Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Automix Flanger Fader Loop Button [Try it out]

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Thanks to everyone. My first semi-ok effect button. Needs work but I like it already.
Basically you assign this code to a button and as you're playing a live deck hit the button when you think you got a good 1 beat loop and make sure you have a song ready on the opposite deck with a similar beat and not too far off bpm

deck active loop 1 & deck active effect "Flanger" active on & deck default goto_first_beat & deck default loop 1 & deck default play & deck default sync & deck default effect "Flanger" active on & crossfader & param_smaller 50% ? crossfader 0% & repeat_start "DrVisit" 33ms 152 & crossfader +1% & crossfader 100% ? deck right loop 0 & deck left loop 0 & deck right effect "Flanger" active off & deck left effect "Flanger" active off : nothing : crossfader 100% & repeat_start "DrVisit2" 33ms 152 & crossfader -1% & crossfader 0% ? deck right loop 0 & deck left loop 0 & deck right effect "Flanger" active off & deck left effect "Flanger" active off : nothing

Let me know what you think.

Want to see if I can have it automatically grab the first drum beat as the start point on the inactive deck. I wish this VIrtual DJ scripting was just a little better where you can group code with brackets and create easier loops/conditionals

Posted Tue 10 Jan 17 @ 7:40 pm
This code might be a little more neutral playing from both sides:
deck 1 loop 1 & deck 2 loop 1 & deck 1 effect "Flanger" active on & deck default goto_first_beat & deck 1 play & deck 2 play & deck default sync & deck 2 effect "Flanger" active on & crossfader & param_smaller 50% ? crossfader 0% & repeat_start "DrVisit" 33ms 152 & crossfader +1% & crossfader 100% ? deck right loop 0 & deck left loop 0 & deck right effect "Flanger" active off & deck left effect "Flanger" active off : nothing : crossfader 100% & repeat_start "DrVisit2" 33ms 152 & crossfader -1% & crossfader 0% ? deck right loop 0 & deck left loop 0 & deck right effect "Flanger" active off & deck left effect "Flanger" active off : nothing

Posted Tue 10 Jan 17 @ 8:50 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
A little critique,

effect "fxname" active is v7 syntax, yes it works but v8 syntax is effect_active "fxname"

Why 152 repeats? the script will be complete after 100.

You can move crossfader +1% to the false reply of crossfader 100%? [replacing the "nothing"] same goes for crossfader -1% ,crossfader 0% ?
[no biggie but less typing is less typing]

You've used deck number, deck side & deck default/active, it's best to use just one or the other, [doesn't make a difference with 2 deck setups but does with 4 decks] [active/default requires the user to switch the selected deck, which isn't guaranteed to happen]

The amount of time it takes bears no relation to the bpm, @128 it will complete in 7ish beats @175 it will complete in 9.6 beats
I think this could be improved to a perfect 8 no matter the bpm, I'll have to test some stuff.

Posted Tue 10 Jan 17 @ 11:07 pm
locodog wrote :

effect "fxname" active is v7 syntax, yes it works but v8 syntax is effect_active "fxname"

Didn't know that. Probably missed it but the documentation isn't great for this scripting language. I'll take most of the blame though.. Just so excited to be playing with a new scripting language that does something cool.

locodog wrote :

Why 152 repeats? the script will be complete after 100.

I don't remember why but when I first started working on the script I had calculated a 5 second slide= 5000ms/33ms~152 steps with a buffer. Now I made your corrections noted about a 100 maximum length and with that change it turns out with 100 and it didn't complete the full slide cycle (it didn't reach the end of the crossfader) so the effects never turned off after I moved the code like you mentioned to save typing. So I had to make it 101 as marked up below in the newest code I got working.

locodog wrote :

You can move crossfader +1% to the false reply of crossfader 100%? [replacing the "nothing"] same goes for crossfader -1% ,crossfader 0% ?
[no biggie but less typing is less typing]

Hmm OK thanks yeah I wouldn't of thought of that.

locodog wrote :

You've used deck number, deck side & deck default/active, it's best to use just one or the other, [doesn't make a difference with 2 deck setups but does with 4 decks] [active/default requires the user to switch the selected deck, which isn't guaranteed to happen]

I missed the last 2 default notations. OK I fixed that below. I did notice that left/right notation wasn't working right and figured there was some way that a user had to do the selection manually that I couldn't work out automatically.

locodog wrote :

The amount of time it takes bears no relation to the bpm, @128 it will complete in 7ish beats @175 it will complete in 9.6 beats
I think this could be improved to a perfect 8 no matter the bpm, I'll have to test some stuff.

Updated thanks @locodog

deck 1 loop 1 & deck 2 loop 1 & deck 1 effect_active "Flanger" on & deck default goto_first_beat & deck 1 play & deck 2 play & deck 2 sync
& deck 2 effect_active "Flanger" on & crossfader & param_smaller 50% ? crossfader 0% & repeat_start "DrVisit" 33ms 101 & crossfader 100% ? deck right loop 0 & deck left loop 0 & deck right effect_active "Flanger" off & deck left effect_active "Flanger" off : crossfader +1% : crossfader 100% & repeat_start "DrVisit2" 33ms 101 & crossfader 0% ? deck right loop 0 & deck left loop 0 & deck right effect_active "Flanger" off & deck left effect_active "Flanger" off : crossfader -1%

Posted Wed 11 Jan 17 @ 3:59 am
Oh man I'm liking this. Nothing fancy but for mobile DJing I can't be doing beat mixing and want as many shortcuts as possible while I'm on the microphone and busy setting up events on the floor. So between having VirtualDJ in automix mode I can disable that for a little while I'm just toying around with some effect scripts I want to create and test during less crazy times at the booth. Here this one is a 2nd version with a Hard Kick starting off the mix.

Get 2 songs and put them in Decks 1 & 2 that you are pretty close in BPM and (even isn't a total killer for different types of songs) and press the button attached to this.

What it does is start a Hard Kick running with the current beat so to keep something similar mixed between both songs and that runs for about 10 seconds then it starts a 1 beat loop and flange effect and mixes it into the next song which it creates the similar effect on the 2nd deck and then it continues on to the new deck and stops the beat 10 seconds after the mix finalizes. (Optionally you can change the script if you don't want to stop the Hard Kick after the mix)

Tip: Need to have at least 15 seconds of song left in the playing song and I'd try not to do this near vocals because then it will loop cut a vocal and might not sound too great.

set $BeatStarted 1 & sampler_bank "INSTRUMENTS" & sampler_play "KICK HARD" & repeat_start "KickBeat" 10000ms 2 & var $BeatStarted ? set $BeatStarted 0 & deck 1 loop 1 & deck 2 loop 1 & deck 1 effect_active "Flanger" on & deck default goto_first_beat & deck 1 play & deck 2 play & deck 2 sync & deck 2 effect_active "Flanger" on & crossfader & param_smaller 50% ? crossfader 0% & repeat_start "DrVisit" 33ms 101 & crossfader 100% ? deck right loop 0 & deck left loop 0 & deck right effect_active "Flanger" off & deck left effect_active "Flanger" off : crossfader +1% : crossfader 100% & repeat_start "DrVisit2" 33ms 101 & crossfader 0% ? deck right loop 0 & deck left loop 0 & deck right effect_active "Flanger" off & deck left effect_active "Flanger" off : crossfader -1% : sampler_bank "INSTRUMENTS" & sampler_stop "KICK HARD"

Still want to work on my main issue if song A is 130BPM and song B is 90BPM. Want to have this drop song A to about 110BPM and increase song B to 110BPM (which is the middle ground) and then have them sync and mix

Posted Wed 11 Jan 17 @ 5:12 pm
SerinePRO InfinityMember since 2013
This is a very cool use of VDJscript, nice work. My problem is that it often starts the second track 1 beat out of sync with the other, which upsets the rhythm quite a lot in a track with kicks and snares rather than just kicks.

Hopefully I will have a chance to digest it and tinker if you don't though - nice work.

Posted Thu 12 Jan 17 @ 6:43 pm
Hmm thanks. Let me know if you find any tweaking that works out better. Would like to see the script you wind up using.

This was an itch to start scripting with me. Going to try different sorts of things now.

Posted Thu 12 Jan 17 @ 6:53 pm
I can't figure out what's putting it out of sync. I set both tracks to go back to the first beat and that still had the issue, so I tried creating smart loops (because they were out of sync slightly, shouldn't matter though) and that stopped the looping feature altogether. I actually think for drum & bass this sounds better because the out-of-sync issue makes it unpleasant to listen to, whereas a fast transition with the flanger and kick hard sounds ok when everything is synced.

set $BeatStarted 1 & sampler_bank "INSTRUMENTS" & sampler_play "KICK HARD" & repeat_start "KickBeat" 10932ms 2 & var $BeatStarted ? set $BeatStarted 0 & deck 1 smart_loop 1 & deck 2 smart_loop 1 & deck 1 effect_active "Flanger" on & deck 1 goto_first_beat & deck 2 goto_first_beat & deck 1 play & deck 2 play & & deck 2 sync & deck 2 effect_active "Flanger" on & crossfader & param_smaller 50% ? crossfader 0% & repeat_start "DrVisit" 33ms 101 & crossfader 100% ? deck right loop 0 & deck left loop 0 & deck right effect_active "Flanger" off & deck left effect_active "Flanger" off : crossfader +1% : crossfader 100% & repeat_start "DrVisit2" 33ms 101 & crossfader 0% ? deck right loop 0 & deck left loop 0 & deck right effect_active "Flanger" off & deck left effect_active "Flanger" off : crossfader -1% : sampler_bank "INSTRUMENTS" & sampler_stop "KICK HARD" 

I'm starting to think that it would be easier to time it to sound good if the kick sample was started manually, then the loop system was manually triggered after a few bars, because as it is, it often starts the transition halfway through a bar, which doesn't sound good. But then you and I have very different goals for this - I just wish there was a debugger so that I could go step by step and see where it's going wrong!

Posted Thu 12 Jan 17 @ 10:53 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Shouldn't your "set $BeatStarted" be wrapped in quotes?

Posted Fri 13 Jan 17 @ 12:40 am
Sorry @serine. Many probably have a better ear than me and possibly test out songs that it's more dominant.

@locodog I didn't think the use of the set variable in quotes made a difference. Did that help @serine?

Posted Sun 15 Jan 17 @ 5:29 pm
I play dnb and techno/tech house so the beats are indeed very dominant and for dnb the kick/snare/kick/snare makes it noticeable. Putting the variables into quotation marks didn't help unfortunately.

This is your version with the quotation marks in case people want to copy and paste:
set "$BeatStarted" 1 & sampler_bank "INSTRUMENTS" & sampler_play "KICK HARD" & repeat_start "KickBeat" 10000ms 2 & var "$BeatStarted" ? set "$BeatStarted" 0 & deck 1 loop 1 & deck 2 loop 1 & deck 1 effect_active "Flanger" on & deck default goto_first_beat & deck 1 play & deck 2 play & deck 2 sync & deck 2 effect_active "Flanger" on & crossfader & param_smaller 50% ? crossfader 0% & repeat_start "DrVisit" 33ms 101 & crossfader 100% ? deck right loop 0 & deck left loop 0 & deck right effect_active "Flanger" off & deck left effect_active "Flanger" off : crossfader +1% : crossfader 100% & repeat_start "DrVisit2" 33ms 101 & crossfader 0% ? deck right loop 0 & deck left loop 0 & deck right effect_active "Flanger" off & deck left effect_active "Flanger" off : crossfader -1% : sampler_bank "INSTRUMENTS" & sampler_stop "KICK HARD"

Posted Sun 15 Jan 17 @ 8:36 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)