Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: PAD_PAGE command is totally messed up!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi!

As the title says there is something reeeeaaaally confusing happening in this whole new PAD_PAGE-commands thing.
It is a brilliant idea which I had already done for myself with custom_buttons. The new way is even cooler, but there is something wrong. And also feel free to tell me if I'm the one getting something wrong.

Basicaly there is NO SINGLE DIFFERENCE between:
"PAD_PAGE"
and
"PAD_PAGE 1" (or any other number)

Normally PAD_PAGE 'NameOfPage' should just open the PAD_PAGE with the given name...
Instead of that, it OVERWRITES the whole SLOT which was selected at last.
So now if there is a PAD which (in earlier versions) OPENED ANOTHER PAD_PAGE, it NOW OVERWRITES the SLOT so that you can't get back at the pad_page again because the slot has now another pad_page on it.

To give a better example:
I have a pad_page... It's named "SELECTOR".
It is a pad_page with which I can select specific pad_pages (for controllers which don't have enough PAD MODE buttons).
Basically to expand the opportunities with a limited amount of buttons on a Controller or CDJ.
(YES, I don't want to use the INDEX pad_page because I want to know which pad selects which pad_page)
The SELECTOR is on e.g. SLOT 4.
So I click SLOT 4...
The SELECTOR opens...
I choose a PAD_PAGE via a PAD, and after that I am UNABLE to open the SELECTOR again via SLOT 4 because it's OVERWRITTEN!
And this is not the only Pad which opens a pad_page.

PAD_PAGE BTN4 also only selects the SLOT.
So no matter what I try, but if I'm getting it right I ALWAYS HAVE TO "create" slots which I than can select via "PAD_PAGE BTNx" but there is NO SINGLE WAY to just select some random pad_page WITHOUT changing some slot.
THIS(!!!!!) is an ENORMOUS RESTRICTION OF OPPORTUNITIES!!!!!

PAD_PAGE (without given name) does exaclty the same as what "PAD_PAGE_SELECT" does... It opens a dropdown-menu.
But it's not possible to give "PAD_PAGE_SELECT" a NUMBER... Why? Isn't this like more intuitive than to have it on "PAD_PAGE"?

SORRY GUYS, I don't mean to offend anybody... But pleas get this right and clearly understandable.

PAD_PAGE: Open a pad_page WITHOUT changing ANY SLOT!
PAD_PAGE 1/2/3 etc.: Open pad_page 1 WITHOUT changing ANY SLOT!
PAD_PAGE_SELECT: Open dropdown to select a new pad_page for the last selected slot.
PAD_PAGE_SELECT 1/2/3 etc.: Open dropdown to select a new pad_page for the slot with the given NUMBER.
PAD_PAGE BTN 1/2/3 etc.: Select the SLOT with the given number. (Could also be named PAD_MODE 1/2/3 etc.)

So again... Don't get me wrong... I like everything the devs made and this is an absolute brilliant idea which is a BIIIIIIG selling point of this software... But this needs to be done correctly...
I don't want to attack nor criticize anybody, and please tell me if I'm completely wrong....
But as it seems this is not worked out correctly and needs to be cleaned up.

Posted Sun 11 Oct 20 @ 3:57 am
EDIT: I just saw you got a way better answer in a more recent post :)

Yes, this was also discussed when it was changed, and the devs explained why in the post

As I understand it the current slot was always overwritten - but back before the change there was only one slot per deck, so you didn't notice that was how it worked

Because of the new assignment feature, where you can select which pad pages are used on a controller (instead of having to remap it), there are now more slots per deck, but you still overwrite the current slot

Something like that...

Posted Sun 25 Oct 20 @ 4:48 am
klausmogensen wrote :
EDIT: I just saw you got a way better answer in a more recent post :)

Yes, this was also discussed when it was changed, and the devs explained why in the post

As I understand it the current slot was always overwritten - but back before the change there was only one slot per deck, so you didn't notice that was how it worked

Because of the new assignment feature, where you can select which pad pages are used on a controller (instead of having to remap it), there are now more slots per deck, but you still overwrite the current slot

Something like that...

Ooooh ok...

Now that's a legit explaination... Thank you for that.
But what "accidentally happend" is what seems was the more logical way.
Or at least it is what I think the most ones prefer, because it is just more practicable.

So yes, a good explaination and understandable why it is like that,
but hopefully it will get changed to the version I explained / asked for.

Posted Sun 25 Oct 20 @ 9:52 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)