Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Missing Files - iTunes Songs Renamed - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

So, in Rekordbox I import music into the collection. Regardless of what I name my music in iTines it remains connected. I have just discovered VDJ is now not linked to my music because I retagged my library to include key before song title. This is so bad. Why? Oh man... Also, there's no auto-relocate? Help lol

Posted Sat 01 Aug 20 @ 7:45 am
I also notice some music in iTunes is not even appearing in the iTunes folder. :(

Posted Sat 01 Aug 20 @ 7:57 am
user22381562 wrote :
This is so bad. Why?

Why? Because you changed something (outside of VDJ) after you added those tracks to the VDJ database.

If you make changes, either do it before adding the tracks to VDJ, or do it via VDJ.

You'd have the same issue with any software that uses a database. If you tell the DB the name and location of something, you can't change the name or location and expect the database to know what you've done - unless you use the database to make the changes.

Example - keys. If you always put your keys in a certain place, and your partner knows where that place is, if you then decide to change that place without telling your partner, how can they find the keys? You haven't updated the database (told your partner where the new place is).

Posted Sat 01 Aug 20 @ 8:15 am
I understand why it happened. But I don't understand why it was designed this way e.g. to reference the file in iTunes. Rekordbox requires me to import music into the collection from iTunes. It keeps it separate. I just checked Rekordbox and all my music is intact as it should be. Anyhow, this sucked. Will be reanalyzing my collection I suppose.

Posted Sat 01 Aug 20 @ 8:24 am
Also, why is VDJ missing some music that's in iTunes? That's just unexpected behavior as well.

Posted Sat 01 Aug 20 @ 8:25 am
I have to say, it's a bit stressful. having trying to figure out how to get VDJ to work with they key in the title... I have a stream tomorrow night and everything feels uncertain. I wonder if this messed up all my sound switch files as well.

Posted Sat 01 Aug 20 @ 8:38 am
For what it's worth, for whoever reads this...
VDJ is now now including the missing music in the itunes folder. It MAY have had something to do with the files being uploaded to iCloud. once they were uploaded, VDJ then made them available.

Posted Sat 01 Aug 20 @ 9:04 am
So you weren't using the VDJ database - just accessing the iTunes database through the VDJ browser? That's an iTunes issue then, not the VDJ database.

Why are you involving iTunes and Rekordbox on top of VDJ?

The best way to use VDJ is on its own. When you start bringing other databases into it, that's when things can easily fall apart.

Posted Sat 01 Aug 20 @ 9:15 am
Nope. Still missing music. Why? Rekordbox user for so many years and never had this problem.

I use Apple Music because... I have a MBP, an iPhone, Apple TV, etc... so it's super easy to have my music everywhere. VDJ should not require me to change my habit to adopt VDJ. The problem is, VDJ is displaying some songs from Apple Music and not other songs. Why? How can I trust VDJ if I am discovering missing songs?

Posted Sat 01 Aug 20 @ 9:28 am
I just want to have all the music, that I can see and play within Apple Music to be available within VDJ. I don't care what db it is. I just want to know how to make it work.

Posted Sat 01 Aug 20 @ 9:29 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
VirtualDJ can only play the songs that you actually bought on the iTunes store, or have physically on your computer and imported in iTunes.
Music from the Apple Music subscription service can not be used outside of Apple Music/iTunes.
You'll have to complain with Apple for not making this available in other software...

Posted Sat 01 Aug 20 @ 9:32 am
There is no iTunes anymore. The app is called Music. All my music is purchased.

Posted Sat 01 Aug 20 @ 9:33 am
Both Serato and Rekordbox see these missing songs. I have to believe it's an issue with how VDJ is operating. Does anyone know how I can get VDJ to see these songs?

Posted Sat 01 Aug 20 @ 9:38 am
user22381562 wrote :
There is no iTunes anymore

Yes there is. I have it installed on all my PCs, and it still regularly updates.

The name change is on Macs. You didn't say you were using a Mac. You also used the word iTunes in the thread title and your posts (until 15 mins ago).

We can only respond to what we see on the screen. If you say iTunes, we assume that's what you're using.

Posted Sat 01 Aug 20 @ 9:41 am
Fair.

Same problem. Serato and Rekordbox see and play the songs that VDJ is missing.
I'm trying to find each song one by one, then find where it exists in OS X. Drag it onto VDJ.
This doesn't seem efficient.

Posted Sat 01 Aug 20 @ 9:46 am
Just FYI, I use an Apple MacBook Touchbar Pro and last Saturday morning I bought a full album through Apple Music. I spent a full day trying to get it into VirtualDJ to be able to use it in the software. I could show the tunes in the browser with the iTunes folder selection, but, Titles only preceded by the number and no Artist information or cover art. I don't know if it would be any different buying the individual tracks, I wasn't going to waste my time trying to find out (it would be much more expensive that way too). After many hours tearing my hair out trying, searching various forums for answers, I gave up in the end and claimed my money back.

I can buy exactly the same album on Amazon (and other places) without all the hassle. I'm not a fan of iTunes or Apple Music, life's too short, it's not worth the grief.

Posted Sat 01 Aug 20 @ 2:59 pm
djles.co.uk wrote :
Titles only preceded by the number and no Artist information or cover art

Did you look at the tags?

Posted Sat 01 Aug 20 @ 3:02 pm
Yep, no joy.

Posted Sat 01 Aug 20 @ 3:22 pm
So, as a consumer of music who purchases his music on Beatport and brings it into the Music app for general listening enjoyment. How do NOT use it with VDJ? What are the best practices for VDJ? Am I suppose to duplicate my AIFF music library? I'm kind of confused as to what a real solution is here. I simply can't just NOT use the Music app. It's not realistic.

Posted Sun 02 Aug 20 @ 8:13 pm
You can import music directly into VDJ. You don't have to access it via the iTunes folder in the VDJ file browser.

Posted Sun 02 Aug 20 @ 8:37 pm
83%