Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Stem mapping question - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I want to create a custom button that turns on the mathengine, process the track that's loaded on a deck, save the analysis, then turn off the mathengine. It will be a button assigned to each deck.

Posted Wed 15 Jul 20 @ 10:19 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
there is no script way to save analysis yet, and no way to know if .vdjstem file exists already and no script way to force analysis yet

for now things like this can do the job....but needs to set a "timeout" loop to allow the stems to create fully (here 36000ms, need to adjust )

setting mathEngine Disabled & setting precomputeStems "Always create" & setting mathEngine Automatic & unload & undo_load & repeat_start stemwait 36000ms 1 & setting precomputeStems "Only use precomputed" & setting mathEngine Disabled

button hilights when done

WARNING: ".vdjstems" files can load in VDJ decks (first stem only loaded) and this button will create ".vdjstems.vdjstems" file for it

Posted Wed 15 Jul 20 @ 11:12 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Why do you want to turn on/off the mathEngine?
Wouldn't it be easier to just set it to only use precomputed then?

Posted Thu 16 Jul 20 @ 7:44 am
Nicotux wrote :
vdjstems files can load in VDJ decks

I wonder if one day it will be possible for VDJ to open each of the separate stems on different decks. That way each stem could have different FX and EQ applied.

Perhaps have mini "stem decks" (a la Remix Decks) underneath each main deck...

Posted Thu 16 Jul 20 @ 7:49 am
That's exactly what I asked for... some days ago ;-}
It would be fine with any other tracks with more than 2 channels as well (i.e. multi language tracks or karaoke with lyrics/chorus/instru)
(asked for many times since years ^^)

Note: using skin with 6 tracks in sync and different stem enable by deck gives horrible result ^^
sounds really bad for now :(

Posted Thu 16 Jul 20 @ 8:02 am
@Adion
Turn the mathEngine on/off gives different waveform display
it also allow to workaround the leak of script verb to manualy create stems using scripts

Posted Thu 16 Jul 20 @ 8:06 am
Nicotux wrote :
the leak of script verb

"the lack of script verb" :-)

Posted Thu 16 Jul 20 @ 8:11 am
ok ... (my poor level in english ^^)

Posted Thu 16 Jul 20 @ 8:16 am
Adion wrote :
Why do you want to turn on/off the mathEngine?
Wouldn't it be easier to just set it to only use precomputed then?

I've been in the mix thought of a transition but the track wasnt precomputed. If I could have computed it while it was on the deck would have been able to do the idea. Guess just a work flow thing.

Posted Thu 16 Jul 20 @ 2:36 pm
Djratedxxx919 wrote :
If I could have computed it while it was on the deck

You can. Turn on the mathengine and the loaded track(s) get computed.

Posted Thu 16 Jul 20 @ 2:42 pm
Djratedxxx919 wrote :

I've been in the mix thought of a transition but the track wasnt precomputed.

As mentioned, can turn on mathEngine, THEN load to deck.

Alternatively, and perhaps even better. Just right-click the song and choose "precompute". (takes a few seconds).
And load to deck when done . Guessing you have a slower computer, since you ask about this, doing it from the browser would be perfectly safe.
(this workflow you just keep the mathEngine on at all time, and set precompute in settings to "only use precomputed)

Posted Thu 16 Jul 20 @ 3:04 pm
Rune (dj-in-norway) wrote :

As mentioned, can turn on mathEngine, THEN load to deck.

That's not what I said. A track that's loaded gets analysed when mathengine is turned on (I tried before posting). No need to turn it on before loading.

Posted Thu 16 Jul 20 @ 3:29 pm
Duh! obviously it was meant IF he had mathengine turned OFF ;-)

Posted Thu 16 Jul 20 @ 3:34 pm
Clearly a language barrier here....

I'm saying that if mathengine is off, he can turn it on - at which point the track in the deck will get analysed.

I didn't say to turn it on, then load the track. You misquoted me.

Turning it on will analyse any tracks that are already loaded. No need to turn it on then load afterwards.

Posted Thu 16 Jul 20 @ 3:39 pm
groovindj wrote :
Clearly a language barrier here....

I'm saying that if mathengine is off, he can turn it on - at which point the track in the deck will get analysed.

I didn't say to turn it on, then load the track. You misquoted me.

Turning it on will analyse any tracks that are already loaded. No need to turn it on then load afterwards.

So does it compute both decks, if so can I make it just compute per deck.
Either way what's the on off script.

For those that don't understand me...
I'm a hip-hop dj and nothing is planned somethings show themselves as you go. So this is just a on the fly workflow.

Posted Thu 16 Jul 20 @ 3:54 pm
Why the main and deck waveforms change when the engine is on or off still baffles me.

Still waiting for an answer on this on the other thread about it.

Posted Thu 16 Jul 20 @ 4:09 pm

Posted Thu 16 Jul 20 @ 4:34 pm
You have already been told (in the other thread) that the "old rhythm" wave should always have only shown the beats. (You may disagree but that's what we've all been told).
But the old engine (pre-stems) couldn't compute this, so that's why the waveform looked the way it did.

You've also been told its being looked at by Adion.

To answer the question as to why the old wave shows and then changes to the new one when the track loads:
(assuming you have the mathEngine enabled)
Depending on the speed of your machine the track loads normally first (so you can play it immediately, as before) - this is when you see the "old style" wave
As soon as the stems separation process starts (usually almost instant) the beats wave will them be shown.

I'm not saying the old wave shouldn't come back (it's not down to me). I'm just explaining the why's.

Posted Thu 16 Jul 20 @ 4:40 pm
now that virtualdj separates songs into stems, i think set up right separated stems assigned to stuff in vj parameters in an apps like resolume could be hella neato

when djing i would like to load and play tracks on decks 1-4
and have decks 5-9 play deck 1 stems, 10-14 play deck 2 stems, 15-19 play deck 3 stems & 20-24 play deck 4 stems.

ie
when i play a song on deck 1
vocals is solo'd on deck 5 and plays in sync with deck 1> then sent to individual out on virtual audio output or hardware audio output for processing in vj app
Instru is solo'd on deck 6 and plays in sync with deck 1 > " "
Bass is solo'd on deck 7 and plays in sync with deck 1 > " "
Kick is solo'd on deck 8 and plays in sync with deck 1 > " "
Hihat is solo'd on deck 9 and plays in sync with deck 1 > " "

i think this could be accomplished by smart audio routing & midi mapping in virtualdj & having all individual stems sent to ableton
then the use of something like oscbuddy by tom cosm to handle the audiofft to osc/midi

i wish there was a more cohesive denon stagelinq/virtualdj/stems resolume, plugin type deal that'd be so rad.

i think that this feature in conjunction with virtualdj's POI(cue point) to midi could allow new and better dj/vj possibility's with visual compositions in league with stuff like BIRDMASK Visuals with lots of individual layered parts and complexities especially with generative visual compositions

(generative visuals in resolume)
herehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELVeUZcUNyk

(birdmask visuals)
https://vimeo.com/50071433

(osc buddy - tom cosm)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASPzjJ5OYoU

Posted Thu 27 Aug 20 @ 4:26 am

Posted Thu 27 Aug 20 @ 5:01 am
91%