Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Wav files missing or not playing at all
In order to maintain the highest sound quality on our sound system, we recently decided to move from mp3 (320k) to wav format, which is CD quality as you will know. This all began when we took out a subscription to ilikemusic.com as they only offer wav format downloads. Add a new Amazon Music Prime HD subscription and a speaker upgrade to a new RCF bass and top system which offer far greater clarity compared to our existing speakers, so it all seemed like a good idea to upgrade to wav.

Last weekend, we had a gig where we were required to play a few songs which I had downloaded in wav format. They had all been successfully added to the VDJ database beforehand, but on the night, VDJ failed to find a couple of these tracks. I just assumed it was something I had done in error and didn't really give it a second thought. Come the Saturday just gone, NONE of the wav tracks I had added could be found, in spite of them all being successfully registered in the VDJ database the day before. This resulted in a minor panic as I was unable to play the first dance for the bride and groom. Luckily, after a five minute delay, I managed to download the song again and play it directly from another media player.

After a couple of hours of VDJ being in use, ALL the wav files magically appeared- and played without problem, but the song for the first dance was still missing.

Has anybody experienced anything like this with wav files in VDJ? If it's a bug, I'd love to know if there is a fix. For now, I will have to re-save all the latest wav additions as flac files.

Thanks - John

Posted Mon 25 Jul 22 @ 5:53 pm
I guess nobody else is having this problem.

Interesting that all the wav files have now managed to find their way into the search database, so it's all good again, but why it takes so long for these files to appear, I still have no idea.

I was going to add that the laptop I use for discos is a Windows 11 machine and a recent i5 model with 12 GB RAM, so more than capable. Even my old i3 backup laptop flies well. Both are dedicated disco machines so there's no other unnecessary software on them.

Posted Sun 31 Jul 22 @ 11:26 am
Did you check to see if the wav files existed in the filesystem?

If so, you can always access them in VDJ by navigating to the folder where they reside under the "Local Music/Volumes" branch of the browser.

If they weren't there, then it's likely some other program may have removed them. In over a decade of using this software I've never seen it delete a file when it's not supposed to.

Posted Mon 01 Aug 22 @ 10:39 am
are you using an external drive for you music?

could have lost connection

Posted Mon 01 Aug 22 @ 11:49 am
Hi CHRISTIANWHEEL. Thanks for this. Yes, the wav files definitely exist in the file system. I checked at the time, assuming that they would play from there, but they still wouldn't play for a couple of hours. It's as if Virtual DJ couldn't quite grab hold of them and was somehow loading them in very slowly.

Thanks WICKEDMIX. I always use external drives and never had a problem with them, but I have rarely used wav files until very recently.

These are Toshiba drives and have a USB3 connection, straight into a USB3 socket.

You've got me thinking now. Like you say, there must be a drop in connection, or at least a bottleneck of some kind, causing larger files to load in more slowly. But then would Virtual DJ work that way? Surely all files are referenced from links in the database. Virtual DJ wouldn't load a file if it hadn't been selected. Thinking out load - I am just trying to guess how this might work.

All my Toshiba drives are powered by USB. No psu. So could this be the problem? Do drives with no external psu run more slowly? Sorry, I am just guessing. I really cannot understand why this happens.

Thanks anyway folks. I will convert to flac files for now. They always work.

Posted Mon 01 Aug 22 @ 10:49 pm