Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.1 Technical Support

Topic: Search is creating duplicates

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

A new twist, when a title or artist is entered in the search bar, the browser is bringing up the songs, but also duplicating them. The duplicates do not work as VDJ has no path for the file. This only happens when a search is done, and seems it started a week or so ago. I am on build 2587.1086.

Posted Fri 11 Dec 15 @ 10:10 am
OldTomPRO InfinityMember since 2014
I'll be real interested to see what the answer is to this problem. I've had the same situation for months, but in my case every duplicate works. So it is mostly a distraction, but does not hamper my ability to pick one and continue to roll.

Posted Fri 11 Dec 15 @ 2:04 pm
Well comforting to me OldTom, I'm glad I have company.:) We'll see what happens....

Posted Sat 12 Dec 15 @ 12:48 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Did you check the full path for each of them in the tag editor?
Using Database Clean Up should help to remove these from your database.

Posted Sat 12 Dec 15 @ 6:25 am
Adion I did not run database clean up because all files are fine if I just go get them. This only happens when I search for a song. Here are 2 screen shots. One is the duplicate which will not work because of file path, the other is the one which will run. You can compare what the tag editor is seeing. Greets!!

Posted Sat 12 Dec 15 @ 2:26 pm
Adion I am including one more shot here that may help clarify. This is what the database looks like if I just open a folder. You can see that there are no duplicates.:)

Posted Sat 12 Dec 15 @ 2:34 pm
The file path is different. One is C (your internal drive) and one is E, so at some point you've connected an external hard drive or USB flash drive etc. and allowed VDJ to scan/browse it.

You will have to clean the database if you want to get rid of the entry for the E drive, but if you connect that drive again and browse it, the files will be listed again (and duplicated, if they exist on C too).

Posted Sat 12 Dec 15 @ 2:57 pm
Ok groov, the laptop has 2 hard drives, main is C:, D:, secondary is E:. I have never had MP3, or MP4 files on E: drive. So why is VDJ creating files from E: drive. I guess that's the question. As in this first screen shot, VDJ has pulled up a MP4 file from E: drive, that never has existed.?? And the second screen shot is everything that is on the E: hard drive. I have always had some karaoke files on E:, but VDJ has never duplicated them before now.

Posted Sun 13 Dec 15 @ 5:58 am
Hey I just thought of something!! If you look at the E: drive pic, on 12/8/2015 I copied the entire Vitual DJ folder to E: drive as a backup. Seems this is about when duplications started. Could this be causing the problem? Maybe I need to keep that folder backup on an external.:)

Posted Sun 13 Dec 15 @ 6:04 am
Update!! I deleted the Vitual DJ backup folder from E:. That fix the problem, no more duplicates! I'm not sure what the deal is here, I just always thought the 2 separate hard drives, were 2 separate hard drives, and I could do this. Guess not. :)

Posted Sun 13 Dec 15 @ 6:12 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
If you just want a backup of the virtualdj database and settings, you can copy it, but you cannot copy it to the root of the drive.
VirtualDJ will look for a database file on every drive in VirtualDJ\database.xml so if you copied that, but did not copy the songs over as well, then you will indeed get non-working duplicates.

Posted Sun 13 Dec 15 @ 6:17 am
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
As a quick extra too, you can set certain drive letters to ignore in VDJ. I saw this same issue as well, because I use iTunes playlists everything looks right (1 copy of each song) when using that. But when you do a search VDJ finds all copies listed on all drives (and DBs). In my case because the DBs were exact copies of my laptop internal drive, there were multiple links to the same song on the laptop internal drive. But only when the USB drive was connected.

Also when I did a DB clean with my USB drive connected it would go really slow (compared to internal SSDs). If you set the USB drive letter to Ignore in VDJ you will eliminate both issues. Which reminds me, @Adion can we please have a simple drive letter setting instead of Hex value? I think people don't use that feature because it is intimidating. Even I was reluctant and I know Windows pretty well, but not like that. Besides, you don't even know the values to use unless you find the Wiki on the VDJ site.

Personal advice to the OP, I would make the USB drive an exact clone of you music drive (DB on the root and all). If a drive fails, just change your USB drive to the old drive letter in Windows and start VDJ. You will pick up like nothing happened.

Warning** You can't do this if all your music was on the OS default drive (normally C:). At some point you will need an OS to boot to and you may cause issues if that is anything other than the letter the OS was originally. So a USB drive can't take that same letter. So the above tip really only works if your music was already on a second drive.

Even if you partition a physical drive that is shared with the OS ( aka C: drive), it is not enough. If you lose a Physical drive that is partitioned with the OS, you can change the USB to the other partition's drive letter. But you will still need something to boot to if you lose that whole drive (because you will have lost the OS too).

Posted Sun 13 Dec 15 @ 3:21 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)