Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: HOW TO MIX SEAMLESSLY AFROBEAT OR AFRO POP SONGS

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

AM NEW AND NOT YET A PRO USER OF VIRTUAL DJ. I HAVE BEEN READING ALL THE DISCUSSION ABOUT DJING WITH THIS POWERFUL PROGRAM. THANKS TO VIRTUAL DJ TEAM.

I WANT TO BE HELPED BY ANYONE WHO MIGHT HAVE AN IDEA. I DID NOT REALLY UNDERSTAND ONE DISCUSSION ABOUT WHEN TO START MIXING THE DECK B WHEN DECK A IS PLAYING. IS IT OKAY TO RIGHT CLICK THE LOADED TRACK AND EDIT THE POI SO THAT YOU MARK ONLY THE FIRST BEAT, MIX CUT FIRST, etc?? I HAVE FOUND THIS EASY TO GET THE POWERFUL AND EXCELLENT HARMONIC MIXING.

ON THE WAVEFORM DISPLAY, THERE IS ALWAYS A VERTICAL LINE CUTTING THE WAVEFORM ON ITS MIDDLE; I HAVE BEEN ALIGNING MY FIRST BEAT BIG CBG SQUARE HERE. IS THIS CORRECT WHEN MIXING??

CAN I START PLAYING DECK B TRACK WHEN I HEAR THE BEGINNING OF THE CHORUS OF TRACK A??

Please help me. Am an african Dj based in Zambia.

Posted Mon 08 Jan 18 @ 4:09 pm
ZiglarPRO InfinityMember since 2011
1.To Answer Your first question about when to mix in deck A when Deck B is playing, i would say the styles vary,some djs would just move the crossfader quickly from B to A so that you cut out one song completely whilst the next song plays. Others would blend the two songs seamlessly and use the equalizer options to mix the songs. others also loop sections of the songs whilst blending.
Whichever style u choose there are some basic rules u need to understand and sort out.
A) u need to set accurate beatgrids in the beatgrid editor(see virtual dj tutorials from atomix on youtube)
B) u need to set up cue points at various parts of the track that are of interest to you( some djs will set their first cue point at eight or 16 beats to the chorus...for this,u can use the beat counter at the top of the vdj screen to help out)
C) Most choruses are 16 to 32 beats long and so with that in mind,if the song playing from deck B has a 16 beat chorus for example,and with the crossfader all the way on the side of deck B(smooth crossfader option),u can start playing the song from deck A as soon as the chorus on deck B begins and then move the crossfader gradually to the side of deck A(for a smooth blend).
There are soo many technicalities u need to be mindful of whilst blending(e.g bass line clashes,which keys blend well together etc etc). If u keep practicing,reading and probing u will eventually come to understand what needs to be done etc etc.

FYI.....You are not supposed to be posting in caps on the forum. Its equal to shouting and u will end up not getting any response/help

Edited: No need to quote to a post if you are the first to respond. AMAHM

Posted Mon 08 Jan 18 @ 4:49 pm
Thanks so much my dearest djs. I now get your point. Sorry I never knew that it’s not allowed to post in capital letters.

Posted Wed 07 Feb 18 @ 3:18 pm
I had a problem in counting bars of most tracks. Thanks Dj Ziglar am now able to count bars of the intro, chorus and Outro of my tracks.

Posted Wed 07 Feb 18 @ 3:21 pm
thanks

Posted Sat 17 Aug 19 @ 8:09 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)