Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.1 Technical Support

Topic: License Questions

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi Guys,

I currently have an American Audio VMS4.1 controller running Virtual DJ LE (that came with the controller) on a Windows 10 laptop. It all works fine for me with little to no issues. I also have a MacBook Pro (Running 10.9.5).

Basically I'm wondering if I purchase the Per Controller License can I essentially have VDJ 8 Pro on both Windows & Mac laptops for the VMS4.1 and keep one laptop set-up as a back-up should anything ever happen to my main DJ laptop (Windows)?

Alternatively, the other option I was considering is looking at getting the VMS5 when it's released here in Ireland and purchase the Pro Infinity / Subscriber license, and move the VMS4.1 over to the MacBook.

The issue I had with the MacBook Pro was that VDJ LE never worked with VMS4.1 and support from here emailed me saying basically to buy a Pro license to get it working properly to resolve the issue.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Regards,
Rob

Posted Tue 29 Mar 16 @ 2:55 pm
The Pro Infinity or subscriber licence will allow you to be logged in to two machines at once, so no issues with both controllers or PCs.

If the LE version doesn't work on Mac, that should be fixed by Atomix. Spending all that money on a Pro licence shouldn't be required if there's something wrong with the version supplied.

Posted Tue 29 Mar 16 @ 2:59 pm
Thanks @kradcliffe.

Basically, I purchased the VMS4.1 as "B-Stock" as it was a display unit in a store, so I could never register it on here for the VDJ LE license... if that makes sense... I kept getting told it was already registered to someone else.

The VMS4.1 "works" with VDJ LE on my MacBook, faders move on-screen within software as I move them physically on the controller, just no audio coming out, and no iTunes over in the sidebar, that's my main issues. I've gone through all the steps ensuring my .xml library file is named correctly (iTunes Music Library.xml), but unfortunately in the VDJ LE version I can't get into Config, because it requires a Pro license when you click on that tab.

I was assuming that there's some way in the per-controller license to get into Config and tell the software where the .xml iTunes library file is located (in my case on an external hdd), and that would resolve the issue of iTunes not showing up in the sidebar menu???

Also looking for solutions to ensure I have cover as my mobile DJ hire business is getting busier each month and I don't want to get stuck in the middle of a wedding with a controller or a laptop gone down! Just trying to weigh up options that will result in the best money spent for the future!

Regards,
Rob

Posted Tue 29 Mar 16 @ 3:39 pm
FYI if you're working professionally as a DJ (and your comments imply that you are) then the only legal option is to buy the full Pro Infinity license or the monthly sub license.

The Plus licenses (for individual controllers) are for home use only.

Sounds rather dodgy that a store bought controller had a used LE license. TBH the store really shouldn't have accepted it back from anyone, because of the fact it contains software.

The previous owner probably though they were getting VDJ for free - but it will only work with the controller. Another scenario is that maybe someone had bought a VMS second hand, without software, then used the "take it back" ploy to get the booty.

Posted Tue 29 Mar 16 @ 4:49 pm
Thanks @groovindj

Yes I understand the Infinity / Subscription is the legal option... Was just getting up and running with the LE version that came with the VMS4.1

I think the full Pro Infinity is the best option with updates and for future controllers, and as I'm understanding it, I can have a Windows & Mac laptop both set-up and running completely different controllers at an event, which is what I'm looking for.

Yes it was quite frustrating about the LE software not working with my MacBook Pro, but the VMS4.1 itself was perfect, other than being a display model, all came in the original box, packaging etc, the only issue I had was that it wouldn't all work together on my MacBook!

So I think full Pro Infinity is the way forward, and hopefully that will allow my MacBook Pro to work with the VMS4.1 as my 2nd system, and I'm looking at the VMS5 on a Windows 10 laptop for my main set-up then as it's released.

Thanks for the help guys!

Posted Tue 29 Mar 16 @ 5:00 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
FYI, you can install VirtualDJ 8 on the laptops already. In Home mode you can try out if everything works as expected before purchasing Pro, with the only limitation that the controller will only work for 10 minutes.

Posted Tue 29 Mar 16 @ 6:32 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)