Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: ASIO & WASAPI....What is the difference?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

ASIO & WASAPI Could someone who knows, explain what the difference is. I am using a VMS4.1 with windows 7. Having problems getting audio out from ASIO but WASAPI work just fine.

Posted Sat 16 Dec 17 @ 8:41 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
In a rough explanation, both are drivers that send the sound direct to the soundcard to reduce latency, instead of letting the o/s handle a bit of the sound processing (which adds latency)

Asio is a 3 party driver that has been around for ages but has been known not to work great in all cases, esp when windows is updated. Also some of the 3rd party coding has been seen to be not right, (I think AA and denon asio drivers a known to be hit and miss)

Wasapi (windows audio system application program interfact) is Microsoft's own version of asio, so should be less problematic.

All in all asio should be a bit more cutting edge for newer hardware but can be a problem in cases,
Wasapi not quite as fast but more likely to work just fine in most cases.

The difference is marginal to negligible. If wasapi works fine use that, if asio works fine use that, if asio causes problems and you want to use that contact the driver writer.

Posted Sat 16 Dec 17 @ 11:15 pm
Thanks for the answer, I did suspect they were essentially the same sort of thing. I asked because for some reason I dont understand my controller refuses to give any audio output with the ASIO but works fine with ASAPI. No idea of the cause as it worked fine a few weeks ago. But if ASAPI is the same I am fine.

Posted Sun 17 Dec 17 @ 2:43 pm
Hello Micky,
Were you able to figure this out. I face this issue on and off. Sometimes ASIO works fine and at times it just throws you off. If I play regular audio it does route the ASIO but have problems only when VDJ is launched. I strongly believe that this is a Virtual DJ issue and not the Controller. Please post your input.
$300.00 and you don't even have phone support - Really.
btw - I have not seen a single pro dj that uses VDJ

Posted Sat 26 May 18 @ 3:30 pm
Due to their nature ASIO drivers need exclusive access to your soundcard.
This means that Windows must NOT use the soundcard as their default playback device.
Windows tend to change the default playback device to external USB soundcards when you use different USB ports or when they perform major updates.
Therefore before launching VirtualDj (or any other application that uses ASIO drivers) make sure that Windows are not using your controller's soundcard as their default playback device.
Also connecting your controller on the same USB port will help to lower the frequency that Windows will take over the soundcard and therefore block ASIO drivers from running properly

Posted Sat 26 May 18 @ 8:23 pm
agree, been with vdj for a loong time, no reason there should not be phone tech help. used to have chat live but i don't see that as an option. i am on my 5th email with abe, as i am only getting sound thru my laptop thru the main volume out put and not the channels..was basically sent the manual which i have...improvements definitely need to be made

Posted Tue 23 Jun 20 @ 11:41 am
freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002

Posted Tue 23 Jun 20 @ 2:31 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)