Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Cache files since 2023 update
Are these files needed?

Just wondered as one of them is pretty large.

Posted Fri 18 Nov 22 @ 1:18 pm
Yes. They contain system specific components that are required for stems 2.0 separation engine to work

Posted Fri 18 Nov 22 @ 1:29 pm
This is an analysis of the track wave. If deleted cache, the VDJ will analyze it spectrum again. It's wasting time.

Posted Fri 18 Nov 22 @ 1:35 pm
No, those particular files have nothing to do with waveforms.

Posted Fri 18 Nov 22 @ 1:36 pm
They also have, I checked on the x32 version, it is without stems.

Posted Fri 18 Nov 22 @ 1:39 pm
No problem George.

My only question is that if they are needed, should they be in a secure place as users could see them there and delete them not knowing they're essential.

Posted Fri 18 Nov 22 @ 1:42 pm
Then they will get recreated/redownloaded the next time you start stems engine. It will just take a little longer to start the engine.

Posted Fri 18 Nov 22 @ 1:45 pm
some files in the Cache folder are indeed to be able to see the waveforms in the browser. Some other files are cached results from some tests done on your specific hardware that virtualdj does to optimize and run faster next time.
So we don't advise to delete these files.
If you do, you'll loose the waveforms in the browser until you load each track again, and virtualdj will take a little longer to start next time.

Posted Fri 18 Nov 22 @ 3:52 pm
So should these be excluded when I synchronize my VirtualDJ folder from one laptop to another then?

Posted Fri 18 Nov 22 @ 4:04 pm
This is tied to the path where the MP3 file lies.

Your files should be structured the same on another laptop so that their paths and drive letters and folders match.

Posted Fri 18 Nov 22 @ 4:28 pm
They already are hence the question.

Posted Fri 18 Nov 22 @ 4:33 pm
Further question here. First time I load a new track it shows the stem being built on the bottom part of the deck waveform. If I set stems not to save but calculate every time, why does the stem waveform get kept in the cache.db file?

I would prefer to see the stem wave being built every time the stem is created rather than it being calculated in the background.

Posted Fri 03 Feb 23 @ 6:47 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
It's saved exactly so that you can see it instantly and don't have to wait.
Not exactly sure why you'd need to see when it's completed. Even when jumping to a location that was not completed yet, processing will simply start from there first

Posted Fri 03 Feb 23 @ 7:12 pm
OK, thanks Adion

Posted Fri 03 Feb 23 @ 7:37 pm
djkrysrPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Hi
I think if I understand correctly that after the latest update, Virtual DJ (as requested) now updates the waveform cache for any file when it is re-analyzed in BPM Editor, so that if a file changes, the waveform is up to date.
Quick question, I do not want to re-analyze all my files, or even the ones I know have changed in order to update the waveforms for previously changed files because I may have edited or altered info in the BMP Editor which i don't want to lose, so which cache file(s), and where, could i delete, so as to force Virtual DJ to update the waveforms for all my files without losing any other BPM specific info, or is this not possible.
I understand this would involve recreating all the waveforms again, but I can cope with that just once so as to get everything back to its correct state.
Thanks

Posted Sun 23 Jul 23 @ 2:02 pm
cache.db contains the waveforms.
The rest (cache2.db cache3.db etc) are stems related

As to where these files are located:
In VirtualDJ home folder it's in the "Cache" subfolder
On external/secondary hard drives it's inside "D:\VirtualDJ\Cache" folder

Posted Sun 23 Jul 23 @ 11:22 pm
djkrysrPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Great thanks a lot

Posted Mon 24 Jul 23 @ 12:06 pm