Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Cues from mp3s in Serato are slightly too late

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I am looking at moving from Serato to VirtualDJ, but my cue points from Serato are all a fraction of a second too late. The convertor app DJCU calls this the mp3 cue and loop shift problem. (I think there is a small block of audio data at the start which may be counted in the source system cue offset, maybe for backwards compatibility, not counted in the destination software, that leads to the issue - i also saw it when covering from Traktor to Serato a few years ago using Rekordbuddy.) I'm using the latest versions of Serato and VirtualDJ. Any workarounds? Eg, using DJCU to convert to some intermediate format VirtualDj reads with correction? Or an option in VirtualDJ?

Posted Mon 05 Oct 20 @ 11:12 am
There's no option or function in VDJ to adjust for this. The conversion tools should have this covered. Rekordcloud claims to respect this variance when converting data between the DJ programs.

Posted Tue 06 Oct 20 @ 11:12 am
if you have smart play and smart cue enabled it may work fine even though they are slightly off
give it a try

Posted Tue 06 Oct 20 @ 12:50 pm
1) VirtualDJ can read and transform Serato cues just fine by it's own. You don't need to use a third party software to do that.
2) If the third party software doesn't make correct transformations then you should ask that software support center for advice
3) VirtualDJ has an action named 'shift_all_cues' This action can help you to adjust all cues of a track at the same time.
As I said, the action works against the track that's loaded on the deck you use it. Therefore you can only do one track at the time, and not your entire collection.
4) I would suggest you to check the "getCuesFromTags' setting, adjust it, and let VirtualDJ handle the cues conversion from Serato to VirtualDJ.
Best way to do it is to set the setting to 'for new files' option, delete your VirtualDJ database, and let it handle everything by it's own.

Posted Tue 06 Oct 20 @ 12:51 pm

Posted Tue 06 Oct 20 @ 1:42 pm
> 1) VirtualDJ can read and transform Serato cues just fine by it's own. You don't need to use a third party software to do that.

It can read them, but the cues appear 26ms after when they should. I think this is because the mp3 decoder Serato uses wrongly treats the Zero LAME CRC and/or LAVC/LAVF tag mp3 frames as music when they are present, so the offsets for the cues are 26ms too late. Same presumably happens with Traktor. (Although something is amiss with my understanding as I had this same problem moving from Traktor to Serato.). Unfortunately neither vendor are under any obligation to address this, as they make no claim of cross-compability, and it would create backwards compatibility issues for their users' libraries. For VDJ users it would just mean their views of their other libraries suddenly work.

I'll have a play with quarter beat quantizing. shift_all_cues is also interesting - could add it to my load. Although before I do that I'd buy a month with RekordCloud.

Really nice to be on a platform where there are 4 solutions to a weird issue. I could do a fair bit on Traktor, had to abandon all hope on Serato, thanks for helping on these teething issues.

Posted Tue 06 Oct 20 @ 1:57 pm
As this is a known problem and has existed for a long time, I don't understand why Atomix can't just correct the offset when importing the Serato cue points.

Why is it left to the user to correct one track at a time? It seems very inefficient and not very user friendly.

Posted Tue 06 Oct 20 @ 2:01 pm
Props to VDJ for bothering with import at all, it's quite a commitment, although given the code to do this is public it would seem an easy win. I guess functions djs use daily get priority, stems rocks.

Posted Tue 06 Oct 20 @ 8:46 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)