Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: A funky script donation (Star Wars Key Play)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hope someone can use this or get ideas from one of my ideas I have been playing with.

I saw one or 2 of the new DJ controllers have a feature through Serato Called Key/Tone Play where you basically play a song through the cues with key changes. I figured why manually play the tune with your keyboarding skills when you can program a button to play the song for you?

I first toyed with an old tune some of you might be too young to remember from a movie called Close Encounters of The 3rd Kind which was a short one I created but decided to make a more modern short keyplay tune.

The trick is to find the right part of a song which usually is a steady tone or if you catch it right you can do a voice during a song.

I'd like to call this button Star Wars Tone Play: (Program a single button with this code)
loop 1 & key -1 & repeat_start 'myKeyTimer' 500ms 1 & key +7 & repeat_start 'myKeyTimer' 500ms 1 & key +5 & repeat_start 'myKeyTimer' 100ms 1 & key +4 & repeat_start 'myKeyTimer' 100ms 1 & key +2 & repeat_start 'myKeyTimer' 100ms 1 & key +11 & repeat_start 'myKeyTimer' 500ms 1 & key +7 & repeat_start 'myKeyTimer' 500ms 1 & key +5 & repeat_start 'myKeyTimer' 100ms 1 & key +4 & repeat_start 'myKeyTimer' 100ms 1 & key +2 & repeat_start 'myKeyTimer' 100ms 1 & key +11 & repeat_start 'myKeyTimer' 500ms 1 & key +7 & repeat_start 'myKeyTimer' 500ms 1 & key +5 & repeat_start 'myKeyTimer' 100ms 1 & key +4 & repeat_start 'myKeyTimer' 100ms 1 & key +5 & repeat_start 'myKeyTimer' 100ms 1 & key 0 & repeat_start 'myKeyTimer' 500ms 1 & loop 0

You can toy with timing and even fix up some of the keys which I used a rudimentary technique and used the final key as the start key of 0 (this way it returns to the original key when the tune finishes) and it fits within the 2 octave max of VirtualDJ. (Which I wish was a larger range)

I plugged the song into a spreadsheet in a structured fashion then exported it to a text file then used a sed script (linux anyone? but there is also a GNU for windows alternative) to remove all the extra junk in the file to make a single liner. Then there are so many ways that people can create their one liners but that is quickest for what I'm doing at the moment.

Enjoy and if you try it out, tell me if you can catch the tune.. Remember it's just an idea but if you get the right tune and timing it will sound much better. Also post me some key tunes here of you make your own..

:)

Posted Mon 16 Jan 17 @ 1:02 am
You're doing a birthday party.. Now whatever song you play you can tone it right into the song.. Even their favorite song... It's almost like a subliminal message haha (Just the first couple bars, because I think this can get out of hand if you don't think I'm out of hand already) ;-)

Here is Happy Birthday Tone Play:

loop 1 & key -5 & repeat_start 'myKeyTimer' 250ms 1 & key -5 & repeat_start 'myKeyTimer' 250ms 1 & key -3 & repeat_start 'myKeyTimer' 400ms 1 & key -5 & repeat_start 'myKeyTimer' 250ms 1 & key 0 & repeat_start 'myKeyTimer' 250ms 1 & key -1 & repeat_start 'myKeyTimer' 500ms 1 & key -5 & repeat_start 'myKeyTimer' 250ms 1 & key -5 & repeat_start 'myKeyTimer' 250ms 1 & key -3 & repeat_start 'myKeyTimer' 400ms 1 & key -5 & repeat_start 'myKeyTimer' 250ms 1 & key +2 & repeat_start 'myKeyTimer' 250ms 1 & key 0 & repeat_start 'myKeyTimer' 500ms 1 & loop 0

Posted Mon 16 Jan 17 @ 1:34 am
lincol2PRO InfinityMember since 2011
cool

Posted Sat 28 Jan 17 @ 12:41 am
ProfLeePRO InfinityMember since 2011
very nice!

Posted Sat 28 Jan 17 @ 2:28 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)