Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: DenonDJ Prime 2 / Prime 4 Laptop disconnection issues

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi everyone

I am having real issues with the Prime 2 randomly disconnecting / reconnecting with my Dell Windows Laptop. My reason for posting is that I would like to hear from anyone who is using VDJ with the Prime 2 (or Prime 4) and not using it standalone mode.
I have to add here that I do not believe that this is a VDJ issue (I have been using it for years now and I have a pro license). The Prime 2 disconnects/reconnects from the laptop even without VDJ running. I have tried everything I can think of (USB power options/Laptop power options etc etc). When I use it with my Pioneer SB2 it works fine.
I think it may be a Prime 2 hardware / firmware issue. I would be grateful if you could reply to my post if you have / have not had issues.
Many thanks :)

Posted Sun 11 Oct 20 @ 11:01 am
I've not noticed this with my Prime 4, but to be honest I haven't run it with VDJ for extended periods.

Can you give some idea of when this happens (how long is VDJ in use before it disconnects)?

I notice you're using a Dell machine. Have you de-junked it?

Posted Sun 11 Oct 20 @ 11:32 am
Hi groovindj

Thank you for your reply : )

The issue is very intermittent. Sometimes 10 mins, sometimes 90 mins. At first I thought it may be VDJ/setting related, but I am now connecting the Prime 2 to the laptop without VDJ running. So the laptop is connecting just to the sound card in the unit. Every now and then, I can hear the Windows 'new hardware connection sound' as the laptop losses/remakes the connection. With VDJ running this means that the Prime 2 controls become unresponsive, oddly the audio never stops though. I haven't completely de bloated the Dell laptop. I have a Pioneer SB2 which I have used for a very long time, this works faultlessly. I understand that the Prime 2 / 4 are designed to be standalone, and I am wondering how many DJ's are using these units with VDJ or connecting them to a computer? Thanks :)

Posted Sun 11 Oct 20 @ 11:58 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Did you try a different USB port or different USB cable?

Posted Sun 11 Oct 20 @ 12:13 pm
Hi Adion

Yes, several different cables, even put a USB hub in between just to see if that made a difference. The Prime 2 came with a USB 3 cable, which I believe carries extra signals (?) as it has an extra section on the Prime end. I do not have another one of these, but tried several 'standard' cables. Thanks :)

Posted Sun 11 Oct 20 @ 12:24 pm
Sorry Adion ...

Yes, tried all ports, even the USB 2 port. I have tried it on three laptops (two identical, one much higher spec)

Posted Sun 11 Oct 20 @ 12:27 pm
Are all three laptops Dell?

Posted Sun 11 Oct 20 @ 1:02 pm
Yes, all Dell

i5/8mb/256 ssd (x2)
i7/16mb/512 ssd (x1)

Posted Sun 11 Oct 20 @ 1:26 pm
So....are you thinking what I'm thinking? A pattern has emerged.

Posted Sun 11 Oct 20 @ 1:32 pm
Well...maybe. What baffles me is that when any of the laptops are connected to the Pioneer SB2 it works for hours on end without a glitch. I do have an old HP machine I can try later, and I will get rid of anything I don't use from the Dells. Thank you for your help. Much appreciated. :)

Posted Sun 11 Oct 20 @ 1:48 pm

Posted Sun 11 Oct 20 @ 2:53 pm
It might be worth mentioning this on the Denon DJ forum, to see if anyone else there is using a Dell machine with a Prime unit.

Posted Sun 11 Oct 20 @ 4:03 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)