Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.1 Technical Support

Topic: Important Virtual Folder Disappeared

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi folks. This may be a dumb question, so maybe that explains why I haven't found any answers in the manual or in a Google search of this website.
But after using 8.x for over a year for the first time I've "lost" a virtual folder. I’m running 8.1 on Windows 8 on a Dell laptop.

The virtual folder – “RnB and Funk” -- got out of the order I had it in in the folder list, so I tried to move the folder back up to where it was. But it kept wanting me to put it as a subfolder in another virtual folder. Didn’t want that.

I ended up stopping the effort in frustration and left the “R&B” folder sitting under a "1920s music" folder as a subfolder. (Not at all where it belonged, of course!) And to the left of the "1920s" folder was a small negative sign. Figuring it meant that that I would just collapse it after hitting the negative sign, I did so (just to see if the "R&B" folder would reappear at the top folder level instead of at the subfolder level). But then the negative sign disappeared, was not replaced by a plus sign, and the R&B folder seems to have disappeared from the folder list completely. Since it had over 600 songs in it, I'd like to retrieve that virtual folder! I haven't closed out of the software for fear of making any recovery of the missing folder beyond hope.

Next time I'll save all major genre groupings as playlists so they will be permanent, but for now, any suggestions for things to try to get the missing "R&B" folder back into my folder list, or easily rebuild it somehow?

Posted Sun 24 Apr 16 @ 3:52 pm
You don't take a regular backup of your VDJ data?

Posted Sun 24 Apr 16 @ 4:13 pm
groovindj wrote :
You don't take a regular backup of your VDJ data?

Not recently, though now I will! I know, that parts my bad, but should a virtual folder disappear so easily, without me hitting any "delete" key?

Posted Sun 24 Apr 16 @ 5:19 pm
Navigate to C:\Users\yourname\Documents\VirtualDJ\Folders\ and see if you can spot it in there.

Posted Sun 24 Apr 16 @ 5:21 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
Navigate to C:\Users\yourname\Documents\VirtualDJ\Folders\ and see if you can spot it in there.

Thanks! I was looking in there just as your same suggestion came in. I found it. It had been renamed to "1920s subfile...." or something like that. I copied it and made it a new top level file (with old name) in Folders.

Now how is the best way to bring it back to my Folder List in the vdj interface? Close out and reopen? Reboot and then reopen? What "refreshes" it to look at the /Folders I just modified? Probably something simple I should know by now.

Posted Sun 24 Apr 16 @ 6:03 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
So it is a subfolder of 1920s folder.

Either drag&drop it in VDJ or in Documets/VirutalDJ cut&paste the RnB.vdjfolder file from the 1920s subfolder back into the "folders" folder.
Now, in the "folders" folder there should be a file "order". Open it with an editor, search for your RnB folder and reorder it to the position you want.

E.G. if the oder file looks something like this:

[Charts]
[Main]
[House]
[1920s]
[RnB]

Just reorder it to something like this:

[Charts]
[RnB]
[Main]
[House]
[1920s]

Edit:

I forgot to say: If your RnB folder contains tracks that are stored on an external or any other drive other than C: you have to do the same (cut&copy and reorder) for the other virtual folder files too.
You will find them at the same spot as on C: but the "VirtualDJ" folder will be located at D:\VirtualDJ or M:\VirutalDJ or whatever you drive letter is.

Posted Mon 25 Apr 16 @ 8:54 am
i created one virtual folder by the name of hollowen party but i put all musics inside the virtual folder when i close the virtual dj and open the bag wasn't there anymore .what should i do to recover

Posted Thu 19 Oct 17 @ 6:41 pm
Search your drive for *.vdjfolder files

Posted Fri 20 Oct 17 @ 10:24 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)