Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Ability to import a list of songs to a Cloudlist or directly to VDJ

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

CannenPRO InfinityMember since 2016
With the rise of Spotify and other music streaming services, we as DJs often get lists of songs to play. Often, they are very long. As an example, for my gig tonight, I was given a list of 70 songs to play. Yes, I'm a jukebox tonight. But what do I do with the list I was given? Currently, I need to search each and every track one by one.

What I would like to see is a way to import either a text file or a CSV file with at least just name and artist directly info VDJ so that I can search the songs from a list. The functionality to search this way already exists with Cloudlists, but we are required to add one song at a time manually. A private Cloudlist that I could import a text or CSV file would work too.

Another use-case for this is if we download a current chart list. We could grab a list of the top 100 songs, import it into VDJ, and then search against our library and record pools.

I think one easy implementation would be to allow us to save a file in the Cloudlist folder in the VDJ directory that would then be uploaded. Or, if not that, at least not deleted when I refresh the list in VDJ. If I need to, I can create my own xml file.

However it happens, this feature would be very helpful when getting ready for events.

Posted Sat 03 Jul 21 @ 11:47 am

Posted Sun 04 Jul 21 @ 8:58 am
CannenPRO InfinityMember since 2016
groovindj wrote :

Thanks for the reply. However, these are different than what I'm looking for. Musconv seems to transfer the music itself from a particular service to VDJ from what I can tell.

Summonizer takes a list of Artist - Title, then it will search the VDJ database for those tracks. After it does that, then it creates a playlist or virtual folder of the tracks it found in your library. The problem with that is that it's not picky enough. I tried it yesterday. I had a list of 60 tracks. It created a virtual folder with 600. The software is good, and it does give you a percentage to represent how confident of the match it is.

What I'm asking for though is a direct way to import a list of Artist - Title. Then, I can use that in VDJ with the search feature in the browser.... just like a cloudlist. If I don't find a match, I'll know right then.

The XML file is pretty simple to duplicate. I did it yesterday. The problem I run into is either I'm using the wrong escape characters or the virtual folder needs to be created in a different way than just copying a text file to the "Folders" directory in your Virtual DJ folder in your user profile.

The file below works because it's simple. But, the more lines you add, the more likely it'll be that it won't work anymore.

Create a text file called something like text.vdjfolder. Then, put this code into it. After that, start VDJ and you'll be able to click on the dots next to the track to search for it. That's what I want. This simple file does work.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<VirtualFolder>
<song path="search://Madonna/Vogue/" artist="Madonna" title="Vogue" />
</VirtualFolder>

Below is what is in an actual virtual folder. The only thing that differs is the path format

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<VirtualFolder>
<song path="search://Madonna/Vogue/" artist="Madonna" title="Vogue" />
</VirtualFolder>

Since I don't know what else is going on with how the files are built or the method being used to escape the special characters, I can't figure out what is causing the first list to fail when it has more lines

Also, this file is written almost identical to the cloud list file except the first tag. The cloudlist uses <cloudfolder> and some variables to link it to the website content. The virtual folder is tag is just <VirtualFolder>

What I think the easiest thing for Atomix today would be to add a bulk import option to the cloudlist editor page instead of make us enter them one-by-one. The other options could be either to expose how the special characters are encode so that I can duplicate it using a spreadsheet, or just add a button that will allow us to import the text file into VDDJ.

Also, I tried creating a cloud list file on my computer and putting it into the cloudlist directory. That didn't work because VDJ didn't see it. If you try to edit a cloudlist file directly, in a text editor, the changes don't show and will be wiped anyway when you refresh the list. The other simple thing that might be done is to allow us to add an attribute to the <cloudlist> tag that would prevent the system from making changes to a file we create. Then, allow it to show in a list somewhere in the software.

To me, getting a list of music, from bride, a top 100 list, etc is so common that I don't really understand why it isn't a feature already.

Sorry if that wasn't worded very clearly. I'm exhausted.

Posted Sun 04 Jul 21 @ 2:17 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)