Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Where does VDJ Store Settings and Library settings on a Mac

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Where does VDJ Store Settings and Library settings on a Mac? My Mac kicked it and on a replacement, Where does VDJ Store Settings and Library settings on a Mac. I want to move all my Settings, Library arrangement and settings, and my custom mapping onto a new system so its ready to go.
Thanks!!

Posted Sun 22 Mar 20 @ 1:34 am
/documents/virtualdj/

This is same both for Mac and Windows.

More in depth here:
https://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/How-to-Transfer-To-A-New-Computer.html

That is if you are using the internal drive on your computer for music storage.
If you use external drive, the database (and "playlist" (virtual) folders etc) - are stored on the external drive itself. In the folder called "VirtualDJ" at that drive (and can connect to any computer, and have database, and folders instantly available, no need to do anything :))

Posted Sun 22 Mar 20 @ 1:41 am
My music is on an External, so my library with my Filter folders and such will move with the hard drive?
Also that Documents section will hold the Settings and my mapping?

Rune (dj-in-norway) wrote :
/documents/virtualdj/

This is same both for Mac and Windows.

More in depth here:
https://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/How-to-Transfer-To-A-New-Computer.html

That is if you are using the internal drive on your computer for music storage.
If you use external drive, the database (and "playlist" (virtual) folders etc) - are stored on the external drive itself. In the folder called "VirtualDJ" at that drive
(and such a drive can connect to any computer in the world, and have database, and folders instantly available, no need to do anything :))

Posted Sun 22 Mar 20 @ 1:46 am
Also that link is showing paths for Windows, Im on a Mac

Posted Sun 22 Mar 20 @ 2:05 am
DJ Andrew Ryan wrote :
Also that link is showing paths for Windows, Im on a Mac

They are the same .. /documents/virtualdj/ (under the user account)
Its not much different between mac and windows in a lot of regards ;-)

Posted Sun 22 Mar 20 @ 2:07 am
DJ Andrew Ryan wrote :
My music is on an External, so my library with my Filter folders and such will move with the hard drive?
Also that Documents section will hold the Settings and my mapping?

If your music is on external, the database and the library folders (virtual folders, or playlist folders) exists on the external drive already.
And this drive can just be connected to your new computer - instantly having your database,. music and folders available ..
The external drive is considered "global" and can be used by any user, any computer.

--

Whats considered "for local user", is your regular playlists, filter folders, downloaded add-ons/plugins/skins, custom mappers if you did any, and history log files. These all exists in the local user account on the computer, at the /documents/virtualdj/ folder. If you want to transfer this to a new computer, you can simply copy this whole folder to same location at new computer (aka, /documents/virtualdj/ at user account at new computer)

Posted Sun 22 Mar 20 @ 2:12 am
A HUGE help.. thanks!

Posted Sun 22 Mar 20 @ 2:14 am
If you dont want to copy everyting from "local user" (located at /documents/virtualdj) from one computer to next, then you can cherry pick.
For example /documents/virtualdj/folders/ is the place where filter folders are located.
And additionally you might want to keep /documents/virtualdj/playlists/ and /documents/virtualdj/history/

But, probably much easier to just copy over the whole VirtualDJ folder over :) so you get everything .. samples, pads, addons, etc etc ;-)

Posted Sun 22 Mar 20 @ 2:17 am
Yeah I want it all :) All my settings that I have changed in the program settings, my histories ...everything
Rune (dj-in-norway) wrote :
If you dont want to copy everyting from "local user" (located at /documents/virtualdj) from one computer to next, then you can cherry pick.
For example /documents/virtualdj/folders/ is the place where filter folders are located.
And additionally you might want to keep /documents/virtualdj/playlists/ and /documents/virtualdj/history/

But, probably much easier to just copy over the whole VirtualDJ folder over :) so you get everything .. samples, pads, addons, etc etc ;-)

Posted Sun 22 Mar 20 @ 2:27 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)