Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Brand new controller and its not supported, Traktor Kontrol S4
PtownDJPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Purchased the Tractor Control S4 recommended in a list of controllers in VDJ only to find out its mapped for the basics only? What the hell????

Posted Sat 12 Jun 21 @ 3:33 am
Edit ... more info below.

Posted Sat 12 Jun 21 @ 3:46 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
@kradcliffe s4 mk3

@PtownDJ
Nowhere does it say that the S4 mk3 is officially supported by vdj, atomix made every effort to cover it but native instruments hasn't shared any information on the NHL protocol that this unit uses for screens.

Posted Sat 12 Jun 21 @ 3:49 am

Posted Sat 12 Jun 21 @ 1:06 pm
PtownDJ wrote :
Purchased the Tractor Control S4 recommended in a list of controllers in VDJ only to find out its mapped for the basics only? What the hell????

Yes, Native Instruments has blocked the screen and haptic usages for other software

So yes I totally agree with you:
What the hell is Native Instruments doing????

I would 100% send it back with a written complaint to Native Instruments
I'm also pretty sure what they are doing is illegal in the EU - but maybe not in the US (customers are generally better protected under EU law)

Posted Sat 12 Jun 21 @ 1:20 pm
HeltinoPRO InfinityMember since 2020
With all given respect....the marketing strategy of Native Instruments is known. THe grade of compatibility with VDJ is as well known.
It makes absolutley no sense at all to purchase Native instruments hardware if you are not planning to use Traktor.
For the called prices twice not.

Pioneer or Denon or whatever would have been a smarter choice for the use with VDJ.

Posted Sat 12 Jun 21 @ 2:07 pm
It's actually worse than most understand, some of their [NI] gear out of the factory works differently depending on the batch number, them knowing the firmware, they can make the driver make it work with traktor.

here's hoping when midi 2.0 standard goes mainstream these propriety shenanigans will be laid to rest, doubt it though.

Posted Sat 12 Jun 21 @ 2:23 pm
I really like the look of some of the NI hardware, but the software is truly awful.

Each to their own and all that .......

Posted Sat 12 Jun 21 @ 2:44 pm
Ive scheduled the return, reason being that the controller has no NI support for VDJ... What do you guys think about the "Rane One"?

Posted Sat 12 Jun 21 @ 2:53 pm

Posted Sat 12 Jun 21 @ 2:56 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
I really like the look of some of the NI hardware.

looks good but servicing consumables, like a knackered fader, are terrible;
1 NI don't hold replacements [and won't tell you where you can get them]
I found who makes them and they are cheap as chips but you need to navigate about 20 or so spec sheets to find the right fader & order 10
2 actually replacing, replacing faders should be a single screwdriver 20 minute job, not with NI, heatgun + solvents to remove the cover plate [cover plate needs all mixer pot nuts to be removed], pretty much break the unit into boards, and then the faders are soldered to the pcb, even with all the toys it's a 2 hour job

As a service tech, I have lots of cursing for NI HW

Posted Sat 12 Jun 21 @ 3:40 pm
I purchasesd a new controller and this weekend was my first time using it live... I will say that a developer who works foe NI was very impressed,,, I mentioned I had just returned there controller due to no support.... I don't get it, VDJ is stable, that's all that matter to me, Serato works much the same way, nut not always! Im not sure what to do, I love the sound of the RANE One, But all these bells and whistles really are ofer the top for was that average DJ needs., Im so tired I hope this makes sense.... I would love to hear back from the VDJ environment...n est of luck toyoiv

Posted Wed 23 Jun 21 @ 6:46 am