Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Bad DJ's

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Over the last few years on many occasions I have been told that I'm a top DJ, and the bee's knees.
Hm..I've never been top at anything, and the reality is I'm an old wreck who may not be around for much longer.
OK what's going on?
I asked quite a few sensible people about other DJ's.
Two main comments were made:
1) Their always on the phone doing personal things.
2) They often go outside for a smoke.
So..its not me being good, but some of you being bad.
The customers are watching!

Posted Sat 14 Jan 17 @ 1:39 pm
I think the problem is that, its so easy and cheap to set up and call yourself a dj. Buy some cheap 2nd hand skytec crap speakers, download cracked software, or use home version and just a mouse, rip music off YouTube and there you go. They can then go around happily charging £60 a gig cash so that it doesn't affect their benefits. I wouldn't even set up for that. I would still very much call myself an amateur, but stood next to them, I'm Eric pridz. I've spent about £300 this month alone on music. Not to mention around £3500 on equipment since I first bought my first mixtrack controller last year and started this venture. And I already had around 7k worth of PA, lights and so on. That's what seperates us from them. I was at my works Christmas party recently and the dj was shocking. He was just using a mouse, so probably on home version, every mix sounded like a car crash. But guess what, nobody except me even noticed. Everyone was drunk and having a good time. So what can you do other than keep being better than them.

Posted Sat 14 Jan 17 @ 3:30 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
1/ I never use a phone when when I'm dj'ing, warned a guy a couple of weeks ago to stop doing it, he ignored my advice at the following gig I gave him, he now no longer gets any work from me, same as anyone that thinks sitting down while dj'ing is ok.

2/ Since the smoking ban came in in the UK I unfortunately still smoke, I'm out and back in before anyone notices, they probably think I'm having a pee break, no one and I mean no one including management of any venue has ever mentioned or complained when I have popped out for a ciggy break. The government at the time got it wrong but I have to live by the rules but I have never once neglected my duties as a dj when needing a quick fix, anyone complaining whether paying me or just a member of the audience wanting to Lord it over me would be told to f right off.

Since the ban, no one has ever complained... do your job right and no one has any need to complain. Simple.

Posted Sun 15 Jan 17 @ 2:06 am
+1 same as anyone that thinks sitting down while dj'ing is ok.

Posted Sun 15 Jan 17 @ 2:32 am
i'm a horrible dj.
I'm on my phone a lot (gathering intelligence and monitoring social media while keeping track of everything else in the building)
I sit down sometimes (I have a bad leg courtesy of both genetics and a short stint in the USMC that got me medically retired) but can still see the entirety of the building.
shame on me.

Posted Sun 15 Jan 17 @ 9:14 am
LOL

I've been struggling, I pulled my back on Xmas Eve, by Boxing Day morning I was lying on the floor with sweat pouring off, and I felt like vomiting due to the pain. I passed my mid week Xmas bookings on, and I was lucky that the venue over the following weekend had a pa system, and lights. I may be a bit stupid, I'm anti doctors, so my solution was plenty of rest and medication (Budweiser).

Last night was a triumph.
By myself I moved, and set up my largest rig, that took a good few hours, DJ'ed for 5 hours, then spent an hour packing up, after which I had to load up, and get my gear home. My back was aching around 730pm so I had a couple of pints of medication (everyone says bad!), and I put a chair on-stage, which I only used for 10mins early on, by 12.30am rigor mortis had set in, but the set was finished, and well!

This morning was going to be make or break..anyway I'm walking, and fit for work tonight!

Again..I suppose I'm an idiot, everybody uses doctors, and chiropractitioners.
I won't get to be a very old man, but I will be reasonably fit, and strong until near the end.
That's OK.
I'm 66 this summer.

Posted Sun 15 Jan 17 @ 10:35 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)