Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: How to Fix VDJ? Clean Install or ?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Is there a Wiki page or other resource for doing a clean install of VDJ?

I have had situations that others cannot reproduce, the strange behaviors (can give links to forum threads), and recently, now 3 times there will be no master output, with the master VU meter greyed out. Rebooting VJD fixes it, but after happening during a set, need to fix it, cannot hope it will not happen again)

Everyone always has great suggestions and I always learn much, in the forums. So before I make mistake and loose cue points etc.. was interested in the best advice.

Possible suggestions ..

1) A clean install, then to restore database from backup?

2) Use the Reset all from bottom of Options & Tweaks in settings then restore database?

once I get it working flawlessly again, any daily/weekly/monthly routines to keep VJD healthy?

Posted Tue 08 Dec 20 @ 5:40 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
All settings are saved in Documents\VirtualDJ\settings.xml so to start fresh without losing your database that's the only file you might want to rename.

Posted Tue 08 Dec 20 @ 5:58 am
It is possible that there is something in the settings.xml file that is not correct?

For example:
In this thread http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/237915/Addons/Mic_Aux_Release_Sampler_FXs_(MARS).html

I was attempting to find the what is causing my installation of VDJ to not function as it should.

I unchecked ALL the Modified Options, one by one and. > Mic_Aux_Release_Sampler_FXs_(MARS) Still misbehaves

But using the "Reset ALL" button at the bottom of the Options Page, the Mic_Aux_Release_Sampler_FXs_(MARS) plug in works as expected.

How do I find that change(s), in VDJ that is fixed by RESET ALL . but Not fixed by manually unchecking each of the Modified Options?
Does anything jump out, as the possible cause?

I have tried to compare the 2 settings.xml files 1) the RESET ALL with the 2) the manually unchecked Modified Options , and get lost in the sea of lines of code. ( one has subcategories like <automation>, and other all listed under <options> etc )

Still wondering what is best solution for a fix, and not loose my saved settings and cue points, virtual folders etc .. (I can with some work, create list of options that have been modified)

And what should I be doing on a regular basis so as not get into a situation where my install of VDJ is out of sync with updates and changes and changes I add or try. (thinking of the analogy of the windows registry causing problems with unnecessary entries)

Posted Tue 08 Dec 20 @ 7:19 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
It is indeed very strange behavior, can't say what setting might cause that. Perhaps a custom effect that was selected, or a different keyboard mapper?
If you still have the settings.xml that caused this behavior, feel free to send it to me and I'll have a look.

There's generally not really anything you need to do.
If you sometimes move or delete files outside of VirtualDJ you might want to use the 'remove missing files from database' from time to time, but that's about it.

Posted Tue 08 Dec 20 @ 8:10 am
The keyboard mapper is Disabled . (since causes issues if attempting to type in diff app and the focus is still on VDJ , when using multiple screens)

Posted Tue 08 Dec 20 @ 9:22 am
For practice and peace of mind that I could get VDJ back close to the way it was, and learn about the best way to do a clean install, I renamed the VirtualDJ folder in Documents and restarted VDJ.

Then attempted to do a Database restore, that was created moments before, to learn about the restore process.

None of the nearly 100 Virtual Folders and Virtual sub-Folders (the ones with Red Box shaped icons) were restored.

Though the Back up and Restore process window, pictured above, one would have believed that the Virtual Folders are being backed up and Could be restored.

Checking in the zipped Database file, the Folders folder, one finds it contains none of the Virtual Folders that I created so carefully.
(The LocalMusic folder in Documents/VirtualDJ/Folders is where the Virtual Folder Tree, is located and is NOT in the Database Backup, zipped file)

Is this the expected behaviour of the Restore?

-----------------------------
Is there a wiki, or procedure for doing a clean install?

Posted Tue 15 Dec 20 @ 1:25 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)