Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: 720p vs 1080p video - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I don't always respond immediately Beatbreaker, I have listened, and I will dwell on your comment. In fact I will never forget. Some research will be done at some point in the future.

Posted Fri 13 Jan 17 @ 7:00 pm
Classic example - Michael Jackson's Billie Jean video. You'd think that a guy in his position would've had it recorded with the best kit possible. I've been trying to find out whether it was done on video or film, and what kind. I've only ever seen the same grotty quality footage. Even now when it's shown on TV etc.

Posted Fri 13 Jan 17 @ 7:20 pm
Yes, Michael Jackson is an example, another is Lionel Richie. Many mega stars have not been recorded properly for the future generations.
However I'm still very much into this sort of stuff.
Vintage TV is my automatic channel choice!

Posted Fri 13 Jan 17 @ 7:41 pm
Y'know what - I didn't even know that channel existed! I'll be adding that to my channels now.

Posted Fri 13 Jan 17 @ 8:09 pm
The music is great but as per the content of the discussion the videos look terrible on a HDTV. Probably party the quality of the original video and partly the over the top Freeview compression.

Posted Fri 13 Jan 17 @ 8:12 pm
Vintage TV uses music DVDs, and the picture quality is as expected. I have a lot of them, some are OK, such as David Bowie. The sound quality of the channel is the normal kind of thing..@128kb/s.

Don's tools can put a gloss on a low quality video.

Posted Fri 13 Jan 17 @ 8:56 pm
bigron1 wrote :
Don's tools can put a gloss on a low quality video.

Sorry, which tools specifically please?

Posted Sat 14 Jan 17 @ 12:20 am
tellyvisuals

Posted Sat 14 Jan 17 @ 12:57 am
Using TellyVisuals, you could give your older videos a purposeful vintage look with some decorations. This is a single basic panel that uses the VDJ video and an image as an overlay. I adjusted the content rect so the VDJ video fits in the transparent area of the television overlay image. This kind of thing can also help to keep the video nearer it's intended resolution when using a larger screen.

Posted Sat 14 Jan 17 @ 1:22 am
I made a feature suggestion a while ago to have virtualdj be able to "natively" play videos in the correct resolution, eg. if your screen is 1080 full HD, a dvd would play looking "cropped" but not because it'd be correctly sized.. (and have milkdrop showing behind to make up for the black borders..)
Can tellyvisuals simply do this, and on the fly??

Posted Sun 15 Jan 17 @ 1:35 am
By the time TellyVisuals gets the VDJ video, it has already been scaled by VDJ and there is no way to get the original resolution image from VDJ. TellyMedia plays video and it has a no scale option. The no scale option will play the video at it's intended resolution if the display area is large enough to contain it. If the video is larger than the the display area, then it will automatically use proportional scale. TV also has a no scale option for the panel image display, but again, when using VDJ video for the image it has already been scaled by VDJ.TV does give you the option to resize the VDJ video image though and give it other attributes.

Posted Sun 15 Jan 17 @ 2:06 pm
The "Bars" option in VDJ is the original resolution of the video.

Posted Sun 15 Jan 17 @ 2:11 pm
That is not true Huey. The bars option is proportional scale when does not mean it is in its original resolution. It means it is proportionately scaled. If you have a video that is 100x100 for example and you display that on a 1000x1000 display, the bars option will display the 100x100 video at 1000x1000. The no scale option would display it centered at 100x100.

Posted Sun 15 Jan 17 @ 2:14 pm
Hmm I could of swore Adion told me before that if set to Bars it would play at its original resolution.

Because I know Serato has that option and I had asked if VDJ did as well which I was under the impression Bars was it.

Maybe I misunderstood him then.

Posted Sun 15 Jan 17 @ 2:17 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
As Don said it plays at the same aspect ratio. which is all you typically should care about.

Keeping the resolution the same doesn't make any practical sense to me.
It would mean that playing a 720p on a 1080p output would cover only 3/4th of the screen, and older 480p material would be a small stamp-size on your output.
On the other hand, if you then connect to a low-resolution screen (720p or lower perhaps) it would mean that a 1080p video would not fit the screen and loses parts at all sides, zooming in on the center of the image.

Posted Sun 15 Jan 17 @ 2:23 pm
I put the no scale option in primarily for testing purposes and normally you do want to do a proportional scale. But if you do use no-scale for my stuff and if it does not fit then it automatically uses proportional scale and does not try to crop the image.

Posted Sun 15 Jan 17 @ 2:27 pm
Well like I said, I misunderstood you (you being Adion).

Posted Sun 15 Jan 17 @ 2:27 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)