Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Work out what button a given MIDI name is? (Or clone deck on Rane 72.)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I want to do find out how to clone a deck on the Rane 72 mapping (it is different from the Serato double-click and I can't find it in the docs).

I can see it in the controller mapping - the button is called INSTD_PARAM+. No variables indicating a shift or anything, but I can't find out what button it is!

If it is mapped to something, this should be added to the docs as many scratch DJs (the 72 target audience) will use clone a lot. If it isn't mapped maybe long press load, or shift plus load.

Posted Tue 06 Oct 20 @ 2:06 pm
You need to update the firmware of Rane 72 to latest version.
Then you need to access the Rane 72 settings menu and set the desired mode for Parameter buttons.
Available modes are:
Silent Cue
Sync Mode
Instant Double
Generic MIDI

You select the Instant Double mode, and the parameter buttons of the pads work for cloning the tracks.

This functionality has been added with the latest Firmware version after the release of Seventy Two MKII (which also shares the exact same functionality)

Posted Wed 07 Oct 20 @ 11:00 am
Ahh thank you! That explains the naming too. In Serato double-clicking the load button also clones. I can't upgrade the firmware as I have an Innofader and haven't got the new adaptor board yet (it's home but I'm travelling), so I'm thinking shift+load to start the preview player and long press load to clone.

Posted Wed 07 Oct 20 @ 2:37 pm
You don't need the new crossafader board in order to update your firmware. In fact our test unit has the latest firmware without the board and it works as a charm.
Also it is possible to remap the load encoder to include clone

Try this:
<map value="BROWSE_PUSH" action="browser_window 'folders' ? holding 300ms ? browser_folder : browser_enter : doubleclick ? clone_from_deck : load" />

Posted Wed 07 Oct 20 @ 3:42 pm

Posted Wed 07 Oct 20 @ 4:07 pm
I am trying to make shift+browser push toggle the preview player. I've tried

shift ? prelisten toggle : browser_window 'folders' ? holding 300ms ? browser_folder : browser_enter : doubleclick ? clone_from_deck : load

and

shift ? prelisten ? prelisten_stop : prelisten : browser_window 'folders' ? holding 300ms ? browser_folder : browser_enter : doubleclick ? clone_from_deck : load

Both successfully work without shift pressed, but I can't trigger the preview player. Anyone any tips? Thanks

Posted Wed 07 Oct 20 @ 7:06 pm
techtitch wrote :
I am trying to make shift+browser push toggle the preview player. I've tried

shift ? prelisten toggle : browser_window 'folders' ? holding 300ms ? browser_folder : browser_enter : doubleclick ? clone_from_deck : load

and

shift ? prelisten ? prelisten_stop : prelisten : browser_window 'folders' ? holding 300ms ? browser_folder : browser_enter : doubleclick ? clone_from_deck : load

Both successfully work without shift pressed, but I can't trigger the preview player. Anyone any tips? Thanks

Try this:
shift ? prelisten : browser_window 'folders' ? holding 300ms ? browser_folder : browser_enter : doubleclick ? clone_from_deck : load

If it still doesn't work, then use the drop down list of the available keys, and select SHIFT_BROWSE_PUSH key
Then simple use prelisten action on it

Posted Wed 07 Oct 20 @ 7:16 pm
Neither method worked, I think because SHIFT_BROWSE_PUSH is wrongly mapped.

When I press and release SHIFT, MIDI Monitor reports Channel 16 D2 127 ON, D2 0 OFF.
When I press BROWSE_PUSH, MIDI Monitor reports Channel 16 D#-2 127 ON, D#-2 0 OFF.
When I press SHIFT + BROWSE PUSH, I see Channel 16 D#0 127 ON, D#0 0 OFF (surrounded by the SHIFT key click and release notes, obviously).

I assume `shift ? prelisten : ...` doesn't work because BROWSE_PUSH sends a different note when SHIFT is pushed.

I assume SHIFT_BROWSE_PUSH is wrongly mapped because when I click on SHIFT + BROWSE_PUSH, I see the SHIFT in the list of detected buttons top right of the mapping config window, but I do not see the BROWSE_PUSH, with or without SHIFT.

However I am brand new to all this so treat my findings with due scepticism.

Posted Thu 08 Oct 20 @ 1:27 pm
Can I fix this in the controller device mapper if I get the full license? (If my theory is right.)

Posted Fri 09 Oct 20 @ 9:32 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)