Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.1 Technical Support

Topic: How to use the headphones to prelisten?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi a have a PC with no external sound card or other dj hardware. I also use Virtual DJ home(the free edition). I want to be able to prelisten the sound from one deck while the music is playing from the other one before i make the transition. The problem i have is that i cant get the headphones to work at the same time with the speakers. When i plug the in the sound from the speaker stops not only in virtual dj but in all programs. In the setting i have selected speakers+headphones. What i should do? Thanks for reading this!

Posted Thu 17 Dec 15 @ 6:33 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
It depends on your built in sound card. If it is not a surround sound card with multiple outputs, then you probably need a splitter (Y cable). The splitter with seperate the left and right channels into a mono jack for each. Do not confuse this with a stereo cable that allows you to share a device with multiple stereo headphones.

Posted Thu 17 Dec 15 @ 6:53 pm

Posted Thu 17 Dec 15 @ 6:58 pm
I read the wiki before posting this but it didn't help me. So if i find a way for the sound to work at the same time from the speaker and the headphones for all the programs will i be able to prelisten?

Posted Thu 17 Dec 15 @ 7:03 pm
bytestream wrote :
it didn't help me.

So you didn't understand the part about using an external audio interface for headphones? Use the onboard sound for your main output, then use (for example) a USB based audio interface as your cue output. A pair of USB headphones should also work, as they effectively have the interface built in.

As it stands, a normal consumer laptop (I assume that's what you're using) is not designed for DJing. You have to add some external hardware.

Posted Thu 17 Dec 15 @ 7:10 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
The above referenced article describes exactly what I was talking about. The cable I was referring to can be found a lot of places. Hosa makes one with the part number YMM-261. But, this is something I would recommend only for using to work with your internal stereo sound card as you get to know the software. I would not recommend gigging like this.

Posted Thu 17 Dec 15 @ 8:04 pm
I wasn't thinking about gigging i just want to experiment and see how it turns out. Thanks for your answers i will just get the splitter cable and play a bit more with the software.

Posted Thu 17 Dec 15 @ 8:51 pm
Thanks a lot for your help guys but it turns out my sound card(i am not using a laptop and i have a gigabyte motherboard) is capable of doing this. So i installed a driver (VIA HD) since i found out that i haven't installed any drivers but my speakers worked. I messed around with the settings of VIA HD deck and know everything works great thanks again!

Posted Fri 18 Dec 15 @ 2:20 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)