Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Sandbox working in Controllers like Roland DJ
Hi.
I have a Wish.
Can the Atomix Programmers please correct the Sandbox work with Controllers with Multiple Audioconfig (Deck 1 , Deck 2 , Deck 3 , Deck4 , Cue ect.) ?
Thank You Dani

Posted Wed 16 Mar 22 @ 3:51 pm
From the user manual:

Sandbox will not operate in the following cases:

The Audio Setup is not configured as master + headphones
Already in the middle of a mix (more than one song is playing out on Master).
Effects, samples or loops playing on the "active" deck.
A Video file is playing in the active deck

In other words, sandbox is part of the software mixer. If your controller uses a hardware mixer setup then you cannot access sandbox.

Posted Fri 18 Mar 22 @ 6:40 pm
I know how sandbox mode works and how it doesn't.
I have expressed a wish that this could be improved please.
This also works with controllers or sound cards, where the audio routing (deck 1, deck 2, deck 3, deck 4) is, and the master is routed on the hardware side, as is the case with my Roland.
In Audioconfig you can set all decks, the PFL, sampler, as an audio output, you could eg. program that you can also select the sandbox and route it to the PFL output ;-)
Roughly as an example.
You don't need to explain to me how the Sanbox works.
I know that.
Greetings Dani

Posted Fri 18 Mar 22 @ 7:11 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
If you move the faders on a controller that does hardware mixing then it will change the volume of these inputs and that will be audible on the output. So you the problem for sandbox is that you need a master out as well.

Posted Sat 19 Mar 22 @ 2:37 am
Adion wrote :
If you move the faders on a controller that does hardware mixing then it will change the volume of these inputs and that will be audible on the output. So you the problem for sandbox is that you need a master out as well.

That's not the point.
The sandbox doesn't work at all, you can't turn it on at all.
And the reason is because you can't set it as an output in the audioconfig.
The Roland only has deck 1, deck 2, deck 3, deck 4, sampler, and headphones PFl, ..
And for inputs, sampler, mic, recording, line in 1, 2, 3, 4, ....
You could also make the sandbox adjustable for audio outputs, because this also uses the headphone output.
Thank You

Posted Sun 20 Mar 22 @ 1:40 am
Even if there was a sandbox audio output, where would you send it? Any of the deck channels are affected by the faders and other controls so those can't be used.

Posted Sun 20 Mar 22 @ 4:33 am
To PFL .
CUE Output Channel.
Sandbox in Virtual DJ is allways routed to the Headphone ;-)

Posted Sun 20 Mar 22 @ 11:41 am
What you are trying out with sandbox can indeed go to headphones. (And will)
But sandbox requires the original song to be able to be passed to the master output untouched.
If you have no master output, then the original song would need to go to one of the deck outputs, but then it will be affected by the level faders, crossfader, eq etc... so you couldn't use these for sandbox.

Posted Sun 20 Mar 22 @ 11:52 am
I have a Master Output.
From where comes the Music from the Decks to the Masterout???
But the Master is in the Controller .
All OutputChannels (Deck 1 2 3 4 , Sampler ect.) goes to the Master .
I can my Headphone Mix change to PFL or to Master ;-)
The Sandbox is also a Preview Channel to Headphonechannel , and the Deck goes to the Master ;-)

Posted Sun 20 Mar 22 @ 12:49 pm
It's the controller that mixes the deck inputs and sends it to the controller's deck output.
Since the controller doesn't know about sandbox, vdj can't control what is sent there directly.

Posted Sun 20 Mar 22 @ 1:02 pm
My Controller send the Decks , the Sampler TRs , the Mic ect. to the Masterout or to the Headphoneout..
Why it can't not the Sandbox to the Headphone send ?
Its the same , but not available in the Audioconfig .

Posted Sun 20 Mar 22 @ 1:17 pm
Not sure how I can make it more clear. The Roland controller does not have a dedicated master channel from the software.

So if you do this:
-Deck 1 is playing (so vdj sends deck 1 to the deck 1 channel)
-Activate sandbox
-Move the deck 1 fader or crossfader to try out some mix in your headphones
-> Because the controller does the mixing, the deck 1 channel on the mixer is now muted and the audience hears that you moved the deck 1 channel.

Since the roland is a weird kind of hybrid where it does the mixing itself but still depends on the software to send the headpones output, one thing you could do is use it in master/headphones mode.
You could add a master output to the audio setup and route it to the aux channel for example, remove the deck outputs from the audio setup, and remove the fake_* commands from ONINIT in the mapper.
That way you can use the controller fully in software mode including sandbox.

Posted Sun 20 Mar 22 @ 1:38 pm