Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Coming to a party near you...

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Just some Sunday reading here.

Posted Sun 23 Jul 17 @ 7:36 pm
shame is I am sure this could replace alot of DJs I know sad but true.

Posted Sun 23 Jul 17 @ 7:47 pm
Wow. There will be a lot of DJ's that will need to get a personality.

Posted Sun 23 Jul 17 @ 11:29 pm
Not available in the UK app store.

Posted Mon 24 Jul 17 @ 12:44 am
tcmacControlleristMember since 2017
Bad DJs will always be at risk (technology, economy, competition, etc) but there's nothing like a live experience, thumping speakers (that most people don't have readily available for party use) and the scratch! I just did a family pool party this weekend (a good friend) who would have played music via Pandora and Sonos had I not offered to help. I'm telling you, having a DJ (yes, me but I'm a rookie) ramped up this party substantially. And, yes, this is not a typical gig but I turned on many friends to the fun of a DJ. While this app is kinda cool, ho wants their guests messing on their phones during their party "liking" and requesting songs? I throw lots of parties. I hate seeing people on their phones. It's a total distraction. Ok...maybe 20-somethings who are glued to their phones anyway....but a wedding? big rave? backyard party?.... it still needs awesome sound. Lights. And personality. Oh and the kids (and even several adults) wanted to try scratching. Can't do that on an app. The more people were drinking, the more requests came in and I played them instantly which got everyone pumped up and even got some dancing (without a dance floor). What about mash ups? Or special effects? Even the cheesy air horn adds fun to a backyard gig. Nope. In my book, there is nothing like having a live person running the show. The equipment looks impressive and sets the stage for something special. It gets people excited. Sorry. I don't think this app is a threat at all....not even to me and I'm only doing this purely for fun. . I think the majority of people who will use this app are budget-minded and wouldn't normally hire a DJ anyway. But, having said that, you do need style and do more than just seamlessly cue into the next song. That's no fun anyway. Who wants to sit and press sync for 4 hours?

Posted Mon 24 Jul 17 @ 2:30 pm
FumpsHome userMember since 2016
Great another event where everyone is on their phones......that's just what we need to get a good atmosphere going, drunk people in control of the music.

Posted Tue 25 Jul 17 @ 9:01 am
I see this App somewhat like a jukebox. People get tired or they're too busy at a party to worry about their music. Leave it to a professional DJ and feel that real time heart and soul of the flow of the music.

Posted Thu 27 Jul 17 @ 7:17 pm
This app is not going replace DJ's. If you are good at what you do, you have nothing to worry about. how many times has someone walked up to you to request a song that you know will kill the crowd. An app does not know who is dancing to the music being played. It cant control the energy level of the crowd. it only plays what is being requested. and we all know that not all request must be played at that moment. If you are in a small bar, this may be ok but, in a club.. No way. A good DJ is hard to replace because he or she knows how to control the crowd. Party goers are not DJ's. Each person only knows what he or she likes and that may be a risk for the entire crowd that is dancing. This is a example.. The current genre being played is hip hop and now someone request country music in a bar that plays mostly Hip Hop, R&B, Latin, reggae and dance. Nothing wrong with country music but, the crowd wont like it.

Posted Fri 28 Jul 17 @ 5:54 am
My Saturday gig is pretty random. It's in an old church converted in to a rock/goth venue.

The music is rock/alt based but I try to be as accommodating as possible. I do play most of the requests (including the ones I get from Twitter) but there are still some that are filtered out.

What I have found is that when people think they are in charge of the music they will ask for silly or weird stuff. Really heavy rap/rock /dance or really cheesy pop.

I can guarantee if I let the crowd choose all the music we would be empty within an hour.

Posted Fri 28 Jul 17 @ 9:13 am
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
@krad, That actually sounds pretty good, you're Aberdeen aren't you? I'll hit you with a pm when I'm going up that way.

Posted Fri 28 Jul 17 @ 1:57 pm
Yeah, that would be cool. Some of your scripting wizardry might rub off on me.

Posted Fri 28 Jul 17 @ 4:46 pm
There's another Point: There's no better Thing than that App to allow the concurrence to ruin your Bar/Club/Venue.

If my concurrent has this set up, I will run over in a Group and request only shitty Music with da App...after a few Weekends this Venue will be empty and the People will come over to mine where I have a professional crowd reading DJ playing.

Something similar already exists for those Jukeboxes you find in most bars and which are connected to the Internet.
There's an App that allows you to select the Bar and the Music, you even can if you pay the double of the Price Play the requested Song as next.

A friend of mine, Bar Owner always uses it to request shitty Music @ the bars Close to his Sportsbar.

Posted Wed 09 Aug 17 @ 8:59 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
There are more apps like this.

I once saw this app in a bar.
Not a bad idea for afternoons or early evenings.

https://festify.rocks/

Posted Wed 09 Aug 17 @ 9:13 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)