Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Backup, backup, backup! - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi Adion, just tried the latest EA, everything is fine apart from the fact it's not backing up the settings.xml file.

Cheers

Keith

Posted Sun 03 Mar 19 @ 12:12 pm
Some ideas for the backup-feature...

I assume that the backup-feature is meant to be only for the database, since it it placed in the browser.
But if I take a look at the wishes of other users, and also as I think by myself, there should be a much more expanded capability of the backup-function, especially because Virtual DJ is such a highly customizable and complex software which files should be safe at all time.
So I think the need of a really strong backup-feature should be recognized from the development-team, because its simply one of the most important things.

So here my ideas:

1. Backup in the Options-Menu:
My ideas contain some customizable settings.
To give this all an address there should be a Backup-section in the Options-menu to access all the settings inside one single place.

2. Backup-location:
Normally a backup is needed if something went terribly wrong. The most terrible thing is a harddrive-failure.
The backup should then be somewhere else, but not on the crashed harddrive.
So I think the location should be customizable.
In my case I would choose my dropbox-folder as backup-location for example.
I think you get the idea behind it.

3. Backup-intervals:
As the most situations showed, the last manual backup was made in a time long before jesus christ was born or something. So in most cases a good consolation, but not the optimal solution.
This is where a backup-interval can do great.
(I know there has to be a process running in the background if a backup should be done during VDJ is closed - bad option.)
But an easy way would be to simply ask with a popup-dialog if the user wants to do a backup after a specified time is past or do it automatically.
For example:
+ Backup older than a week?
-> Bring the dialog or do a automatic backup

+ "Backup-Timeout" is set to "Saturdays, 2:00 AM".
-> If Virtual Dj is opend during or after this moment, bring the dialog when the user closes the program or run it automatically.

4. Maximum numbers of backups:
Give a number how much backup-zips there can be at once.
For example the number is set to 10:
Virtual DJ will do it's backups until the 10 zip-files are reached.
After that the OLDEST of this zip-files will be deleted, so that there will only remain the 10 last backups.

5. Choose which files should be saved: (additional)
Choose which files a user wants to save in the backup (choosing via tick boxes).
Choose from: settings.xml, database.xml, history, mappers, pads, skin, effects, etc

And last but not least a way to restore everything by choosing a backup-file would be great!
I hope you understand everything and also see the need of such a strong feature.
-THANKS!

Posted Mon 11 Mar 19 @ 10:06 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)