Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: VDJ AutoMix Issue With Long Playlists - Page: 1
Since upgrading to VDJ 2020, and all the updates since. I have had issues with playlists that exceed 5 hours. I need them to be at least 8 hours. I play background music for fundraiser events, such as car shows.

When VDJ fails, the song that is playing suddenly starts back-spinning kind of fast. The application becomes unresponsive and I just have to wait for it to go though about 90 seconds where Windows 10 finally lets me kill the process.
. My typical way to operate is to open a fresh AutoMix list and populate it on the fly, adding songs as I go. I have tried periodically saving the list, but it doesn't seem to help.

I have reloaded Windows 10 from scratch, every year, onto a new SSD/NVMe. It is a 2017 Dell G7 7588 with 16GB of RAM and (currently) a 1TB Samsung EVO Pro 980 (purchased directly from Samsung). The sound Interface is a Presonus Studio 24 (USB A), but this happened on a Monoprice 615808 before I upgraded. I go through Device Manager and kill power management on all the USB services I can find, almost monthly.
. This is a multipurpose laptop not dedicated to VirtualDJ, which has not been an issue from 2017 through the 2020 VDJ update in June or July.

Here are a couple of scenario examples:
- A car show almost a year ago ran 135 consecutive songs in just over 6 hours and 20 minutes.
. The most current Windows 10 on a 1TB Samsung EVO Plus 970.
- A car show 2 days ago ran 116 consecutive songs in just over 5 hours and 20 minutes.
. The most current Windows 10 (minus this month's updates) on a 1TB Samsung EVO Pro 980.

I am trying to find a way around this issue so that I can deliver seamless audio for 7 to 8 hours. I have a BlueTooth adapter on my mixer with songs on standby from my cell phone. Each time this has happened, I have ironically been away from my console hyping a vendor or interviewing a car owner with an instrumental playing in the background.
. As far as I can tell, I will need to schedule a restart marker, say 4 hours, which I did once. Getting caught up in these types of gigs, one can lose track of time and easily not remember how long you have been going. Scheduling a downtime restart is inconvenient, and resets the previously played markers on the songs. I try not to repeat songs at these events, unless there is a reason to.

I think this is long enough, for now. I am hoping someone has a fantastic 'fix' for this. I am already saving up for an Apple M2, but I need this "WindWoes" laptop to get me through this year while I try to get to about $2K for the one I am drooling over!

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide...

Posted Mon 15 Aug 22 @ 5:55 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
You are using the 64-bit version of VDJ right?

Posted Mon 15 Aug 22 @ 6:11 pm
Yep... C:\Program Files\VirtualDJ\virtualdj.exe ... Currently file version 8.5.7032.0.

If memory serves me, VDJ 2018 began the age of 64-bit-only for Virtual DJ.

Posted Mon 15 Aug 22 @ 11:15 pm
I was digging through Event Viewer and found the event related to VDJ crashing on Saturday. In searching the VDJ forums, I found that I had posted the exact thing when the system crashed last year (https://www.virtualdj.com/forums/242888/VirtualDJ_Technical_Support/VDJ_Dumped__Yesterday__New_Version_Available_Today_____Fixed_.html?search=AudioMaverick&page=1).

Here is the recorded Application event for the crash I just experienced...
-
Log Name: Application
Source: Application Hang
Date: 8/13/2022 1:28:20 PM
Event ID: 1002
Task Category: (101)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: {The AudioMaverick DJ Laptop}
Description:
The program virtualdj.exe version 8.5.7032.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
Process ID: d68
Start Time: 01d8af1e838de9a0
Termination Time: 7
Application Path: C:\Program Files\VirtualDJ\virtualdj.exe
Report Id: 5c6f01d3-5845-497b-bd63-7207363d5164
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Hang type: Cross-thread

Notice the Hang Type. Any ideas?

Posted Tue 16 Aug 22 @ 6:12 pm
I may have stumbled onto a possible 'fix'... It may possibly be the way the new VDJ 202x writes to drive cache and possibly is not releasing the markers until the application closes. Having a long automix playlist might cause the cache to reach its upper limit before reaching the end of a very long list. I would need an Atomix SW engineer to verify this for me. Here is what I have done (and, I will need to test it)...

.-. I changed the Virtual Memory Paging file size from "Automatic manage" to excessively large custom sizes.
. My system was set for 16MB Initial Size & approximately 3GB Maximum, and only on the boot drive,
. I changed it to 1GB Initial & 10GB Maximum.

Hopefully this works. Then, I can blame Microsoft and get prepared for an Apple M2 Air!

Posted Tue 16 Aug 22 @ 8:04 pm
If it would be a memory issue it should be a memory leak.
In that case best to check task manager every hour or so to see if vdj memory use is getting higher

Posted Wed 17 Aug 22 @ 8:20 am
Adion, I should have thought about leaving Task Manager up while I did this test. VDJ hung 6 hours and 10 minutes into a 9 hour automix. I unfortunately was letting it run with the volume down and was out of the room when it froze.

I'll test it again in the morning and see if I can catch something hoarding resources. It is getting late, here.

Posted Thu 18 Aug 22 @ 5:14 am
Too much free RAM...??? I was able to successfully run VDJ with a 9 hour AutoMix, while consuming a lot of system resources.

Per Adion's suggestion, I kept Task Manager & Resource Manager open on one of 3 screens. Since I have 16GB of RAM installed, I decided to accelerate this test for potential memory leaks by opening everything I could. I managed to initially consume ~12GB of RAM, and 13.8GB after 7 hours...
- I started a Hyper-V Win10x64 with 4GB of RAM and 4 of my 12 cores, launching Outlook and a few other things on another of the three monitors.
- I had Google Chrome open with 5 tabs, and opened & closed sessions during the day.
- I started FreeCAD and created a basic 3D object with 9 or 10 elements.
- I opened Excel and documented my session crashes for the last year, including today's success.
- I ran Firefox on several searches, and opened both Facebook & Instagram.
- I opened MS Edge and ran a bunch of searches.
- I periodically toggled VirtualDJ between two sound interfaces.

So... Does this mean I have a memory allocation issue? If I do, would it be due to an Intel driver, Microsoft Windows, a physical hardware design, or VirtualDJ issue? Since this issue did not happen from August 2017 thru June 2020, I am presuming it isn't hardware. This seems to be code-based.

I will recreate this test over the weekend. I have a DJ in 2 weeks. It looks like I can fire up the Hyper-V instance, possibly taking 6GB... I hope this is it.

Do any VirtualDJ developers feel like chiming in? This is above my retired pay grade. Maybe, one of you smarter and younger minds can shed some light on this.

Posted Fri 19 Aug 22 @ 4:54 am
So, what was the memory usage of VirtualDJ after 9 hours?

Posted Fri 19 Aug 22 @ 7:37 am
Adion wrote :

- It stayed around 13.8GB.

Posted Sat 20 Aug 22 @ 5:11 pm
I'm at a loss...
. - I tried running enough to consume between 8GB & 10GB of RAM, while I intermittently worked on other things. VDJ crashed 6 hours & 13 minutes into a 9 hour & 08 minute playlist... 119 songs.
. - I tried running enough to consume between about 13GB of RAM (including launching a Hyper-V virtual machine and minimizing it to the task bar), locked Windows 10 and went to sleep. VDJ crashed 6 hours & 11 minutes into the same 9 hour & 08 minute playlist... 118 songs.
... Actually, I am off by one song. These counts are what is recorded in "tracklist.txt". So, VDJ hung somewhere into the next song.

I am just not getting a good baseline to see a commonality between the system rebuilds with NVMe drive replacements. I have been keeping VDJ updated. I have replaced the boot drive and rebuilt the OS & environment from scratch each July the last 2 years, making this the 3rd drive running VDJ 202x since June 2020. The computer hardware otherwise is the same since July 2017, but Windows 10 has been continually updating. When I am DJ'ing, I am focused on the job and NOT opening & working on everything I can think of. I was hoping the Hyper-V image running would be enough, but it clearly isn't.

I need to find out how Apple handles this. Is anyone running an M2 Air with at lest a 512GB drive & 16GB of RAM? I am still saving up my dollars to put toward leaving Windows, but I need something more reliable until that day happens.

Posted Sat 20 Aug 22 @ 5:32 pm
AudioMaverick wrote :
Adion wrote :

- It stayed around 13.8GB.

For virtualdj??

Posted Sat 20 Aug 22 @ 6:40 pm
Also, just to be sure, it's not always the same playlist you are testing (in other words it's nit 6 hours that's key but maybe the specific song played at that time?)

Posted Sat 20 Aug 22 @ 6:44 pm
Adion wrote :
Also, just to be sure, it's not always the same playlist you are testing (in other words it's nit 6 hours that's key but maybe the specific song played at that time?)

. Different song each time... I was hoping it was a damaged file, too. I was building the list on the fly for the live events. It would have been an amazing coincidence if I had picked the same song 5 to 6.5 hours into a mix, but they were similar type events.
. For the at-home testing, I have been loading the same 9 hour & 08 minute playlist. For the sets I pulled from "playlist.txt" the run times before crashing were between 6 hours & 10 minutes and 6 hours & 19 minutes... except for the one that ram the whole 9+ hour set to the end.

For the playlists that failed to finish, the Application Event Viewer records:
Log Name: Application
Source: Application Hang
Event ID: 1002
Task Category: (101)
Description:
The program virtualdj.exe version 8.5.7059.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
Application Path: C:\Program Files\VirtualDJ\virtualdj.exe
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Hang type: Cross-thread
-
. I am not finding much on browser searches. I am trying one last overnight test using compatibility mode. After that, I am going to consider that VDJ's AutoMix is either not intended to be used in an extended mode, or it will not properly run with my system. I may have access to an Apple M2 Air. If so, I'll see about running VDJ from it and see if it exhibits a more stable behavior.

Posted Sun 21 Aug 22 @ 6:11 am
Compatibility mode (Windows 8) isn't the answer... What was supposed to be 9 hours was stopped on the 3rd song, and it was stopped in a 2-beat loop.

This is not a setting conducive to manually playing each song for 9 hours. It is more like a radio station automation. I might try mixing down some sets, but that defeats allowing people to ask for songs.

As far as I can tell, I will need to begin closing and re-opening VDJ somewhere around 4 or 5 hours in, to make sure it doesn't go bonkers on me. Time for an intermission set to play with media player or one of the streaming services that offer a download cache.

Posted Sun 21 Aug 22 @ 3:15 pm
Anything else you can share about your setup?
Controller connected? If not, which audio device, using asio drivers or wasapi?
Using video?

Have a computer here running in automix for 8 hours now, but still running fine.

Posted Sun 21 Aug 22 @ 3:21 pm
I had the same problem!
Solution Main memory diagnostics > Windows tool: mdsched.exe (This reported RAM problem)

installed two new RAM modules and the problem was solved!!

Posted Sun 21 Aug 22 @ 6:01 pm
Adion, refer back to my original post at the top of the thread. By the way, I created a new playlist of totally different track that dropped at 6 hours & 11 minutes into 139 songs. That is not far off where it has been crashing for the last approximately 2 years.

Benz Werner, I guess RAM can go bad. I have recently reseated the RAM after replacing the keyboard. I'll run mdsched to see what happens.

For the developers (just in case the RAM passes)... Of the few things I came across for Application Event ID 1002 for a Cross-Thread error, this old Windows 7 32-bit programmer's reference came up. Search for Cross-Thread:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/win7appqual/preventing-hangs-in-windows-applications

Posted Sun 21 Aug 22 @ 11:54 pm
Is ASIO or WASAPI selected in Audio config?
Also, what is the samplerate shown at the right side in audio config? (normally 44.1k or 48k)

Also, can you check that on the options window in the left bottom, it shows "v8.5-64"
Reason for asking is that there is still a 32-bit version, and that since your issue occurs around 6 hours in, it seems like it could be caused by a 32-bit variable overflowing.

(My test here is still running automix 22 hours in now btw, with VirtualDJ memory usage stable around 1GB depending on the length of the songs loaded)

Posted Mon 22 Aug 22 @ 5:22 am
Benz Werner wrote :
I had the same problem!
Solution Main memory diagnostics > Windows tool: mdsched.exe (This reported RAM problem)

installed two new RAM modules and the problem was solved!!

We’ll, Benz…. My pair of matched Crucial 8GB/ea DDR4 2666 SoDIMMs passed the “Basic” test with Cache “Off”. I was kind of hoping that my RAM was the issue, especially since Adion doesn’t seem to have this issue. Now, I have to consider that My Intel Core i7-8750 CPU-based Dell G7 has some sort of hardware or firmware issue, compared to others. Who are not seeing this issue. Materialize for them.
. “MDSCHED.EXE” hung several times at 21%, when I tried to run “Extended Mode”. I thought I had a bad module, because every configuration of a single module and swapping kept hanging. I ran across a “Microsoft Answers” thread where a bright young IT person had found this issue with several MS Surface Gen-3 units. Someone with an ASUS found Extended mode testing has to be done with “Cache” turned on. Extended has now run to 53%. I will check the results when it finishes two cycles.

Thank you for the suggestion. It could have been my issue, but it appears to be something else. I have access to an Apple M2 Air, now. I will test it during the week. Something tells me it will be awesome!

Posted Mon 22 Aug 22 @ 9:12 pm
87%