's always the right deck 2.
I am definitely going to return it for repairs and if I encounter the same issue again then im going to have to switch over to a pioneer I think.

Posted Fri 07 Apr 23 @ 11:19 am