Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: auto-update to vdj2020 6042 broke cd-mode vertical scratch wave in-play - Page: 1
Hi

Running VDJ MultiTouch skin on a touchscreen laptop, got very comfortable with it, amazed at how easy it has become to produce something really professional-sounding with effectively no extra hardware.

All until the auto-update to b6042: firstly, a load of my settings (filters, wave colors, smart play etc) reset to defaults. OK, that's a pain in the backside, but I can cope; however the vertical scratch waveform is broken in non-vinyl mode.

In vinyl mode it scratches fine, so the interface itself is working, and it works in CD mode when paused, but when playing it just does nothing.

I've gone through every setting but can't see anything that might cause this. It's a real shame because, although the rotating turntables work fine in CD mode, the multitouch skin hides the turntables and the pitch control (with the nudge buttons) when you change to FX, so I tend to show the FX screens and use the vertical waveforms for any nudges.

Is this a bug or a setting I've missed?

Thanks!

Edit: I should add that the horizontal scratchwave still works for nudging in CD mode but (because of its size) it's not really usable.

Posted Sat 08 Aug 20 @ 10:10 am
When you say the scratch wave is "broken", do you mean you can't grab it and scratch with it (you're not saying that it's missing)?

Posted Sat 08 Aug 20 @ 10:50 am
> When you say the scratch wave is "broken", do you mean you can't grab it and scratch with it (you're not saying that it's missing)?

The vertical scratchwave is working as normal except while the track is playing in CD mode. I can scratch with it in vinyl mode, I can seek with it when paused. I just can't use it to nudge with vinyl mode turned off.

For what it's worth, I realise that my post title is incorrect - it has of course updated itself to vdj2021, not 2020.

Posted Sat 08 Aug 20 @ 11:48 am
You could've just said yes. :-)

OK so was it behaving differently in the version of VDJ you were running before the update (and which version was that)?

Posted Sat 08 Aug 20 @ 11:59 am
> (and which version was that)

I assume it was the last 2020 version - 5874 - since the upgrade from 2020-2021 is probably what changed all my UI settings too. Certainly if I download the 32-bit version which is 5874 and run it it works fine.

Posted Sat 08 Aug 20 @ 12:06 pm
Confirmed. Vertical scratch wave can be used to nudge in CD mode on 32 bit (even latest build), but not 64 bit.

Posted Sat 08 Aug 20 @ 12:17 pm
> Confirmed. Vertical scratch wave can be used to nudge in CD mode on 32 bit 5874, but not in new build.

In a vague attempt to be helpful I downloaded older versions and this reversion is present in all 2021 builds back to and including 5918.

Posted Sat 08 Aug 20 @ 12:27 pm
(i've raised this via the "contact us" section in the help pages, fwiw)

Posted Sat 08 Aug 20 @ 1:07 pm
Over a year since I reported this to support, and no change. Not even the courtesy of an acknowledgement from them. I guess "free" has limitations after all.

Posted Fri 29 Oct 21 @ 1:18 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Correct, the default behavior in vdj2021 is scratch for the vertical waveform and nudge for the horizontal waveform.
Will add an option for skins to customize this in case they are missing vertical waveforms for example.

Posted Fri 29 Oct 21 @ 1:30 pm
Thanks for the reply.

So it's an intentional change? If so, it seems to be only half-implemented, because as far as I can see a vertical scratchwave scratches in vinyl mode, but doesn't do anything at all in nudge mode.

If you do add a mode config modifier for the scratchwave, could you add a variable to allow the previous behaviour, so the skin can allow the scratchwave to follow the vinyl_mode setting of the deck? Maybe a get_vinyl_active value or something? So eg

<scratchwave orientation="vertical" mode="get_vinyl_active ? scratch : nudge">

Posted Fri 29 Oct 21 @ 3:47 pm
Scratches all the time here.
Yes, skins will be able to choose scratch, nudge or follow vinylmode setting.

Posted Fri 29 Oct 21 @ 4:11 pm
Really? Odd. Ever since first release of vdj2021 the scratchwave has only worked when vinyl mode was enabled. What skin are you using?

Posted Sun 31 Oct 21 @ 12:01 pm

Posted Sun 31 Oct 21 @ 12:04 pm
And it works while the deck is playing? For me, it only works while the track is stopped.

Posted Mon 01 Nov 21 @ 9:48 am
Tried the b6739 build and added nudge="yes" to all the vertical scratchwaves in the multitouch skin and still I can't nudge the playing track using them :(

Posted Thu 04 Nov 21 @ 2:58 pm
Can you show the complete definition of the scratch wave you used?

Posted Thu 04 Nov 21 @ 3:48 pm
OK, I added it to the "Pro" default skin too, and still won't let me nudge while playing. Here's the definition anyway, but it's just the default skin with the nudge param added.

<scratchwave deck="1" orientation="vertical" color="scratch1" color2="scratch2" nudge="yes">
<pos x="+20" y="+2"/>
<size width="135-40" height="210-4+130" condition="var_equal '@$4mixer' 0 && var_not_equal '@$4decks' 0"/>
<size width="135-40" height="210-4"/>
<grid pos="-19" background="no" backgroundshaded="no" height="8" size="1" mainsize="4" maincolor="deckcolor" color="darkgray" mirrored="true"/>
<gridlines width="1" color="darkgray" transparency="0.5"/>
<cue y="-19" height="12">
<mask x="307" y="5" width="12" height="12"/>
</cue>
<overlay>
<pos x="-20" y="+105+65" condition="var_equal '@$4mixer' 0 && var_not_equal '@$4decks' 0"/>
<pos x="-20" y="+105"/>
<size width="135" height="1"/>
<background color="needle" shape="square"/>
</overlay>
</scratchwave>

Posted Thu 04 Nov 21 @ 4:14 pm
Not wishing to harp on about this, but it's still not working in the latest early-release version...

Posted Wed 08 Dec 21 @ 2:40 pm
@defgeoff
"The vertical scratchwave is working as normal except while the track is playing in CD mode. I can scratch with it in vinyl mode, I can seek with it when paused. I just can't use it to nudge with vinyl mode turned off."

It's correct.
Same here.
Try it once with the mouse on the jog.
There it goes with nudging.

Posted Wed 08 Dec 21 @ 8:37 pm
83%