Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Video Discussion

Topic: Adding Karaoke Files on External & Limiting When Searching
Hi, I have my karaoke files on an external hard drive. I want to be able to search for them using the search function. So I believe I still need to add the files using the add to db function. Now when I am DJing I don't want to see my karaoke files in the search. I just want to see the karaoke files when its time. So I am wondering is turning on that karaoke icon on the left would work.

Also wondering how other KDJ's are organizing their files in the browser section. I was thinking of making a virtual folder and just dumping my karaoke tracks into it.

Posted Tue 06 Dec 22 @ 4:11 am
I have about 150k karaoke files. I have a folder dedicated to Karaoke tracks only. Those tracks are in 8 separate folders. Years ago, it was faster to have multiple folders with about 10k songs in each, max. It increased search and load times. My folders are named after DC characters, for easy reference.

However, I went as far as to group the tracks together by maker and disk. So Sound Choice track SC2701-14, is a zip file, in a folder with the rest of disk SC2701. That disk folder is in a folder with disks numbered SC2700-2799, and those are in a folder named SC2700s. I have SC1000-SC7000 in a folder named Zatanna and the rest of the Justice League are in my Karaoke folder on my passport external drive. Each hero has a different karaoke disk maker. Chart Buster, Sunfly, Sweet Georgia Brown, etc. I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes now on load and search times but no reason to undo it at this point, lol.

Posted Wed 07 Dec 22 @ 5:58 am
Thanks SuperManny, that's an interesting strategy for allocating tracks. I have about 80k of karaoke tracks. Several are repeats just from different music sources similar to you. I haven't looked into how the whole zipping aspect of karaoke works yet.

All my karaoke are on an external ssd drive. All in one main directory.

So for now what I did was just make a new music folder and then dumped the files located in the drive section to that folder. Takes a few seconds to load but not too bad.

I tried also making a virtual folder and then copying the music into that, but virtualDJ hung and would not finish even after leaving it running.

Posted Wed 07 Dec 22 @ 10:10 pm