Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: complete newbie trying to record

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

so i'm set up with 2 numark ndx500s and a behringer mixer. my audio settings are OUTPUTS- separate decks HARDWARE- numark ndx500 and usb soundcard no inputs. i've had two issues with recording and broadcasting. the recording one is i have no idea what i'm doing with it. when i've managed to record something it sounds like it's being recorded on a microphone despite having the record microphone option off. can anyone help?

the broadcasting one is i've been told people can hear me cueing up the next track. i'm trying to record on vdj so i can hear what they do. any help would be much appreciated since i've been trying to find help through google and youtube for days and have gotten nowhere. any guides i find either don't describe my issues or explains things in technical jargon which im useless at.

Posted Tue 25 Aug 20 @ 6:05 pm
user21468741 wrote :
people can hear me cueing up the next track

That's because you're using an external mixer setup, so the mixing is not being done by the VDJ software mixer. The standard config for broadcasting outputs audio from the VDJ mixer - which you're not using.

You need to broadcast from a loopback - basically send the master output from your external mixer back into VDJ via a cable, and set that as your broadcast source.

Posted Tue 25 Aug 20 @ 6:46 pm
groovindj wrote :
user21468741 wrote :
people can hear me cueing up the next track

That's because you're using an external mixer setup, so the mixing is not being done by the VDJ software mixer. The standard config for broadcasting outputs audio from the VDJ mixer - which you're not using.

You need to broadcast from a loopback - basically send the master output from your external mixer back into VDJ via a cable, and set that as your broadcast source.

so if i connect the mixer to the laptop through the audio jack that should stop the cueing track being heard? is there any settings i would need to change after doing this?

how do i change the broadcast source? it's not on the broadcast page and i can't find it in the options.

Posted Tue 25 Aug 20 @ 7:57 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013

Posted Wed 26 Aug 20 @ 3:42 am
user21468741 wrote :
so i'm set up with 2 numark ndx500s and a behringer mixer. my audio settings are OUTPUTS- separate decks HARDWARE- numark ndx500 and usb soundcard no inputs. i've had two issues with recording and broadcasting. the recording one is i have no idea what i'm doing with it. when i've managed to record something it sounds like it's being recorded on a microphone despite having the record microphone option off. can anyone help?

the broadcasting one is i've been told people can hear me cueing up the next track. i'm trying to record on vdj so i can hear what they do. any help would be much appreciated since i've been trying to find help through google and youtube for days and have gotten nowhere. any guides i find either don't describe my issues or explains things in technical jargon which im useless at.

You basically have the same setup as me... I use 2 Numark NDX500's and a Behringer VMX100 mixer.

You need to set a line-in option is the sound settings. Set the line-in to "record" and make sure your RCA cables are connected to the record output of your mixer. Check out this picture for the line-in setup!

Posted Wed 26 Aug 20 @ 9:26 am
Zazen Producer wrote :
user21468741 wrote :

]

You need to set the input option in the sound settings to "record". Make sure your RCA cables are connected to the record output of your mixer and into your external soundcard. Check out this picture for the input record setup!

Posted Wed 26 Aug 20 @ 11:07 am
Zazen Producer wrote :
user21468741 wrote :

You basically have the same setup as me... I use 2 Numark NDX500's and a Behringer VMX100 mixer.

You need to set a line-in option is the sound settings. Set the line-in to "record" and make sure your RCA cables are connected to the record output of your mixer. Check out this picture for the line-in setup!

so the issue seems to be my mixer isn't being recognised by the laptop or vdj. this is what i see when i hook the mixer up to the laptop

Posted Wed 26 Aug 20 @ 4:58 pm
Zazen Producer wrote :
user21468741 wrote :

so the issue seems to be my mixer isn't being recognised by the laptop or vdj. this is what i see when i hook the mixer up to the laptop

Posted Wed 26 Aug 20 @ 4:59 pm
Zazen Producer wrote :
user21468741 wrote :

Posted Wed 26 Aug 20 @ 4:59 pm
jfc i can't even work messages in this place. didn't mean to post my response that many times

i can't upload a picture either so i'll just explain where you've got

line in - line(usb sound device)

i've got

line in - realtek(R) audio(WASAP)

what the hell am i doing wrong? i've asked about this on multiple sites but no one can give an answer

Posted Wed 26 Aug 20 @ 5:07 pm
What you see in those dropdowns won't be exactly the same as someone else, unless you happen to be using the exact same equipment.

Your dropdown will list your hardware. Someone elses will list theirs.

Posted Wed 26 Aug 20 @ 5:13 pm
groovindj wrote :
What you see in those dropdowns won't be exactly the same as someone else, unless you happen to be using the exact same equipment.

Your dropdown will list your hardware. Someone elses will list theirs.

so i do that, record a little, play it back and it's recording from the mic despite me switching off the record microphone setting. i've tried it with it on, just in case, but it's still the same.

Posted Wed 26 Aug 20 @ 5:36 pm
user21468741 wrote :
it's recording from the mic

Then you've selected the wrong device in the dropdown.

user21468741 wrote :
despite me switching off the record microphone setting

That setting is for use when you have a mic routed through the VDJ mixer. If you don't, then it won't do anything.

Posted Wed 26 Aug 20 @ 5:45 pm
good to know about the mic option. but in the drop down there's one option, the one i pick. that's what i ment when i said i think maybe the issue is a setting in my laptop since it seems like it's not picking up that there's something plugged in to the jack socket that isn't headphones. is there any settings i'd need to change to fix that? i'm an amateur with computers so i have no idea about this kinda stuff.

Posted Wed 26 Aug 20 @ 5:51 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)