Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: ContentUnlimited - official comment - Page: 5

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Or keeping quiet like last time .......

Posted Thu 08 Dec 16 @ 2:38 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Working here.
Make sure that you are on build 3523. In case you are one of the few users who upgraded to 3543 before it was pulled back, download 3523 and install again to go back to that build.

Posted Thu 08 Dec 16 @ 2:47 pm
Thank you Adion!

Yeah, the whole time I'd been updating VirtualDJ via it's built-in updater - don't do this, it removed the Content Unlimited feature.
Instead, go to https://www.virtualdj.com/download/index.html and click "VirtualDJ 8.2 b3523 PC" - this fixed everything for the 'red results' (so far!) but the blue results are still missing. Just to be clear, the blue results are from youtube and other cloud sources (which was removed earlier this year due to 'licence renegotiation' if I remember correctly).

Posted Sun 11 Dec 16 @ 6:35 am
Hey everyone has there been a update on this issue, i was having this issue had to disable updater and go back a few builds to get working again, then last night mid gig had a crash, so not sure why it crashed but was curious if there has been a update release that wasnt disabling Content Unlimited from working?

Posted Wed 14 Dec 16 @ 4:49 am
maverick77014 wrote :
Hey everyone has there been a update on this issue, i was having this issue had to disable updater and go back a few builds to get working again, then last night mid gig had a crash, so not sure why it crashed but was curious if there has been a update release that wasnt disabling Content Unlimited from working?

Yes many post back we talked about the update. The official response is Content Unlimited is now fully working in a limited way. We are still waiting for the official name change to "Content Limited" as it is now known Unofficially. The lawyers want to drag on the whole process to score as much money as they can before the official switch to a new name.
Not to say its fully a bait and switch or misleading in any way because you can still use the service unlimited with no restrictions.... well kinda.

Posted Wed 14 Dec 16 @ 5:05 am
Gotcha, but your saying netsearch will never work again like before? If that's the case, then looks like I'll be cancelling my service soon if I ever need to update my version to newer build, gonna try to stick on this build for a while, lol

Posted Wed 14 Dec 16 @ 5:13 am
Sorry this topic is about Content Unlimited only.

NetSearch was a free non-feature service, that was bundled into Content Unlimited in a non official way to get people interested in a service that is limited. But this is not the correct area to talk about NetSearch because this is the Content Unlimited topic.

But Great News! You can still pay money for a limited Content Unlimited service! Its really a great tool to use to find out you can't get a song from Content Unlimited. How else would you know for sure they don't have it unless you can search for it?

Just imagine the satisfaction you will get when you search for a song and know 100% its not available on Content Unlimited! I tell you from personal experience when someone request a song and you can answer for sure "NO I don't have it" - Well let's just say its like that feeling you get when you wake up and find an extra bag of cotton candy left over from when the clowns left the night before! Pure Joy!

Posted Wed 14 Dec 16 @ 5:21 am
What about partering with YouTube?

Posted Thu 15 Dec 16 @ 12:29 pm
Easy answer: Read YouTube Terms of Service

Posted Thu 15 Dec 16 @ 1:20 pm
Well I just renewed my "content (un)limited' after 3 months off in the last 3, maybe 4 years. The remarkable lack of content led me here with a search. How some of you can defend this is pretty surprising. Remember when we had Grooveshark? That was an excellent feature and a cracking service. In fact it was one of the factors in me choosing VDJ over the other DJ software available. Since that time the content has seemingly become less and less. There are better options now as far as I can see, and I am currently evaluating some of those.

It's been fun, since Grooveshark went down, less fun, and with the lack of a reliable integrated source of music now it's time to move on altogether. No more monthly fee from me I'm afraid.

Posted Fri 16 Dec 16 @ 5:14 pm
Simply? When u say better options out there which services are you referring too? Reason why I loved this software was cuz it was integrated within VDJ? Can't find any services similar or better then this software before all the this went down, but always interested to see what's out there...

Posted Fri 16 Dec 16 @ 5:59 pm
Look guys/gals, VDJ is not to blame here. I'm not sure what type of "DJ" you all are. But if you have to access to illegal music sources to survive, well you are not going to make it. NetSearch was a great feature, no one is going to say otherwise.

But the short of it, any song played by NetSearch was done so illegally. This all could of been a lot worse than a slap on a wrist and turn the feature off. For Each and every songs streamed over NetSearch an Artist, Composer, Production, Etc is potentially owed some sort of fee for you playing the song.

I encourage every one to read the TOS for IDJPOOL: https://www.idjpool.com/terms/

1. Grant:
iDJPool Grants To You A Non-exclusive, Non-transferable, License To Review And Download Materials On The Website For Promotional Purposes Only.

*(Keyword here "Promotional", If you make money off of a gig from promotional music, its no longer for promotional purpose, and only grants review and not reuse.)

7. Users:
Users Are Program Directors, Music Directors, Production Directors And Mixers Of Fcc-licensed Radio Stations, As Well As College Radio, Satellite, Internet, Club, And Mix Show Dj's.

*(So Keywords here: FCC-Licensed - this covers all but Internet, Club, and Mix Show, we can try to break it down:
1. Internet; If you play any song on YouTube from IDJPOOL it will most likely get flagged and taken down.

2. Club; Bar/Club would have to have an agreement with ASCAP, BMI and SESAC and be a compliant venue. So if they don't you can't play IDJPOOL in the club.

3. Mix Show - Where is the mix show played?

You have to remember Terms & Conditions are not to protect you. Its to protect them. If you misuse the music, they want to be able to say "Oh its the DJs fault they did not follow the TOS, go after them" The TOS does not protect you at all.

Yes it sucks, yes its a grey area. No its not going to get fixed any time soon. Why? Because NO ONE can figure a way to track, trace, collect, each and every source of music made. its too wide spread of a problem. Think of the big picture and not about one small feature such as NetSearch.

Posted Fri 16 Dec 16 @ 7:11 pm
SimplyDiscoDJ wrote :
How some of you can defend this is pretty surprising. Remember when we had Grooveshark?

Well, Content Unlimited (which is based on iDJPool) is legal for DJing in public in the US and EU.
So I really prefer that, and I'm pretty happy that Netsearch is gone

Netsearch was a gray area feature - now disabled
Grooveshark turned out to be illegal and was shut down
A new Spotify integration would be for home use only, since Spotify content is not licensed for public use
The same with any of the other consumer marked streaming services

Then there is Pulselocker, which is a Content Unlimited/iDJPool alternative
I wouldn't mind getting Pulselocker integration as a second option.
But last time I tested it it was full of cover versions, which wasn't tagged, and the tagging was generally pretty bad.
That may have changed or might change in the future, so the Pulselocker becomes useable

Posted Sat 17 Dec 16 @ 7:36 am
I don't want to get into the issues of legality for playing recorded music in public, because I have very limited knowledge on the subject. All I know is here in the UK the venue must hold a PRS license. Even if they just have the radio on in the background. Lots of venues I know of use spotify to provide background music, again I know nothing about the legalities of that but I guess its fine, in fact one of the DJ apps/software I'm evaluating is very tightly integrated with spotify.

Whilst I don't rely on content unlimited or netsearch I have found it extremely useful in a pub/bar environment to be able to facilitate odd requests for music I would never dream of buying. It allows (sorry, used to allow) such flexibility as a mobile DJ with a variety of clients and events. Like I said in my other post, it was a deciding factor when I bought into VDJ in the first place.

Here is a link I just found on DDJT regarding spotify.
https://www.digitaldjtips.com/2015/12/is-it-legal-to-dj-from-spotify/

Posted Sat 17 Dec 16 @ 3:08 pm
klausmogensen wrote :
SimplyDiscoDJ wrote :
How some of you can defend this is pretty surprising. Remember when we had Grooveshark?

Well, Content Unlimited (which is based on iDJPool) is legal for DJing in public in the US and EU.

I think it's just as legal as spotify, youtube, CD's you own, or any other music source, they all require permission from the copyright holder for use in public performance.

Posted Sat 17 Dec 16 @ 3:12 pm
SimplyDiscoDJ wrote :
klausmogensen wrote :
SimplyDiscoDJ wrote :

I think it's just as legal as spotify, youtube, CD's you own, or any other music source, they all require permission from the copyright holder for use in public performance.

Not Spotify. They specifically say that their content is for "personal, non-commercial" use only.

This is from their webpage:

"We grant you a limited, non-exclusive, revocable licence to make use of the Spotify Service, and a limited, non-exclusive, revocable licence to make personal, non-commercial, entertainment use of the Content"

So basically no matter what license you (or the venue) have with any organisation, you can't use Spotify as the source of content when DJing

Will anybody arrest you for it? Probably not
(nobody got arrested for using Netsearch either. Eventually Atomix was just told to shut it down)
So it's really up to how "gray area" you want to be :)
I for one don't think Atomix should include any more gray area content sources in the software
Not Youtube. And not Spotify

Posted Sat 17 Dec 16 @ 3:34 pm
They do say that you are correct, yet they have chosen to integrate it into "professional' DJ software, which is confusing to everyone. In fact I see its integrated with DJ hardware too such as Pioneer CDJ's.

I'd feel happy using it myself for those occasional odd requests or in my own time as a tool for discovering more music that maybe I would buy. The artist gets paid, whatever nominal fee it may be, I get access to 20 million songs and while it's legal to play the music in a licensed venue I would only be falling foul of the TOS set out by Spotify. However, I believe the responsibility lies with the software company and spotify themselves as they are marketing it to DJs as a tool. Even if I were caught in the act, am I going to end up in jail? No. Have I ever been in trouble for playing music in public in 30 years as a DJ? No.

I'm probably going to purchase the software actually, it's not expensive and it plays ever so nicely with my controller. My monthly sub to VDJ will instead be redirected to spotify.

Posted Sat 17 Dec 16 @ 4:53 pm
@SimplyDiscoDJ

kinda curious what model Pioneer CDJ's has Spotify integrated ???

this I have to see...........

Posted Sat 17 Dec 16 @ 5:18 pm

Posted Sat 17 Dec 16 @ 6:31 pm
This is getting off topic so MODS if you want do what you must or let this go to distract from etc....

(this is for all not one person)
Ok just because you can't find something does not grant you rights to do something. Ignorance is not a good legal excuse.

I read your Spotify link and it clearly states:

"As specified in our Terms & Conditions, Spotify Free and Premium accounts are for personal, non-commercial use only."

*(So if you are a DJ doing a private or public gig you are NOT allowed to use Spotify. Even a private event you are getting paid for you are the commercial enterprise. Regardless of the private or public event.

To futher the point see Spotify TOC here;
https://www.spotify.com/us/legal/end-user-agreement/#s4
"You promise and agree that you are using the Content for your own personal, non-commercial, entertainment use and that you will not redistribute or transfer the Spotify Service or the Content."

*( In essence by TOC an aspiring DJ is someone in room for personal entertainment use only, in your room not getting paid. So for fun. Nothing more.

Just because you don't have the knowledge of a rule, law, etc. Does not make it ok for you to break a law, rule, TOC, TOS, etc.

Hope this makes sense. Also Keep in mind the any companies TOC, TOS, are to protect only the company and NOT you.
Read Here: https://www.spotify.com/us/legal/end-user-agreement/#s21
21 Severability and waiver
Unless as otherwise stated in the Agreements, should any provision of the Agreements be held invalid or unenforceable for any reason or to any extent, such invalidity or enforceability shall not in any manner affect or render invalid or unenforceable the remaining provisions of the Agreements, and the application of that provision shall be enforced to the extent permitted by law.

*( Make any sense to you? its not supposed too, it is to protect them....

If you get paid for a gig you are commercial use.

Please read all Terms & Conditions, Terms Of Service so you fully know. If you don't know.. ask someone. Knowledge is power, not the lack of it.

Posted Sat 17 Dec 16 @ 7:13 pm
69%