Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: MacBook freezes after few hours of working with video and with the Pioneer DJ-400 controller

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello.

My setup: Macbook Pro 2015 13"
Intel Core I5 2,7 GHz, 8 Gb Ram, Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 МБ
Mac OS - Mojave 10.14.6
DJ Controller - Pioneer DDJ-400

The problem appeared in early December 2019.
After few hours of work while playing a video or footage through a virtual DJ, my Macbook freezes.
With any cable - HDMI or VGA
Only a full reboot helps. After a few hours, the situation may recur.

Without video and without a connected video cable - the VirtualDJ and the MacBook work fine.

I started checking the problem:
1. I reinstalled the system - it did not help.
2. I sent my MacBook to the service - MacBook is OK.
3. I updated the controller firmware - it did not help.
4. I started Virtual DJ without a controller Pioneer DDJ-400. After 6 hours of testing - the MacBook did not freeze.

Is there really a problem in the controller? Until December 2019, there was no such problem. Everything worked perfectly.
Perhaps you have been informed of this or a similar problem. What could be the reason for freezing?

Posted Sat 28 Mar 20 @ 10:41 am
Doubt it's an issue with the controller. From what you describe I would check your graphics card drivers are up to date and that the laptop isn't overheating.

Also check something isn't putting the video port to sleep.

I have a Macbook Pro but run Windows on it so can't help with MacOS. Sorry.

Posted Sat 28 Mar 20 @ 11:57 am
In MacBook integrated video card - Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 МБ
Drivers are built into the operating system.
The laptop does not overheat.

How to check the video port for sleep mode?

Posted Sat 28 Mar 20 @ 1:50 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Can you try the following:
-Download early access build 5619 from https://www.virtualdj.com/download/build.html
-Go to options and enable experimentalUseMetal
-Restart VirtualDJ

This will use Metal instead of OpenGL for video and interface. It is still in development so not all VirtualDJ features may work yet, but it could be a good test to see if this is related to the problem.

Posted Sat 28 Mar 20 @ 1:57 pm
Can this version be installed on top of the old version?

Posted Sun 29 Mar 20 @ 7:57 am
Yes

Posted Sun 29 Mar 20 @ 8:31 am
"-Go to options and enable experimentalUseMetal"

I can not find where to choose the setting :(

I want to say that playing a video through a quick time or another program the laptop does not freeze.

Posted Mon 30 Mar 20 @ 4:05 pm
Adion wrote :
-Download early access build 5619 from https://www.virtualdj.com/download/build.html
-Restart VirtualDJ

This will use Metal instead of OpenGL for video and interface. It is still in development so not all VirtualDJ features may work yet, but it could be a good test to see if this is related to the problem.

"-Go to options and enable experimentalUseMetal"

I can not find where to choose the setting :(

I want to say that playing a video through a quick time or another program the laptop does not freeze.

Posted Fri 03 Apr 20 @ 1:27 pm
Did you type it in the search box?

Posted Fri 03 Apr 20 @ 2:38 pm
I know you said the laptop is not overheating, just to double check run a program called smc fan control, it will give you temp of processor and video processor and allow you to speed up the fan. I run a macbook pro and whenever I run video I turn the fan speed up just to be safe

I sometimes run my mac on the windows side and use a program called Lubbos speed control.

My mac runs way warmer on the windows side than on the mac side

Posted Fri 03 Apr 20 @ 3:41 pm
Adion wrote :
-Restart VirtualDJ

Hello.
I did as described above. But the problem did not disappear :(
after about 3.5 hours, the MacBook crashed.

Posted Thu 28 May 20 @ 4:28 pm
is the mac crashing or is the controller locking up just asking because I'm having an issue where my DJ 808 made by Roland is locking up after about an hour into the gig. Roland says that is an issue with their controller I'm working on a fixed now but now I wonder if it's actually something in the software

Posted Tue 09 Jun 20 @ 6:23 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)