Forum: General Discussion

About VirtualDJ and DJing in general

If you need extended support, contact our Support Team.
Forum Guidelines  (*) The moderators hold the rights to remove, move or modify posts.
Topic: Why does everyone choose serato anyway? - Page: 1
WHY? than best ?

Posted Tue 12 May 20 @ 8:40 am
for years serato used to come bundled with a lot of dj gear, so people just used that instead of trying out other software (maybe?).

Posted Tue 12 May 20 @ 11:14 am
Yes, you usually get it for free
But their marked share has come down quite a bit in the last few years
This is from Digital DJ Tips' survey earlier this year:
(I think Serato's share is a lot lower in Nothern Europe where I live. There are a lot of VDJ and and RekordBox DJ users here - even quite a few still using Traktor)

Posted Tue 12 May 20 @ 11:48 am
I think I commented on those results when they were posted. To me the top results are just reflecting which software came in the box with their controller.

Exclude those and VDJ comes out on top, as (these days at least) it doesn't get bundled as much as the others.

If they did another graph titled "what dj software came bundled with your controller" I think it would look very similar :-)

Posted Tue 12 May 20 @ 6:07 pm
Rick no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. Just keep it moving, these aren't the droids you're looking for.

Posted Wed 13 May 20 @ 4:53 am
Doesn't matter if you're using a really crap Toshiba laptop with a really plasticky Numark controller. As long as you got Serato you're the coolest DJ out there.

Posted Wed 13 May 20 @ 6:21 am
I feel people are just used to Serato since they became popular with DVS early on. I purposely waited for a long time even though I tried one of the earliest versions of Automix (the purple and yellow interface with the magic wand in late 98 or later days). I liked Rane Mixers and how it looked back in the early 00s, but I wasn't convinced that was the best software and I didn't like their expensive box that wouldn't be backward compatible with their programming evolution.

I really felt VirtualDJ was going to be the software of choice and I'm glad that I've waited. I've tried more than a few of the biggest names and there's just so much missing from all of them. VDJ2020 gives you more control over every setting and perhaps Serato people don't need that, they just need 2 decks, 2 turntables, 8 cue points, video, with some FX with a clean dark layout. Maybe it depends on their venue and genre or their preference for the Rane brand-name.

At every Hip Hop club booth that I've ever been invited into, it was always Serato and I didn't see Traktor or VirtualDJ. On the other hand, at most outdoor parties, picnics, weddings, corporate events it was usually VirtualDJ that DJs were using. People wanted to see their laptop screen to see which software it was so they can compare audio quality over loudspeakers and subs. VDJ7 was huge and now VDJ8 2020's really taking off. I'm sure VirtualDJ was always the most popular for home use, but now it's gained a bigger following.

I'm happy to see big famous DJs using VDJ2020. It takes someone who wants to explore what VDJ has to offer and can handle new changes.

Posted Wed 13 May 20 @ 6:32 am
because the product name sounds childish.

cheap name, not solid

Posted Fri 15 May 20 @ 1:35 pm
Virtual DJ or Serato?

Posted Fri 15 May 20 @ 5:26 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
Because whatever you say VDJ is not so solid when used (only solid when used as a display)
other ones are not more solid but have hyper basic windows placements and size and focus, lift bars, text entry, textbox focus and display, dialog boxes placement and error messages working as expected
VDJ fails with all of these basic stuffs

it's just my opinion.. it is what it is and no more :/

Serato in french "sert à tout" stands for "can be used for everything"
or "sera tout" stands for "will be everything'

and some DJ don't want to appear as virtual ... better wana be real DJs

Posted Fri 15 May 20 @ 7:30 pm
sorry Nico.. I can't hear you over the crowd... say that again?

Posted Fri 15 May 20 @ 9:50 pm
Nicotux wrote :
Because whatever you say VDJ is not so solid when used (only solid when used as a display)
other ones are not more solid but have hyper basic windows placements and size and focus, lift bars, text entry, textbox focus and display, dialog boxes placement and error messages working as expected
VDJ fails with all of these basic stuffs

it's just my opinion.. it is what it is and no more :/

Serato in french "sert à tout" stands for "can be used for everything"
or "sera tout" stands for "will be everything'

and some DJ don't want to appear as virtual ... better wana be real DJs

For someone who spends so much time on these forums this response surprised me.

And VDJ has been more than stable for me for many many years. The only issues I've had is when I'm deliberately doing things that no one in their right mind would be doing all at the same time. (I know John does the same).

Where I come from Serato doesn't stand for that ;)
And I do own Serato, Reckordbox etc etc.

Posted Fri 15 May 20 @ 10:12 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
Not so strange, just wanna tell what is discouraging people i know :
1) The well known issue reported for a long time "nothing work as usual within VDJ"
i.e.: (just one) up and down arrows to slide lists ( this one came back ... in one of the latest version)
but page up/down by clicking upper/under the postion box is not... and this only apply to browser not editors with listboxes

2) stable VDJ ? I write while a crashguard raise... 3 tags and a cover et bam! session 47s
well as a simple display for a controller and database query only everything looks fine
(most video engine and skin engine crashes are handled, window positions and status and parameters all missing...)

took time to send due to BSOD ^^ module in error: virtualdj.exe virtualdj_audio.sys
next... WIN10 updates, Browsers updates...

Posted Sat 16 May 20 @ 4:31 am
People, you know? How many people? They can't speak for themselves? This forum is open to everyone, they don't need a spokesman to air their problems. How about you speak for yourself? I can only speak for myself. I'm not forced to use this software. I use this software because it works for me. If I have a problem, I come here and get help. My advice for everyone is to use the software that works best for them. If this software does "not work for you, find one that does". It really is that simple. This way, you and the "people you know" won't be discouraged.

There are a lot of guys here that I know, are extremely happy with this software, and used it professionally for years. DJing has been my only income since 1987. Like most DJs, I have had no income since late March. A lot of guys are here all of the time, helping people that want to be helped, even though times are hard. So, you can cry about your issues, or you can ask for help, the choice is yours. Oh, and not everyone chooses to use Serato, as evident in this forum.

Posted Sun 17 May 20 @ 6:31 am
metrixPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Serato DJ is Optimiz and Fosused for Mac and VDJ for Windows
but for me is the winner VDJ only Audio Effects are in Serato DJ better

Posted Sun 17 May 20 @ 3:59 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
A non-licensed user, telling those of us that have been using the software, with zero issues for over a decade, what is wrong with the software, is a sublime bit of humor....

Posted Sun 17 May 20 @ 3:59 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Bait thread smells like bait.
Why should I care what anyone else uses?

Posted Sun 17 May 20 @ 4:15 pm
Groovin, I did the same thing. I started and said, let's see what he has to say. But then I just couldn't anymore. I'm trying to reach my birthday next month, and one day I may need that extra 10 min. I could see myself saying to the Reaper, "Hold it I just need 10 more minutes", and he says "you shouldn't have read that post".

Posted Mon 18 May 20 @ 7:11 pm
BernieMeenan wrote :
Hello all... I don't normally post in forums, social media, anything really... but as a new "virtual" DJ-ish kinda person (engineer by trade), I had to respond to this. Warning - it's 4:20 am here and I couldn't sleep...

Hmm. I just dropped $299 on the PRO INFINITY and plan to try and use it with an APC40 MKII. Am interested in customizing the map for that controller (e.g. want to map the volumes of decks 1 + 2 to the faders on the right).

Then I read this. Very interesting.

Posted Tue 19 May 20 @ 7:54 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
locodog wrote :
Bait thread smells like bait.
Why should I care what anyone else uses?

You shouldn't it, Loco. That is called ""being a grown up" and "making your own decisions". All the kids are doing it now. It's the greatest!

I really hate to do this but, Austin Powers did say it very well.

https://youtu.be/15WbASLQLrg?t=45

Posted Tue 19 May 20 @ 3:17 pm
Page : [>] [>>]
80%