Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Quickest way to copy a list of artists and song titles to a spreadsheet? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hello,

I do Theme Nights for Karaoke and print out lists of songs for people to sing - they earn extra raffle tickets for singing the theme song. Each week it's a different theme.

I've tried a few methods of getting the songs into a spreadsheet, including the one of exporting a playlist, importing it into iTunes, and then saving it as a text file. However, this only gets songs with a .mp3 extension. It doesn't get the many songs that I have that are in .zip format. (I zip a lot of my songs to save space and weird issues with filenames getting out of sync: cdg + mp3).

Is there a faster way to get the songs into my Google Spreadsheet to format it and print it?

Thanks!

Posted Tue 10 Jan 17 @ 9:31 am
If you have them as a playlist or folder, then you can export the browser straight to excel. Whatever songs are showing in the browser, you can export to excel. There is a little dot on the left hand side near the bottom (from recollection) and if you click that you have the option. Real easy and quick.

Posted Tue 10 Jan 17 @ 9:34 am
I've done it with simple dos commands (on windows)

If you go to the music root folder and run this command, it'll put the path and names of all your mp3 files into a csv file named mp3s.csv including the ones in sub folders
dir *.mp3 /s /b -> mp3s.csv

This will do the same for your zip-files
dir *.zip /s /b -> zips.csv

Posted Tue 10 Jan 17 @ 9:48 am
I think what he is saying though is that he will create a theme and/or playlist specifically for one night and wants to then quickly print that list. Surely export browser is the easiest way for that?

Posted Tue 10 Jan 17 @ 10:14 am
Andy7689 wrote :
If you have them as a playlist or folder, then you can export the browser straight to excel. Whatever songs are showing in the browser, you can export to excel. There is a little dot on the left hand side near the bottom (from recollection) and if you click that you have the option. Real easy and quick.

Awesome, I found the way to make this work for me. I tag the songs with the theme name, search for them, export the list, import it into Google Sheets, delete the columns I don't need, sort, and I'm done! Thanks for your help!

Posted Tue 10 Jan 17 @ 10:31 am
Cool, glad you got it working, its a great little feature. Something to note is that once you have exported it to excel. you can then use it to upload to "ask the dj" so people can than access it on the web.

Posted Tue 10 Jan 17 @ 10:48 am
Andy7689 wrote :
Cool, glad you got it working, its a great little feature. Something to note is that once you have exported it to excel. you can then use it to upload to "ask the dj" so people can than access it on the web.

Had never seen the Ask the DJ option before. Just set it up. I love it because they don't have to page through a printed list, they can just select something from the dropdown and hit send. (The tip feature is cool, too)

Is there a way that I can get NOTIFIED when someone sends a request through Ask the DJ (within VDJ, not just the SMS thing)?

Posted Tue 10 Jan 17 @ 11:06 am
Andy7689 wrote :

Other than fixing my logo to a square one, and setting up the GeoLocation when I'm at a venue (I'm at home right now so it's off), any thoughts on how to improve this page?
http://www.virtualdj.com/ask/DJ__Wonder__Sean

(You can see I uploaded the catalog for this week's theme, although it's not yet done yet, heh)

Posted Tue 10 Jan 17 @ 11:09 am
As long as you are connected to the internet on your laptop, then it will come up at the bottom when someone requests something. It can be easy to not notice it though and dissapears after few seconds. Your "ask the dj" folder on the left though will show that there is an unread item in it, so make sure you can see that folder.

Posted Tue 10 Jan 17 @ 11:09 am
Yes...make sure you have a zero option on tip. Otherwise people have to pay to request. I just tried it. I mean you can choose not to accept it, but it automatically redirects to paypal with no zero option.

Posted Tue 10 Jan 17 @ 11:11 am
You dont need to delete un-needed columns in your excel file for ask the dj either, it only uploads artists and title. Just for info

Posted Tue 10 Jan 17 @ 11:14 am
Andy7689 wrote :
As long as you are connected to the internet on your laptop, then it will come up at the bottom when someone requests something. It can be easy to not notice it though and dissapears after few seconds. Your "ask the dj" folder on the left though will show that there is an unread item in it, so make sure you can see that folder.

Ah I see, I had to turn on "Monitoring" to "Always" to see the Unread and the popup at the bottom. Would be nice to get a bigger notification for it. Perhaps a Skin option or something in VDJ Settings?

Posted Tue 10 Jan 17 @ 11:20 am
Andy7689 wrote :
You dont need to delete un-needed columns in your excel file for ask the dj either, it only uploads artists and title. Just for info

It also get the remix, which is the field that I use for the Karaoke Version (Sunfly, Sound Choice, etc.)

Posted Tue 10 Jan 17 @ 11:22 am
Andy7689 wrote :
Yes...make sure you have a zero option on tip. Otherwise people have to pay to request. I just tried it. I mean you can choose not to accept it, but it automatically redirects to paypal with no zero option.

I had added it back when I noticed it doing that to me, also.

Posted Tue 10 Jan 17 @ 11:23 am
Sean Arenas wrote :
Ah I see, I had to turn on "Monitoring" to "Always" to see the Unread and the popup at the bottom. Would be nice to get a bigger notification for it. Perhaps a Skin option or something in VDJ Settings?

Yeah its been asked for quite a few times. I would like to see it as a separate option on the side list. The more people that use it, the more time they will put into developing it, but its a great feature. When i get chance i think i will create a QR code for people to just scan and be directed to it.

Posted Tue 10 Jan 17 @ 11:25 am
When I go to Ask the DJ and drag one of the options to a deck, it says Error. I have to click on it, find it, and drag the result to the deck. But then it doesn't take it out of Ask the DJ. Is this normal behavior?

Posted Tue 10 Jan 17 @ 11:25 am
Sean Arenas wrote :
It also get the remix, which is the field that I use for the Karaoke Version (Sunfly, Sound Choice, etc.)

Oh right, I dont use that field so didn't realise.

Posted Tue 10 Jan 17 @ 11:26 am
Andy7689 wrote :
Sean Arenas wrote :

Yeah its been asked for quite a few times. I would like to see it as a separate option on the side list. The more people that use it, the more time they will put into developing it, but its a great feature. When i get chance i think i will create a QR code for people to just scan and be directed to it.

Yeah I'm going to put a QR code on the cover of my printed book and on flyers and as links in my Facebook posts to promote the evenings.

Posted Tue 10 Jan 17 @ 11:26 am
Sean Arenas wrote :
When I go to Ask the DJ and drag one of the options to a deck, it says Error. I have to click on it, find it, and drag the result to the deck. But then it doesn't take it out of Ask the DJ. Is this normal behavior?

I have to be honest, I have never tried to drag to a deck, I always just click on it so that it searches for it. Not at my gig machine at the minute to check.

Posted Tue 10 Jan 17 @ 11:27 am
Sean Arenas wrote :
I had added it back when I noticed it doing that to me, also.

Its working now :)

Posted Tue 10 Jan 17 @ 11:28 am
91%