Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Pitch lock does not seem to work

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

My understanding of Pitch Lock was that if I am changing the tempo of the song (say from 120-125 BPM) that it will retain the pitch of the song as I increase the tempo. That does not seem to be the case and I can't tell the difference between pitch lock on vs pitch lock off. It sounds the same, and it is REALLY NOTICEABLE when I am increasing or decreasing the pitch.

Is there anyway I can do a smooth transition up without the pitch change being so noticeable where it sounds like Alvin and the Chipmunks during the transition?

Posted Mon 05 Apr 21 @ 5:08 pm
No that is not pitch lock. Pirch lock locks the pitch of 2 or more decks together so that they change together

Posted Mon 05 Apr 21 @ 5:17 pm
You should instead look for "master tempo"
There are a few ways to use it in VDJ, but the simplest is to click the "MT" text on each deck so that it gets turned on for the deck
Then the time stretching algorithm is used, and you can change bpm/tempo without changing pitch
You may also want to change the setting for pitchQuality to 3 or 4 to get even better time stretching - but it takes a bit more cpu

Posted Mon 05 Apr 21 @ 5:22 pm
Thx bud - changing the MT setting has it working much better now.

Posted Mon 05 Apr 21 @ 5:31 pm
I am going to experiment with a button that toggles between master_tempo (original pitch when I don't need to mix harmonically, eg, the track or mix sections are sparse or not very melodic, or it is a nice chord progression just not a fifth), match_key (to auto-harmonic mix for tunes with mix in/out sections that are melodic, which I don't want to separate using EQs or stems), and neither (for when scratching). I'd love to be able to figure out non-fifth progressions (the basis of the circle of fifths) and have a button toggle between them, but my music theory's not there.

Posted Tue 06 Apr 21 @ 4:37 pm
The following seems to work. The auto_key_match will only go a single semitone in either direction to match. This is a bit too conservative for me, and using match_key removes that limit completely. However this means you can easily get chipmunks, eg, matching E to Gm is a 6 semitone shift to A#, so I have made the match_key setting flash rapidly as a warning to prelisten first!

master_tempo ? master_tempo & match_key : param_equal "`get_key_modifier`" 0 ? master_tempo : blink 250ms & key 0

I considered adding `& param_bigger "`get_key_modifier`" 3 ? key 0` to block shifts further than 3 semitones, but decided I'd prefer to see some response.

Posted Tue 06 Apr 21 @ 10:03 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)