Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: VirtualDJ Shut Down Procedure
Hardly a week seems to go by without someone losing or corrupting their Settings and/or Database files generally by Closing/Quitting VirtualDJ then removing power or, in the case of laptops, closing the lid before VirtualDJ has completed its task of saving those files.

Could we have a shut down procedure built in to the program with an onscreen message and a timer informing the user not to remove power or, in the case of laptops, closing the lid till the message changes to CONFIRM that the task is complete.

I’ve tested ‘Create Database Backup’ manually on my external 2TB WD Passport Ultra spinning USB powered hard drive (10 years old). I have 45,000 mp3 & video files and it took 41 seconds, I’m sure it would be a lot faster on an SSD drive.

I think something like this would save a lot of frustrated users that find their settings corrupt/reset on a restart of the program.

Cheers

Systems Specs;
Main System - MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021), Apple Silicon M1 Pro, 16gb, 500 gb SSD, macOS Monterey 12.5.1, External WD Passport Ultra 2Tb HD formatted exFat containing Music & Video databases. VirtualDJ 2021 8.5-arm b7105.

Posted Wed 31 Aug 22 @ 8:37 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Automatic database backup is done at program start, so shouldn't affect shutdown.
Database itself is saved pretty much instantly after changes are made, so that should not be the cause of any corruption either.
Saving settings file should take less than a second, so unlikely that early power off would corrupt that either.
Only thing I know that can stall shutdown is bad asio drivers taking long time. If vdj would be force closed before completed that could result in settings not being saved, but no corruption otherwise.
Closing laptop lid will do standby or hibernate by default, so even if shutdown was not finished it would simply continue what it was doing

Posted Wed 31 Aug 22 @ 9:06 am