Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Korg Kaoss DJ vs Hercules rmx2 for small gigs!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

mysticaPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Hi there, I've got a denon mc4000 controller, which is my main dj controller for everyday gigs. And now I'm in search of a travel size dj controller for small, medium size venues, boat parties etc. I've been looking online at the Korg Kaoss dj controller and Im not 100 percent sure if i should go for it. I already have a hercules rmx2 sitting at home which I don't use anymore.
Do you think its worth buying the korg kaoss controller and sell my hercules rmx 2 ? I love hercules, small and compact but my problem with it was the sound quality wasn't good enough. What should I do ? I'll appreciate if anyone can recommend any other small size controller with pretty decent sound quality and also loud enough for small to medium size venues. thanks!

Posted Sat 25 May 19 @ 8:33 am
The problem will be that any small cheap controller will have consumer grade audio quality and output level, because they're designed for home use.

One option might be to use a separate pro audio interface with a controller that doesn't have (or use) onboard audio. That way you could pick a controller based purely on size (or even have several) whilst the audio quality and level remains the same.

You could still use the controller for headphone cueing and send the master signal to the better interface.

Posted Sat 25 May 19 @ 9:36 am
To be honest I don't consider the size of MC4000 big enough to justify the need of a smaller controller for mobile events/portability.
Personally I use a Denon MC6000MK2 when I need something "portable"
If you really need something very small check out AKAI AMX & AFX as well.
But as Groovin said, perhaps it's best to aim for a dedicated professional grade sound card

Posted Sat 25 May 19 @ 9:43 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
groovindj wrote :
The problem will be that any small cheap controller will have consumer grade audio quality and output level, because they're designed for home use.

Not sure about the RMX2, but the original Hercules DJ Console used to have excellent DAC's.
Output level might be lower, but that would only be relevant if the amplifier/mixer you connect it to is pretty poor and noisy.

Posted Sat 25 May 19 @ 9:48 am
I was debating about whether to write "any" or "most" :-) but logically it's unlikely that a manufacturer will design a budget device with a high quality audio circuit.

Having said that, with technology now it's less likely to be truly terrible. More likely to be average or OK - just not superb, excellent or exceptional.

Posted Sat 25 May 19 @ 9:57 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Well, with DAC's far exceeding CD quality costing less then $1, and having tested the output of a cheap Acer laptop probably like 15 years ago to be very close to cd quality, it surprises me when someone hears the difference between controller outputs, unless there's electrical issues causing hum or ground loops or something like that.

Posted Sat 25 May 19 @ 10:18 am
Thanks for your replies guys. Could you tell me what controller you guys are using ? I've been using denon mc4000 for awhile now, think its time to upgrade. Any recommendation will be great :) something similar to my mc4000, simple and not too heavy.. I'm not bothered with having too many effects and buttons. Thanks

Posted Sat 25 May 19 @ 4:01 pm
I used the Hercules DJ console MK4 for years for smaller gigs it had asio, worked well sounded great. I now use the Akai amx small size, sounds great, usb powered Downsides, no jog wheels & I had to custom map a few buttons for my needs. Might be worth looking into

Posted Sun 26 May 19 @ 4:36 pm
djjohnnyrox wrote :
I used the Hercules DJ console MK4 for years for smaller gigs it had asio, worked well sounded great. I now use the Akai amx small size, sounds great, usb powered Downsides, no jog wheels & I had to custom map a few buttons for my needs. Might be worth looking into

Thanks! I'll look into it. Where are you based? I'm in London UK . Would love to come see you play :)

Posted Thu 30 May 19 @ 11:42 am
Anyone else based in London and would like to connect ? I'm an urban dj and also play commercial, dance music.

Posted Thu 30 May 19 @ 11:47 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)