Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Waveforms
Waveform size should not be based off the trim. The waveform should be the waveform size.

Posted Fri 14 Oct 22 @ 7:37 pm
+1

Posted Mon 17 Oct 22 @ 4:06 am
Actually it used to not be based on trim.
But it got to be based on trim so that you can visually see what you're doing when you mess with your gain/trim knob.
If you add too much gain, you can see the waveform clipping which is also what will happen with sound as well (limiter will kick in to prevent distortion BTW)
Also it's a good aid to somehow be able to calculate how much you need to mess with trim for tracks that have long quiet parts that you may want to mix with other songs.

So, waveforms changing size with trim setting is considered to be an improvement over the previous "fixed size" implementation. And it was actually asked elsewhere in this forum by several users!

Posted Mon 17 Oct 22 @ 9:35 am
+1

As a result, I can only see less of the "wave" (distance monitor).
I see gain changes in the mixer area - because the VU meter.

Function only makes sense to me if I can select it via "settings"...

"And it was actually asked elsewhere in this forum by several users!"
I can't imagine.

Gimmick for me.
Everyone can live with "Limiter" (who knows about it).

Posted Tue 18 Oct 22 @ 4:10 pm
When autogain is enabled and you load a track you should see the same amount of wave (wave height) as before.
Lowering the gain should indeed decrease the waveform height, and increasing it should increase the waveforms as well.
In any case you should get the same amount of waveform height/data (as when the waveform was fixed size) at the gain value calculated by autogain as being the optimal one (12 o clock position on your gain when gainSliderIncludesAutoGain setting is enabled)

PS: Waveform drawing does take into account the zerodb setting. Therefore if you just need to constantly run your gain sliders at a position thats less than "12 o clock" for some reason, you can lower zerodb setting and have your gain sliders normally at "12 o clock" / middle position. This way you are not going to loose any waveform height (compared to fixed size waveforms)

Posted Wed 19 Oct 22 @ 7:58 am
wollerosekauf wrote :

As a result, I can only see less of the "wave" (distance monitor).

We are talking about the height of the waves here. Not the width / the distance they cover in time (how much of a track you can see back and forth from the needle / middle position)
The width is user adjustable. The easieast way is to scroll your mouse over the waveform.
The width of the waveform changes based on the TEMPO of the track, and that has always been the case.

Posted Wed 19 Oct 22 @ 10:20 am
When I say "distance monitor" - I don't mean the width of the wave.
But the distance to the monitor ;-)
Everyone has probably understood what I mean (I think).
I use the "gain slider" in the software (which shouldn't matter here - but I use it).
(Controllers don't have it for free, after all.)
I use "gainSliderIncludesAutoGain" with setting "no".
If I then turn to 8 o'clock, I no longer have a signal.
Just a simple line.

Again my opinion:
"Selection under settings"
-----> on or off
and it is good for everyone.

greetings

Posted Wed 19 Oct 22 @ 6:52 pm
I don't know if this is the right place to post this,
but my request is kind of the related to the information linked to the waveform.

Basically, when viewing the Classic Waveform Overlap,
and both Deck cue-point descriptions are on the 'same side' of the triangle,
there are times when their descriptions overlap each other as well, blocking it completely.

Can there be an option to choose the 'position' of the Cue-Point Descriptions ?
eg.
Deck 1 cue-point descriptions on the right / left of the little triangle marker

Deck 2 cue-point descriptions on the left / right of the little triangle marker

So, each deck has the description on the opposite side of the other deck.
( I don't know how this will be solved for a 4 x decks !
Maybe a small number at the bottom of the waveform too?? )

Posted Fri 04 Nov 22 @ 3:43 am