Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Video create link on drop in VDJ2020 - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hi All.
I am obviously missing something, but I can't work out to use Video create link on drop in the new version.
It's enabled in the settings, but I can't work out how to use it.
Could someone point me in the right direction please?

Posted Tue 24 Sep 19 @ 8:04 pm

Posted Tue 24 Sep 19 @ 8:07 pm
Yes, it's very good, but I can't find anything in there about the Video create link on drop feature. This is the bit that lets you play a different video to the dafault one that's playing sinply by dropping it on the video window of the one that's playing.
I can't see that mentioned in the manual at all. If you could point me to the page or even area it's explained it would be very helpful, thank you.

* Edit * The only option I get when dragging and dropping a video onto the playing video or audio is to load it on the deck, not link it to replace the default video for that song.

Posted Tue 24 Sep 19 @ 8:19 pm
** Solved - sort of. **
It looks like it's a skins issue.
If you switch back to the VDJ 8 skin it still works as expected.
However it doesn't work in any of the new skins.
So, looks like I am staying with the tried and tested VDJ 8 interface until the issue is fixed.

Posted Tue 24 Sep 19 @ 8:39 pm

Its not part of the new interface...
Honestly thought that was something very few, if any at all, used..
(plus the videos are on deck, and that used to drop to load new song)

We might add something for it in incremental update..

For now, you can use the video editor.

Right-click song => video editor => add video

Posted Tue 24 Sep 19 @ 8:49 pm

Or if you are intending to "overlay" a different video, drop to sampler slot, and play.. (video will show this instead then)

Posted Tue 24 Sep 19 @ 8:51 pm
I see the video windows in 2020 have linkdrop="false" in the code. The old skin doesn't have that. I suspect if you remove that, it'll work as before.

Posted Tue 24 Sep 19 @ 8:54 pm
groovindj wrote :
I see the video windows in 2020 have linkdrop="false" in the code. The old skin doesn't have that. I suspect if you remove that, it'll work as before.

True, but not something we'd want 100.000s of users to do..
Since the video previews are on deck obviously, and you drag song to deck to LOAD, not to link .. ;-)

We're looking into making this feature better other ways

Posted Tue 24 Sep 19 @ 9:10 pm
Surely that's why the setting videoCreateLinkOnDrop exists?

Presumably this is set to 'no' by default. Therefore, if the user sets it to 'yes' then he expects it to work - not be disabled by the skin code.

Posted Tue 24 Sep 19 @ 9:14 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
The default was true, because previously the video previews were separate from the decks.
Since the video previews are now on the decks where you expect to load a new track, we will look for a different place to add this feature. (With the video editor probably being the most logical place)

Posted Tue 24 Sep 19 @ 9:30 pm
What about a button near the deck screen that turns link dropping on? When clicked, you could have some kind of obvious indication on the skin that it's in drop mode.

The user then drops the file, gets feedback that it's linked, then the option turns itself off again.

Posted Sun 29 Sep 19 @ 8:04 pm
Rune (dj-in-norway) wrote :
groovindj wrote :

True, but not something we'd want 100.000s of users to do..
Since the video previews are on deck obviously, and you drag song to deck to LOAD, not to link .. ;-)

We're looking into making this feature better other ways

So, you have removed a feature that I see every single dj i work with use, nightly. EVERY single video dj uses this feature

Posted Mon 30 Sep 19 @ 3:11 pm
I'm a video DJ and I've never used it.

Posted Mon 30 Sep 19 @ 3:41 pm
burnyabad wrote :

every single dj i work with use, nightly.

Those I know that mix video, I checked just to see.. but not a single one of them used it.
In fact, most of them didnt even know about the feature.. Which makes sense, hard to know its there, short of doing it by accident.

But that aside, curious to what you/your djs actually use it for? Playing 'ambient' videos when playing an audio-only song I suppose?

Posted Mon 30 Sep 19 @ 3:57 pm
I use this feature a lot!!

It saves me from having to download different versions of a video.
So I have let’s Rump Shaker MP4 original version but I have the MP3 intro, outro, quick hit, super quick hit.
Saves me from basically having to download 5 different videos.
Seems like a huge step back as I know I few SDJ video users who switched because of that feature....

Sooooo will we get this back??

Posted Tue 01 Oct 19 @ 1:41 am
I also use it for remixed audio that does not have a video version. I was truly surprised at how the software was able to manipulate the video to actually line up with the vocals. It wasn't perfect all the time, but was good enough, and very simple. The other video DJ in my club also uses it, and will be asking me where it is as soon as he crosses over to 2020.

Posted Tue 01 Oct 19 @ 7:37 am
Oh yes! This is a really great and literally unique feature and I'll dare to say is a must have for DJs which also are VJs. I use it every night and the lack of it, is what's preventing me to upgrade to the new version.

Please don't rip away such a great feature which no other DJ software in the world has.

I'm looking foward to this get implemented in the new version soon.

Posted Tue 01 Oct 19 @ 9:27 pm
It is still there. It's just disabled in the new 2020 skin.

Use another skin and you shouldn't have a problem.

Posted Tue 01 Oct 19 @ 9:29 pm
I also used it since I mixed and converted Videos. Add me to the list.

Posted Fri 04 Oct 19 @ 1:48 pm
I use it all the time to make instrumental videos!!!

Posted Thu 02 Jul 20 @ 4:10 pm
87%