Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.1 Technical Support

Topic: Alternatives to iTunes?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

FursaPRO InfinityMember since 2015
Hey everyone,

I DJ from time to times and access to iTunes playlists has been very useful in always having updated playlists and set lists. I also use iTunes for my personal collection and music listening needs. While iTunes is great, does anyone use an alternative software to manage their music/playlists? Is there a cloud solution and syncs offline for use in VDJ or other music software? VLC and Google Play Music for example come to mind. I am looking for a solution however that works well with VDJ.

What do you use?

Posted Mon 07 Dec 15 @ 4:49 pm
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
Media Monkey is the most common alternative. Almost noting has the playlist flexibility though, unless you go with a competitor's DJ software. But inputting your exact title into Google would have been a better start.

Posted Mon 07 Dec 15 @ 9:44 pm

Posted Tue 08 Dec 15 @ 1:35 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
What do you miss in VirtualDJ's own browser?

Posted Tue 08 Dec 15 @ 5:42 am
Adion wrote :
What do you miss in VirtualDJ's own browser?

Nothing, it's even better than Itunes. But Itunes has integration in almost every DJ-soft. So, every playlist I make in Itunes can be used in every other dj-program and is future-proof!

Posted Tue 08 Dec 15 @ 8:25 am
So it's not possible to export a m3u playlist file from the VDJ browser that is readable universally?

Posted Tue 08 Dec 15 @ 8:28 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Wasn't there an option in itunes to enable XML playlist sharing? After enabling that option you should be able to see and play your itunes playlists from within VDJ.

Found it:

By default, iTunes 12.2 and later doesn't create an iTunes Library.xml. If you're using OS X Mountain Lion or earlier or a third-party app that uses the XML file, you need to enable Legacy library XML support:
Open iTunes.
From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen, choose iTunes > Preferences.
Click the Advanced tab.
Select "Share iTunes Library XML with other applications."

Posted Tue 08 Dec 15 @ 1:12 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)