Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: How reliable is the Key Detection?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Ok, so for the past week or so I have been trying to sort out and clean up my tracks. Starting with getting rid of all the duplicates. I have noticed that many of the duplicates I have, the same song will say different keys. They are not remixes or anything. At first I thought it might be to do with file quality, that a low resolution mp3 might be read wrong. But i have two copies of "Boyzone-Words" in Flac. One Says it is Gminor and the other says it is Dminor. The two mp3 versions i have both say Gminor too, so I am guessing that is correct.

The reason this is important to me is that while it doesn't matter that much to me for dj work. My wife is a singer. She currently just uses itunes for her tracks, but I am trying to get her to switch and learn how to use VDJ.

Posted Wed 05 Apr 17 @ 10:47 am
Well Gm and Dm are actually harmonically compatible keys...

According to the web, the original (Bee Gees) is in G, and Mixed In Key can't decide between G and Dm, so it could just be that the particular notes used are common to both keys and VDJ is going for the minor - VDJ 7 always said things were in a minor key!

Posted Wed 05 Apr 17 @ 8:43 pm
Thanks for the input Groovin. Going to have to educate myself a bit on harmonics and keys I think. Just odd that two identical tracks are analysed differently. Though i guess they both came off different albums and were probably mastered differently.

Posted Wed 05 Apr 17 @ 9:09 pm
I'm sure I've noticed the same thing in VDJ myself before. Not sure I posted about it though.

I prefer to trust Mixed In Key (and a bit of Googling to confirm) if I really want to be certain. It also helps to play a chord over the track - MIK has this facility built in.

You can find lots of info on keys, detection and the Camelot Wheel on the web.

Variable results like this can happen because sometimes tracks don't have a large enough range of notes to 100% tie them to one key.

Posted Wed 05 Apr 17 @ 9:32 pm
Thank you Groovin. I will look into that.

Posted Wed 05 Apr 17 @ 9:40 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)