Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Replace song file (mp3) but the metadata?
Is there a way how to replace an mp3 in Virtual DJ with a better sounding version, but without losing cues, loops, tags etc.?

I have just found out that I need to replace a large number of tracks in my library (due to audio quality issues introduced by a third party SW that processes my audio files before I put them into Virtual DJ) and I do not want to redo all the work on them again. The file name and file type will be identical, just the file size will change and, of course, the embedded mp3 tags will not be the same, because, in my workflow, I am storing some of the Virtual DJ info in the mp3 tags. Thanks a lot.

Posted Tue 22 Feb 22 @ 1:43 pm
Yes, you can replace the file (assuming that filename is the same) and it won't really matter for VirtualDJ.
However you'll have to reanalyze the song(s) afterwards since VirtualDJ will need to calculate new auto gain levels e.t.c.
When you reanalyze the songs, if setTagsAuto setting is enabled, the info VirtualDJ has on it's database regarding that particular song(s) will also get written on the tags, effectively overwriting the info that your new tracks have present.

Posted Tue 22 Feb 22 @ 1:58 pm
I tried this and the cues were not right. After looking at the replacement song, I realized it was a few seconds shorter. So, I am guessing that unless the song is the exact same total time then the cues will be off.

Posted Tue 22 Feb 22 @ 2:17 pm
Thank you!
I need to replace a bunch (~50) of songs that got some strange audible artefacts after processing them with Platinum Notes 4. So the songs are exactly the same in terms of timing. Since I am using also Mixed in key 10, I assume I should turn off getTagsAuto, useKeyFromTag and getCuesFromTags to avoid overwriting what I have in the Virtual DJ database with the content coming from the new mp3 - correct?
I want to bypass Platinum Notes 4 and use the original mp3 instead.

Posted Tue 22 Feb 22 @ 2:33 pm
fallguy66 wrote :
I tried this and the cues were not right. After looking at the replacement song, I realized it was a few seconds shorter. So, I am guessing that unless the song is the exact same total time then the cues will be off.

It doesn't mind if it's shorter or longer, or even the "exact" length..
Hotcues are stored as "time elapsed from the beginning of the track"
Therefore if the new track has a few ms of silence in the beginning, or the old one had a little bit of silence in the beginning etc the hotcues will be off.

Posted Tue 22 Feb 22 @ 4:59 pm
Bowie Groove wrote :
Thank you!
I need to replace a bunch (~50) of songs that got some strange audible artefacts after processing them with Platinum Notes 4. So the songs are exactly the same in terms of timing. Since I am using also Mixed in key 10, I assume I should turn off getTagsAuto, useKeyFromTag and getCuesFromTags to avoid overwriting what I have in the Virtual DJ database with the content coming from the new mp3 - correct?
I want to bypass Platinum Notes 4 and use the original mp3 instead.

You don't need to disable getTagsauto e.t.c. since those settings are used for new tracks, and not tracks that are already present on the database.
Of course, you should NOT reload the tags of your files before analyzing them (with setTagsauto enabled)

Posted Tue 22 Feb 22 @ 5:01 pm