Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Own database xml file for every music track
JirSimPRO InfinityMember since 2021
Hi,
I produce own music tracks and create VDJ STEMS with VDJ Stems Creator (file M4A).

Is possible, that VDJ generate own database xml file for every music track? The global DB is not good solution for me. I copy/move/rename my tracks very oft outside of VDJ and the own xml file for every track can be a solution, for example:

MyTrack.m4a
MyTrack.m4a.xml

The first file is VDJ stems file
The second file is virtualdj "database" xml file for this track, where all tags, cue points etc. are stored.

If I want to move/copy/rename this track I have to do the same thing for the xml file too, but I dont lose all my tags, cue points etc.

What do you think about it?

Posted Thu 30 Mar 23 @ 4:35 pm
My thought is, from your explanation, you have great reason for it, but because of the huge difference in READ speed of RAM vs Hard Drive the process would be unacceptably slow (reason paged memory to the HD is so slow, and adding random access, and fragmentation, slows it even more).

For example: may take 9 min (on a multiple TB disc) to get the results of tracks that have are rated 4+ stars. (or any other search/filter, since it would need to read every one of the thousands of tracks. I am sure you have seen DJ complaining about the long times to recurse through many files.)
Maybe this would work if one only had a few tracks (say a hundred). But then you could just have 100 hard drive partitions, with a track on each, and each would have its own database.

This is the reason for a database in the first place, to have quick access, as the database is loaded to RAM at startup.

---------------

Maybe with option: setTagsAuto Yes ... to write to the file's tag when changes are made in VDJ

and a combination of the options/settings:
getTitleFromTags
getRatingFromTags
getCommentsFromTags
getCuesFromTags
useKeyFromTags

would allow you to keep enough data within the track's tag, for your workflow style.

Posted Thu 30 Mar 23 @ 8:57 pm
2 Moderator:

I wanted to correct my first post. I wrote lose instead of loose ..., but I had call and when I came back to finish it, I have found out, that you was faster with "delete" :)))

Posted Thu 30 Mar 23 @ 9:04 pm
2 IIDEEJAYII

1.) It did not work :(. I tested it now, but my m4a files store cue points a;ways in DB

2.) You are right. DB is much faster, but I dont produce milion of own tracks. Before I produced own musik I had many many Tracks in traktor and I have stored all in files and it did work too (maybe slower, but it worked).

I think the best thing is to have both - DBs and XML files. If VDJ find a xml file then VDJ uses info from the file. If not, VDJ uses info from database ...

Posted Thu 30 Mar 23 @ 9:22 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
@JirSim no worries, you actually wrote "love" :p

Posted Thu 30 Mar 23 @ 9:57 pm
locodog wrote :
@JirSim no worries, you actually wrote "love" :p

I think it too, for this reason I wanted to correct it ...

Posted Thu 30 Mar 23 @ 10:02 pm
While your request makes sense, it's very "user case specific"
I mean, except you, maybe just a bunch of another 10-20 people would use it if it was ever to be implemented.
And honestly it has a lot of draw backs too.
While VirtualDJ by design choice doesn't write cues e.t.c. on the tags of your files, it would make much more sense to write the cues on the tags instead of using separate XML files for each track.

PS: I don't know why you need to move files outside VirtualDJ, but in case it's for "simplicity", you know that you can move/copy files in VirtualDJ by holding SHIFT/CTRL buttons on your keyboard and dragging a file, just like Explorer/Finder, right ?

Posted Fri 31 Mar 23 @ 8:41 am
To write all to tag in file is the best solution, but VDJ does not support it and I dont know WHY...

It has maybe a reason (technical reason?-Not All FileTypes support Tags?).

And for this reason I have got the Idea with XML file for every music file.

Posted Sat 01 Apr 23 @ 6:47 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :

PS: I don't know why you need to move files outside VirtualDJ, but in case it's for "simplicity", you know that you can move/copy files in VirtualDJ by holding SHIFT/CTRL buttons on your keyboard and dragging a file, just like Explorer/Finder, right ?

I create own music and for this reason I work with music files outside of VDJ.
I make own track, where master channel is empty! All mastering I have to do on Bass,Kick,Vocal,Hihat,Instru channels. It is not so easy and for this reason I make more Version of the track ... And I use copy/move/rename outside of VDJ very often (DAW).

Posted Sat 01 Apr 23 @ 6:58 am
JirSim wrote :
To write all to tag in file is the best solution

I disagree.

It's better to write data to one file in one location than to thousands of different files scattered all over the hard drive. Reading from a single file is easier too, when searching.

It's also much easier to back up one database file than your entire collection.

Posted Sat 01 Apr 23 @ 7:41 am
As a workaround:

One could use a thumbdrive or other small partition, and with the R-click, COPY from within VDJ, make a copy of the track onto the thumbdrive (only one track).
Then the database.xml file created there has all the cues, POI, and tag info.

And the file can moved/copied back to VDJ at a future time after you have worked on it, again keeping all the metadata intact.

Posted Sat 01 Apr 23 @ 8:01 am
groovindj wrote :
JirSim wrote :
To write all to tag in file is the best solution

I disagree.

It's better to write data to one file in one location than to thousands of different files scattered all over the hard drive. Reading from a single file is easier too, when searching.

It's also much easier to back up one database file than your entire collection.

You are right, but for this reason VDJ can make both: Database for fast searching and Tag(or xml file) for better file manipulation. VDJ can read/write Tag (or xml file) and store the same info it in VDJ database too.

Posted Sat 01 Apr 23 @ 8:43 am
dj kkfmPRO InfinityMember since 2023
PhantomDeejay wrote :
While your request makes sense, it's very "user case specific"
I mean, except you, maybe just a bunch of another 10-20 people would use it if it was ever to be implemented.

I can see a feature like this maybe being popular with DJ schools. Imagine if there was a way to package a playlist so that the package had all the songs, cue points, tags, comments, etc. Then the instructor could just send that package to the students who would import it and have an exact copy of the instructor's playlist. I can think of a bunch of challenges with making this work, but it would be an interesting feature, and I can see advantages of having more schools teach using VDJ.

Posted Sat 01 Apr 23 @ 2:04 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
@dj kkfm that would be a usb stick

Posted Sat 01 Apr 23 @ 3:18 pm
dj kkfmPRO InfinityMember since 2023
locodog wrote :
@dj kkfm that would be a usb stick

Hahaha...yep. The obvious solution sitting right there in front.

Posted Sat 01 Apr 23 @ 4:32 pm
2 DJ KKFM

Thank you very much for support of my idea. Producents, Schools etc. need feature like this ...

Posted Sat 01 Apr 23 @ 10:01 pm