Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: VDJ and computer hangs hard

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi
VDJ has worked fine for a mounth or so when i started to use it. 2 weeks ago it totaly freeze at the club and i couldnĀ“t do anything and a hard reboot was the only thing to get it to work. I havent done anything with the installation since day one exept installed the VDJ updates. Stems are disabled.
I have tested it at home and a got a few hangs after 2-3 hour playing on automix sometime.
Because the VDJ and computer totaly hangs no log is written at the specific time. Cant find any releted log files in the computer and no logs in VDJ folder.
If i try to reproduce the error, can i put the VDJ i some debug mode so it always write som log or it does already that but i cant find it?
I would like to see if i can find some clue what it could be.
I have used the computer from 2017-2020 about 200 clubnights and Traktor software and absolutly no problem. I want to find out if it is the computer, harware or program error.
I have:
Latest VDJ 6156
Pioneer DDJ-SX2 controller, latest firmware 1.06
Macbook pro early 2015, Mojave 10.14.6, 16Gb Int.Memory, 30 gig free harddrive space

Posted Tue 17 Nov 20 @ 7:50 am

Posted Tue 17 Nov 20 @ 2:20 pm
Everything is freezing. I can restart the controller and the controller boot up but jumps back to where it was ( led, button and jog) so no it not freeze.
To the mac you don't need drivers ( no drivers to download)

Posted Tue 17 Nov 20 @ 4:41 pm
charliebuddrocker wrote :
To the mac you don't need drivers ( no drivers to download)

Mac often need drivers, but true, not for the SX2.
You should update the firmware though https://www.pioneerdj.com/en/support/software/ddj-sx2/

charliebuddrocker wrote :
Everything is freezing. I can restart the controller and the controller boot up but jumps back

What you mean by that. Do you have to restart the controller?
If so it might be hardware issue

Posted Tue 17 Nov 20 @ 6:40 pm
As I wrote I have the latest firmware 1.06 on the controller.
The computer and the VDJ freeze and when that happen the controller is freezed too of because of no data is sending. Nothing is happen. I can restart the controller but I doesn't matter. That's not the problem. Controller is ok.
Something is wrong, the computer or VDJ but I can't find any clue what it is because no log.

Posted Tue 17 Nov 20 @ 7:36 pm
Could be software, could be hardware.

Its a little hard to say what comes first, the "chicken or the egg".
If the controller freeze, the software will often too. And if the software freeze, the controller "stops"

But if you restart the software, and the controller still dont respond, and you have to restart the controller too, I would lean on the controller being the cause.
(and SX2 has many posts about freeze on Pioneer forums, regardless of what software is used)

charliebuddrocke wrote :

Something is wrong, the computer or VDJ but I can't find any clue what it is because no log.

Turn on createMidiLog in VirtualDJ settings, set it to "yes"..
Hopefully being able to capture what happens ;-)

Posted Tue 17 Nov 20 @ 7:48 pm
I can't restart the software. Everything is freezed. The computer hangs. Read my first post.

I put the VDJ on to night without controller and come back tomorrow when it has hangs. Promise. The controller is not the problem

Posted Tue 17 Nov 20 @ 8:00 pm
Now i have tested 2 nights, with controller and 6 hour and no freezing. Very strange.
But when i closed VDJ i got a error report. Can anyone explain?

Application Specific Information:
abort() called
VirtualDJ(4052,0x10dc1b5c0) malloc: Incorrect checksum for freed object 0x7f96138d0c00: probably modified after being freed.
Corrupt value: 0xdb

Posted Thu 19 Nov 20 @ 4:26 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
this smells like a power issue.
It's known that some club "atmospherics" [cheap smoke machines usually] can make laptops derp. [inductive spike] We power all our sound gear via a spike filter power distribution [surge protection] [sounds fancier than it is, it's just an power extension that has a resistor+capacitor that "irons out" crappy power feed]

if you're not seeing it derp out @home then it's likely a venue issue, the easiest test is [other than running on battery] a decent filtered power feed
an example

disclaimer I've never used that brand, our gear is salvage from server cabs, I think we have masterplug gear. [so BS:EN certified]

Posted Thu 19 Nov 20 @ 10:54 pm
locodog wrote :
this smells like a power issue.
It's known that some club "atmospherics" [cheap smoke machines usually] can make laptops derp. [inductive spike] We power all our sound gear via a spike filter power distribution [surge protection] [sounds fancier than it is, it's just an power extension that has a resistor+capacitor that "irons out" crappy power feed]

if you're not seeing it derp out @home then it's likely a venue issue, the easiest test is [other than running on battery] a decent filtered power feed
an example

disclaimer I've never used that brand, our gear is salvage from server cabs, I think we have masterplug gear. [so BS:EN certified]

I have the problem also when i test it at home, so NO the program and/or the Mac is not freeze because the power.

Posted Sat 21 Nov 20 @ 5:05 am
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
Sometimes got this kind of error while testing how to create plugin and doing things wrong...
maybe a specific plugin is doing things wrong in some case

Posted Sat 21 Nov 20 @ 5:51 am
Nicotux wrote :
Sometimes got this kind of error while testing how to create plugin and doing things wrong...
maybe a specific plugin is doing things wrong in some case

Yes maybe.The only thing I have install right before when it starts to hang was;: Echo cut, some virtual sample pack and My library. I try to uninstal that and test again

Posted Sat 21 Nov 20 @ 4:38 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)